RedHat 6.1 ethernet netinstall won't work

RedHat 6.1 ethernet netinstall won't work

Post by Fisc » Mon, 18 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I'm trying to do a network install of RedHat 6.1
I downloaded created and booted the bootnet.img floppy image.

I answer "ftp" for the type of install.
It asks for the driver.
I select NE1000/NE2000 compatible for my LinkSys ethernet card

I get back the message
   /tmp/ne.0: init_module: Device or resource busy

then it bumps me back to select an install method.  Does anybody
know what could be wrong?  This ethernet card and driver worked
fine for me under RedHat 5.2

Any help greatly appreciated.
I don't have a cdrom burner to download the whole thing.

RedHat 6.1 ethernet netinstall won't work

Post by Black » Tue, 19 Oct 1999 04:00:00

why don't you install by nfs instead of ftp. you have a ethernet card. I
installed via nfs and it worked perfectly. All you need to do is download a
nfs server at shareware.com for the computer that has the files and then
share them, its not hard at all......

Quote:> I'm trying to do a network install of RedHat 6.1
> I downloaded created and booted the bootnet.img floppy image.

> I answer "ftp" for the type of install.
> It asks for the driver.
> I select NE1000/NE2000 compatible for my LinkSys ethernet card

> I get back the message
>    /tmp/ne.0: init_module: Device or resource busy

> then it bumps me back to select an install method.  Does anybody
> know what could be wrong?  This ethernet card and driver worked
> fine for me under RedHat 5.2

> Any help greatly appreciated.
> I don't have a cdrom burner to download the whole thing.

RedHat 6.1 ethernet netinstall won't work

Post by Fisc » Tue, 19 Oct 1999 04:00:00

In article

>I'm trying to do a network install of RedHat 6.1
>I downloaded created and booted the bootnet.img floppy image.

>I answer "ftp" for the type of install.
>It asks for the driver.
>I select NE1000/NE2000 compatible for my LinkSys ethernet card

>I get back the message
>   /tmp/ne.0: init_module: Device or resource busy

I found the problem.  It turns out that the "base address" and
the irq are not optional, but required.  It took me a while to
dig up the info since I didn't have a bootable system.

Once I entered:
base address = 0x300
and      irq = 10

The rest of the install went slick as snot.

regards,
fisch

Post by David M. Co » Wed, 20 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>I answer "ftp" for the type of install.

Did you check bugzilla at developer.redhat.com?  I think theres a known
problem with ftp installs.

Dave Cook

1. Modem won't work after RedHat 6.1 Install!!!

I had trouble "upgrading" to RedHat 6.1 from 5.2, and so did a clean install.
It worked really well, except now my modem won't work- even through minicom.
When I try to dial a connection in minicom it says "You are already online".  I
have rebooted..deleted locks, etc.   I am running out of ideas fast... I would
be grateful for any suggestions.

Bill

2. Convert from mirroring to RAID-5

3. Printtool on RedHat 6.1 won't work

4. kernel 2.4.1 compilation

5. Why won't my WEstern Digital AC313000 work with redhat 6.1?

6. Ode to the Advocates....

7. RedHat 7.1 NFS Won't Export same drives as RedHat 6.1

8. (n)curses problems

9. Redhat 6.1 won't start (even once)

10. Fresh Apache 1.3.12 on RedHat 6.1 won't launch at startup

11. Redhat 6.1 won't detect ISA network card

12. Redhat 6.1 PPP won't go...