Linux as a Fileserver for Mac and Win

Post by Andi Himmelstei » Thu, 25 May 2000 04:00:00

Hello,
I have a problem with my Linux-Fileserver when a Mac-Client tries to
edit a file, which was put on the fileserver by a windows-machine. Samba
and Netatalk are running but when a Win-Client puts for example a
jpg-file on the fileserver and a mac tries to copy this file on his hd,
the mac gets an error-message "could not copy file on the desktop
because I could not find the file".
Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks a lot...

Hansi Daberger,
Webmaster Rock Hard Magazine

Linux as a Fileserver for Mac and Win

Post by Walter Dn » Sat, 27 May 2000 04:00:00

On Wed, 24 May 2000 18:28:35 +0200, Andi Himmelstein,

> Hello,
> I have a problem with my Linux-Fileserver when a Mac-Client tries to
> edit a file, which was put on the fileserver by a windows-machine. Samba
> and Netatalk are running but when a Win-Client puts for example a
> jpg-file on the fileserver and a mac tries to copy this file on his hd,
> the mac gets an error-message "could not copy file on the desktop
> because I could not find the file".
> Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks a lot...

  A shot in the dark... is the windows machine using characters in the
filename that are illegal in a MAC-OS filename... or is the filename
simply too long for MAC-OS?  Try something simple like XYZ.JPG and see
if the Mac can read it.  If so, it's a matter of asking the Windows
users to constrain themselves to Mac-legal filenames.

--

SpamDunk Project procmail spamfilter at http://www.waltdnes.org
I'm not repeating myself; I'm an X-Window user... I'm an ex Windows-user

Linux as a Fileserver for Mac and Win

Post by Andi Himmelstei » Thu, 01 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hello Walter,
thanks for the answer, but the filenames are correct and doesn't have any
special characters or more than 31 chars.
Could it be that the problem is to find in the type/creator mappings?

Hansi

Post by Bob Hau » Thu, 01 Jun 2000 04:00:00

On Wed, 24 May 2000 18:28:35 +0200, Andi Himmelstein

>I have a problem with my Linux-Fileserver when a Mac-Client tries to
>edit a file, which was put on the fileserver by a windows-machine.
>the mac gets an error-message "could not copy file on the desktop
>because I could not find the file".

Sounds like a problem with permissions.  Check what the permissions on the
file are after the win-machine puts it to the server.  It probably is
ending up not readable by the mac user.  Then look in smb.conf and see
what you have for "create mask" and "security mask".

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| Codem Systems, Inc.