SMC elite32c ultra/redhat 4.1

Post by Anthony Kutov » Fri, 04 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to get EISA SMC elite32c ultra card to work with my Redhat
linux 4.1. No matter what I try, it can't initialize. the card is based on
83c790df chipset, which is a newer modification of an older 16-bit 8390
chipset. I stumbled upon a very vague document describing modular use of
8390-based cards, when you have to load 2 modules: your specific card
driver and 8390.o. Since I use EISA card, which is plug-n-play, however,
I can't use that method (at least it didn't work for me).

I'd be very grateful if somebody could help me get this damn thing to
initialize. Please e-mail if you have any thoughts on this matter whatsoever.

Thanks in advance.

Anthony Kutovoy
UPENN SAS Computing

Post by Paul Gortmak » Sat, 05 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>I'm trying to get EISA SMC elite32c ultra card to work with my Redhat
>linux 4.1. No matter what I try, it can't initialize. the card is based on
>83c790df chipset, which is a newer modification of an older 16-bit 8390
>chipset. I stumbled upon a very vague document describing modular use of
>8390-based cards, when you have to load 2 modules: your specific card
>driver and 8390.o. Since I use EISA card, which is plug-n-play, however,
>I can't use that method (at least it didn't work for me).

The 8390.o module is not a driver in itself. It only tells the kernel
how to do some specific 8390 core operations, such as "send packet".
It has to be supplemented with the other half of the driver (such as
wd.o or ne.o or smc-ultra.o) which is responsible for detection of that
particular model, allocation of system resources, and initializing the
card in the manner required by the particular card.

Now, in your case, this card uses the 83c790, which is also found on
the ISA Ultra cards, and that is very encouraging, as the SMC-Ultra
driver in linux may work for you. The problem is that it will never
find the card since the driver only probes ISA ports and not EISA
i/o ports. THere is also the issue of whether the mem and IRQ info
are in the EEPROM in an ISA-Ultra compatible fashion, etc. etc.

Quote:>I'd be very grateful if somebody could help me get this damn thing to
>initialize. Please e-mail if you have any thoughts on this matter whatsoever.

I suspect that it could be made to work with a bit of fiddling, and if you
are interested in pursuing the matter further then e-mail me.

Paul.

1. SMC Elite32C Ultra

Greetings,

I installed a SMC Elite32C Ultra card (EISA) in a 486 PC (HP Vectra
486U). The EISA configuration file identifies this card as a SMC8010.
Is there any Linux driver available for this card? (The kernel, 2.0.27,
doesn't detect the card at boot up.)

Thanks,

Valentin Bazavan

2. LinuxPPC and WDM

3. smc elite32c ultra

4. Finding hardware addresses

5. SMC Elite-16 NIC on Redhat 4.1

6. What do these diagnostics mean?

7. RedHat Linux 4.1 and SMC EtherPower ISA NIC

8. Solaris 8 and XFree 3.36 / 4.0.1

9. SMC Ultra's and SMC's EtherPowerII's TX-port

10. SMC Ultra vs. SMC Elite

11. SMC 83c795 (EtherEZ) and SMC Ultra driver

12. Multiple SMC Ultra Cards under RedHat 5.0 (aka 2.0.32)

13. RedHat 4.2, SMC Ultra + network = Doesn't work?