ifdown question for a bond

Post by Alex Lazarevic » Thu, 09 Jan 2003 00:46:44

hello,

ive got 2 NIC's, setup in a bond0, on RH linux 7.3. system is a Dell
Poweredge 4600.

my network ports are set for 100 FD, so i need to force the NIC's to 100
Full as well. in the /etc/modules.conf, i force the NIC's to be 100 Full
with the following:

alias eth2 e1000
alias eth3 e1000
options e1000 Speed=100 Duplex=2

but my eth3 is still running in Half mode:

#dmesg:

Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Driver - version 4.3.2-k1 NAPI (020618)
Copyright (c) 1999-2002 Intel Corporation.
divert: allocating divert_blk for eth2
eth2: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection
Forcing to 100 Mbps Full Duplex
Speed, AutoNeg and MDI-X specifications are incompatible. Setting MDI-X
to a compatible value.
divert: allocating divert_blk for eth3
eth3: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection
bond0: enslaving eth2 as an active interface with an up link.
bond0: enslaving eth3 as an active interface with an up link.
e1000: eth2 NIC Link is Up 100 Mbps Full Duplex
e1000: eth3 NIC Link is Up 100 Mbps Half Duplex

so it looks like the eth3 is not getting forced to 100 Full. so my
questions are these:

1) how do i force eth3 to 100 Full? Will this work in my modules.conf?:

alias eth2 e1000
options e1000 Speed=100 Duplex=2
alias eth3 e1000
options e1000 Speed=100 Duplex=2

2) can i bring down eth3, and will bond0 still work, using eth2 as its
only NIC? i ask, cause this is our fileserver, and i dont want to bring
down bond0 unless i have to.

thanks in advance!

alex

ifdown question for a bond

Post by James Bros » Thu, 09 Jan 2003 01:38:26

> hello,

> ive got 2 NIC's, setup in a bond0, on RH linux 7.3. system is a Dell
> Poweredge 4600.

> my network ports are set for 100 FD, so i need to force the NIC's to 100
> Full as well. in the /etc/modules.conf, i force the NIC's to be 100 Full
> with the following:

> alias eth2 e1000
> alias eth3 e1000
> options e1000 Speed=100 Duplex=2

> but my eth3 is still running in Half mode:

> #dmesg:

> Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Driver - version 4.3.2-k1 NAPI (020618)
> Copyright (c) 1999-2002 Intel Corporation.
> divert: allocating divert_blk for eth2
> eth2: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection
> Forcing to 100 Mbps Full Duplex
> Speed, AutoNeg and MDI-X specifications are incompatible. Setting MDI-X
> to a compatible value.
> divert: allocating divert_blk for eth3
> eth3: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection
> bond0: enslaving eth2 as an active interface with an up link.
> bond0: enslaving eth3 as an active interface with an up link.
> e1000: eth2 NIC Link is Up 100 Mbps Full Duplex
> e1000: eth3 NIC Link is Up 100 Mbps Half Duplex

> so it looks like the eth3 is not getting forced to 100 Full. so my
> questions are these:

> 1) how do i force eth3 to 100 Full? Will this work in my modules.conf?:

> options e1000 Speed=100 Duplex=2
> alias eth3 e1000
> options e1000 Speed=100 Duplex=2

> 2) can i bring down eth3, and will bond0 still work, using eth2 as its
> only NIC? i ask, cause this is our fileserver, and i dont want to bring
> down bond0 unless i have to.

> thanks in advance!

> alex

Try;

alias eth2 e1000
alias eth3 e1000
options e1000 Speed=100,100 Duplex=2,2

ifdown question for a bond

Post by Kris Kielhofne » Sun, 12 Jan 2003 08:33:15

> hello,

> ive got 2 NIC's, setup in a bond0, on RH linux 7.3. system is a Dell
> Poweredge 4600.

> my network ports are set for 100 FD, so i need to force the NIC's to 100
> Full as well. in the /etc/modules.conf, i force the NIC's to be 100 Full
> with the following:

> alias eth2 e1000
> alias eth3 e1000
> options e1000 Speed=100 Duplex=2

> but my eth3 is still running in Half mode:

> #dmesg:

> Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Driver - version 4.3.2-k1 NAPI (020618)
> Copyright (c) 1999-2002 Intel Corporation.
> divert: allocating divert_blk for eth2
> eth2: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection
> Forcing to 100 Mbps Full Duplex
> Speed, AutoNeg and MDI-X specifications are incompatible. Setting MDI-X
> to a compatible value.
> divert: allocating divert_blk for eth3
> eth3: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection
> bond0: enslaving eth2 as an active interface with an up link.
> bond0: enslaving eth3 as an active interface with an up link.
> e1000: eth2 NIC Link is Up 100 Mbps Full Duplex
> e1000: eth3 NIC Link is Up 100 Mbps Half Duplex

> so it looks like the eth3 is not getting forced to 100 Full. so my
> questions are these:

> 1) how do i force eth3 to 100 Full? Will this work in my modules.conf?:

> alias eth2 e1000
> options e1000 Speed=100 Duplex=2
> alias eth3 e1000
> options e1000 Speed=100 Duplex=2

> 2) can i bring down eth3, and will bond0 still work, using eth2 as its
> only NIC? i ask, cause this is our fileserver, and i dont want to bring
> down bond0 unless i have to.

> thanks in advance!

> alex

You could also try using Intel's Advanced Network services that are
available for linux, go to their site and check them out.

--
Kris Kielhofner, RHCE
Wisconsin Vision Associates

1. bonding. ethernet bonding.

hmm. I'm very very unfamiliar with this thing. So when I first tried
to install it I downloaded latest bonding code against 2.4.20 from
sf.net/projects/bonding , patched my kernel with it and etc etc ...

... skipping ...

boot. ip ad flush dev eth{0,1}
modprobe bonding miimon=100
ip ad add myip/mymask brd + dev bond0
ifenslave bond0 eth0 eth1
ip li set bond0 up

switch on the other side (3com superstack 3) configured for trunking
on that 2 ports.

and then
ping $addr_on_local_net do nothing

hmm

tcpdump -i bond0 -vvv -n host $addr_on_local_net

will show me arp replies that $addr_on_local_net is on some
mac_address but
ip ne sh
will show that arp lookup is incomplete then failed

What's wrong?
Maybe other patches I've put in conflicting with this?

--
Paul P 'Stingray' Komkoff 'Greatest' Jr /// (icq)23200764 /// (http)stingr.net
  When you're invisible, the only one really watching you is you (my keychain)

2. What does FreeBSD use for authentication?

3. [patch] (2/8) Add 802.3ad support to bonding (released to bonding on sourceforge)

4. PhoenixMiser error on ULTRA LITE VERSA

5. Network cards that work with bonding ( bond interface )

6. Unix BBS Shell replacement needed

7. Network cards that work with bonding ( bond interface ) for HA

8. Compile times for kernel

9. ifdown question

10. ifup & ifdown questions

11. Bonding question

12. channel bonding question(s)

13. Ok let me re-phrase my previous question........Anyone know of good ethernet channel bonding software?