Manage user/groups/rights from win2k?

Post by Mike Andrew » Sat, 01 Dec 2001 10:15:53

Has anybody heard anything about management modules or plugins that allow
an admin to manage linux users/groups/rights from the Active Directory
database (win2k mgmt)?

-Mike

Post by Eric P. McC » Sat, 01 Dec 2001 11:01:02

> Has anybody heard anything about management modules or plugins that allow
> an admin to manage linux users/groups/rights from the Active Directory
> database (win2k mgmt)?

No, but you could probably do it.  It would involve using the W2K
schema editor snap-in to add the relevant objects to the directory (to
store things like the user's home directory, UID, and GID, none of
which have Windows equivalents).  Unix Kerberos and LDAP will both
talk to AD, with some prodding.  Unfortunately, I don't believe you
can get them to work together at once.

You could also buy, from Microsoft, Services for Unix.

Now, with all that being said, if you are simply using AD for users
(and not to publish services or do anything else fancy), you can use
NIS (or NDS or LDAP or...) on Linux.  Then use Samba to configure the
Linux machine as a PDC.  It is kind of an inelegant solution, but it
will work (and be surprisingly easy to maintain, once you get it
going).

--

"I woke up this morning and realized what the game needed: pirates,
pimps, and gay furries."  - Rich "Lowtax" Kyanka