Why did some of the networking API change between libc.so.5 and libc.so.6?

Why did some of the networking API change between libc.so.5 and libc.so.6?

Post by Kenneth & Susa » Wed, 02 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hi all.

I have a program using dns_mkquery, gethostbyaddr_r and a few other.  I
upgraded from Slackware 3.4 to
Redhat 5.1 (too see if Redhat was really as easy as all told - but
that's a different story) and now I see that
my program doesn't build because the API to these networking routines
changed.  I can see this as
viable if the industry standard were going that way, but the UNIX98 spec
didn't seem to call for these
changes as I could see, so does anyone know why this happened.  The long
and short is that instead
of these routines having a return value (hostent **) which really only
pointed to something you'd passed
in (hostent *), you now have to pass in the item.  I dunno why this
change happened, but I don't like
having to rewrite API's without a reason.  Any ideas?  I'm not as good
as I should be on rechecking these

I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

kenbo "frustrated"

(Now that I finally have a gdb with thread support, I cannot build my
app to debug!  ARGH!)

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

1. libc.so.4 vs libc.so.5 ?

I've just installed Linux Slackware version 3.0. I'm finding that a lot
of applications, specifically dip, are compiled to work with libc.so.4.
Do I have to recompile these programs to get them to work, or is there
versions that should work with libc.so.5?
Any help is greatly appreciated!,
Thanks, Ken.

--

Ken Kwasnicki

2. sendmail and solaris - help needed

3. How do I relink libc.so.4 to libc.so.4.4.1?

4. Why not Solaris on Alpha?

5. libc.a and libc.so, libc.so.1libc.so.2, where is my library?

6. Linux-2.4.21-pre5-jam1

7. libc.so & libc.so.1

8. I need help with my 3COM 3c509 card...!! Please help me....

9. Using libc.a versus libc.so with FreeBSD

10. libc 2.x, libc 5, libc 6

11. why failed dependencies: libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2) ?