Realtel RTL 8029 Ethernet For Linux

Realtel RTL 8029 Ethernet For Linux

Post by yoss.. » Mon, 19 Apr 1999 04:00:00



Hello,
I've been trying to install this card on my Linux..
I have Slackware 3.6, and I didn't find any good How-to file to help me
install it in the system, I'd appericiate any help.
Yours truly,
Yossi.
 
 
 

Realtel RTL 8029 Ethernet For Linux

Post by Patrick Pachu » Mon, 19 Apr 1999 04:00:00



> Hello,
> I've been trying to install this card on my Linux..
> I have Slackware 3.6, and I didn't find any good How-to file to help me
> install it in the system, I'd appericiate any help.
> Yours truly,
> Yossi.

yust add ne2000 support to your kernel! the RLT8129 doesn't fit.
this worked fine here.

hth,

patrick

--
PGP-key (id: 0xEAD195EF) on keyservers.
<< ICQ#: 22739921 >>

 
 
 

Realtel RTL 8029 Ethernet For Linux

Post by Rainer Bro » Mon, 19 Apr 1999 04:00:00


Hello Yossi,

The Realtek 8029 chip is an NE2000 compatible chip.
I think your card is an PCI card, so you should take the NE2K-PCI
driver, if you dont have this driver availliable, you can use the
standard NE2000 driver, but you need to give the Adress and the IRQ
as commandline Parameter.

You can find them if you use the card under WIN95 in Device Manager

I don't use slackware, but i think they have a loadable module for
ne2kpci with their distribution.

Best Regards,

Rainer Brosi

Germany

Quote:>Hello,
>I've been trying to install this card on my Linux..
>I have Slackware 3.6, and I didn't find any good How-to file to help me
>install it in the system, I'd appericiate any help.
>Yours truly,
>Yossi.

 
 
 

Realtel RTL 8029 Ethernet For Linux

Post by yoss.. » Tue, 20 Apr 1999 04:00:00




> > Hello,
> > I've been trying to install this card on my Linux..
> > I have Slackware 3.6, and I didn't find any good How-to file to help me
> > install it in the system, I'd appericiate any help.
> > Yours truly,
> > Yossi.

> yust add ne2000 support to your kernel! the RLT8129 doesn't fit.
> this worked fine here.

> hth,

> patrick

> --
> PGP-key (id: 0xEAD195EF) on keyservers.
> << ICQ#: 22739921 >>

Yeah thanks, but I have a little problem..
I don't have a clue how to install a new driver to the Kernel (Linux newbie).
Could you send me to some how-to or something?
 
 
 

Realtel RTL 8029 Ethernet For Linux

Post by Patrick Pachu » Tue, 20 Apr 1999 04:00:00



> > > I've been trying to install this card on my Linux..
> > > I have Slackware 3.6, and I didn't find any good How-to file to help me
> > > install it in the system, I'd appericiate any help.
> > > Yours truly,
> > > Yossi.

> > yust add ne2000 support to your kernel! the RLT8129 doesn't fit.
> > this worked fine here.
> Yeah thanks, but I have a little problem..
> I don't have a clue how to install a new driver to the Kernel (Linux newbie).
> Could you send me to some how-to or something?

/usr/src/linux
make menuconfig  [this opens the configuration menues]
->network->pci...cards->ne2kpci [you schould kompile this into your
kernel as permanently supported]
exit the menu...
make dep zImage modules modules_install zlilo (zlilo only if lilo is
installed; now wait for about 5 minutes and reboot then)

bye,
patrick

ps: this is the way i treat SuSE, but i think it's the same with
slackware:)
BTW: i'm also new to linux (14days!!!)  

--
PGP-key (id: 0xEAD195EF) on keyservers.
<< ICQ#: 22739921 >>