Linux Newbie trying to setup firewall...

Linux Newbie trying to setup firewall...

Post by sbc » Thu, 20 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I have a T1 coming in to our router, which is connected to our Linux
firewall, which is a dual-homed system connected to our LAN.  The Linux box
sees the LAN just fine.  I have used a Win95 laptop to ensure that I can
ping the router and beyond.  Yet when I connect the Linux box to the
router, I can ping the router, but addresses beyond the router give me the
"Network unreachable" message.

I've had a couple of more experienced Linux friends look at my ifcfg-eth0,
route table, and so forth, but so far we've not discovered the blockage.
What should I be looking for to solve this problem?  I hope I have given
you enough info and thanks to the Linux community for your help.

Stephen

Post by Miguel Cr » Fri, 21 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>I've had a couple of more experienced Linux friends look at my ifcfg-eth0,
>route table, and so forth, but so far we've not discovered the blockage.
>What should I be looking for to solve this problem?  I hope I have given
>you enough info and thanks to the Linux community for your help.

We're your friends. Why not post your 'route -n' and 'ifconfig' here? It's
difficult to make a guess based on what your other friends have looked at.

miguel

Post by William Sargen » Mon, 24 Aug 1998 04:00:00

: I have a T1 coming in to our router, which is connected to our Linux
: firewall, which is a dual-homed system connected to our LAN.  The Linux box
: sees the LAN just fine.  I have used a Win95 laptop to ensure that I can
: ping the router and beyond.  Yet when I connect the Linux box to the
: router, I can ping the router, but addresses beyond the router give me the
: "Network unreachable" message.

Well, I just went through this myself, so...

My best guess is that you have invalid IP addresses on your LAN, and you need the
firewall to translate them.  I assume that since it says "network unreachable" you
are forwarding filtered packets to the router rather than using a proxy server...

It's difficult to say anything without having the ifconfig and routing tables
available.

Will.

1. <Newbie> Trying to configure MetroX, Setup fails while trying to select Keyboard layout

I have setup Linux 2.0.31 RedHat 5.0 on an AMD 486DX4-100 MHz VLB
CirrusLogic CL-GD5428 2M Video card & Promise 2300+ EIDE Adapter
What is happening? I have gotten to the config of MetroX and when I
try to select a keyboard other than default it locks up the system.  I
have to do a cold boot at that time.  All my expertise with DOS
systems is useless to me now, and I'd like to join the Unix community
and experiment with other systems.

Thank you in advance for your understanding and help.
Please contact me by E-Mail
Eric Brunelle
Fredericksburg, VA

2. segment network

3. Trying to setup firewall on linux box with two network cards, cards are not configuring correctly

4. XFree86 4.0 using more memory than 3.3.x.x

5. Newbie trying to setup Linux on second hard drive

6. **Instantly bill OVER 90 COUNTRIES with VIAWEB.**

7. Newbie Trying to Setup Ethernet Card w/ Linux

8. problem with ring buffer

9. Security newbie trying SuSE-7.2 firewalls

10. Newbie trying to setup intranet with Redhat 5.1

11. HELP - Newbie - error trying to setup UMSDOS

12. Newbie trying to setup PPP

13. Newbie trying to properly perform setup !