Modem

Post by Hai Ly Hoang [MT00KSTN » Mon, 26 Jan 2004 02:12:10

I've just install a new modem (internal modal). I dont' know whether the
modem is auto-recognized by Linux. How to check it (in Terminal window (not
by GUI)) ? (I do not have the driver of that modem).

If it is recognized ! How to create an account to my ISP (i've the username
and password) in Terminal Window ?

Thanks in advance

Modem

Post by Kris Sander » Mon, 26 Jan 2004 04:26:10

Quote:> I've just install a new modem (internal modal). I dont' know whether the
> modem is auto-recognized by Linux. How to check it (in Terminal window (not
> by GUI)) ? (I do not have the driver of that modem).

What distribution of Linux are you using? What kind of modem is it
(ISA/PCI)? Who is the manufacturer of the modem? This data is needed to
ensure proper use of the modem. Most distributions will not just
automagically pick up the modem and allow you to connect to the internet
after installation. This information is needed to then direct you to
exactly where you need get more info on getting this issue resolved.
Quote:

> If it is recognized ! How to create an account to my ISP (i've the
> username and password) in Terminal Window ?

> Thanks in advance

Modem

Post by Bill » Mon, 26 Jan 2004 17:30:00

If your modem is a winmodem linux sometimes has trouble working with those.
I had some type of winmodem in a RedHat 9 box that linux did recognize but
nothing I did got it to work. I found a couple of web sites that had some
info but nothing worked. I finally gave up.

--
Bill in Sacramento, California
Land of the fruits and nuts...

Modem

Post by Hai Ly Hoang [MT00KSTN » Tue, 27 Jan 2004 00:04:36

Quote:> What distribution of Linux are you using? What kind of modem is it
> (ISA/PCI)? Who is the manufacturer of the modem? This data is needed to
> ensure proper use of the modem. Most distributions will not just
> automagically pick up the modem and allow you to connect to the internet
> after installation. This information is needed to then direct you to
> exactly where you need get more info on getting this issue resolved.

My modem is PCI. (Prolink manufacturer). I'm using Red Hat 9
Which command i can user in Terminal Window to check whether my modem is
recognized by Linux ?

Modem

Post by Bob Hauc » Tue, 27 Jan 2004 02:02:00

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 22:04:36 +0700, Hai Ly Hoang [MT00KSTN]

> My modem is PCI. (Prolink manufacturer).

Prolink is the seller and possibly the assembler of the modem, but it is
very doubtful that they actually made the chips.  Conexant (was PCTel
and Rockwell), Agere (was Lucent), 3Com (was US Robotics), and Intel
(was Cirrus and Ambient) are the major chipset vendors.  IBM and
Motorola also have made controllerless modems, but they are not as
prevalent as the others.

Quote:> I'm using Red Hat 9 Which command i can user in Terminal Window to
> check whether my modem is recognized by Linux ?

You might try the "scanModem" script from <http://www.linmodems.org/>.
Or do "lspci" and it will tell you the vendor of the chipset.  The above
link has info about the major vendors.  As an example, for the Lucent LT
Winmodem in my laptop, lspci shows:

00:03.1 Serial controller: Lucent Microelectronics LT WinModem (rev 01)

Note that some distributions may come with the drivers you need, while
for others you will need to download them from the Linmodems site.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

1. Cable modem..56 modem dial up, 500K cable modem download stream...

I have 2 network cards and 1 modem in a Linux Box with RH6.
My cable modem uses the modem to start a PPP session, and the network card
is then hooked up to the VPN of the ISP.

I would like to setup a IP Masquraded Firewall to hook some of my other
boxes
behind the firewall.

I  cannot find a HOW-TO to setup the Linux box using this type of Cable
Modem.  I
have only found 2 way cable modems.  Can someone point me it the right
direction.

My problem is that I don't know how to get Linux connected, then also, how
do I configure
ipchains or ipfwadm to use the correct rule set.  Do I do the modem or the
network card.  The
network card has a static IP of 10.0.0.1 which is usally used for VPNs.  My
cable company
is of corse not supporting Linux, so I have to do it myself.  The PPP dialup
uses DHCP to
assign my address so I have dhcp setup.

Thanks in advance..

Aaron

2. About for Max for Linux

3. Modems, modems, modems

4. "Segmentation fault" in redhat linux 9

5. Modem, modem, modem, ... setup

6. Fixed width fonts

7. modems modems modems

8. slow modem

9. Modem, modem, modem

10. Where to find Kermit, X-Modem, Y-Modem, & Z-Modem Source

11. Changing from Internal Modem to External Modem

12. Modem gives "Sorry, modem is not responding"

13. Modem Driver: Creative Modem Blaster PCI DI5791