PPPD really this slow?

Post by Hamish Moffa » Sat, 30 Dec 1995 04:00:00

 > take around 12 minutes. Even then, with PPP it will automatically be
 > slower since there is IP overhead involved that isn't during a straight
 > download; However, I've experience GREATER throughput on certain files
 > via PPP than zmodem (usually text)... but then my carrier is 26.4K.

5M of text, you mean? Hardly a useful test. For proper uncompressible data, 5
minutes per meg is reasonable (it's about 12min/mb at 14.4, so about 5-6min/mb
at 28.8).

hamish

Hamish Moffatt                   | Rising Software, Melbourne, Australia

Cloud Nine BBS: +61 3 9886 5195  | Web:   http://www.rising.com.au

--- GoldED/P32 2.42.G1219+

1. PPPD really this slow?

It seems that when I connect using PPPD to my local ISP, it runs quite
slow.  To prove this, I connected via minicom, and downloaded a 5 meg
file over a 28.8 connection.  It took a little over 15 minutes to
download, where as ftping from my ISP a 1.3 meg file took 31 minutes.
Now is this normal, or have I miss configured something?

2. RH7.1 -> 2.4.12

3. Why does pppd cause apps to load REALLY SLOW?

4. Gnu, Stallman, Linux, NT - nice piece

5. Really, really slow connection to local server via PPP.

6. AIX 3.2 Shared Libraries with LIBPATH

7. driver: DMA really really slow

8. 2Gb core file

9. Really, really slow login with Solaris 2.5

10. NFS really slow (too slow!)

11. PPPD dialin... really close

12. Run script after pppd is connected (REALLY connected)?

13. lots of difficulties with pppd--any and all help really appreciated!