lucent wireless problem on linux dialup gateway

lucent wireless problem on linux dialup gateway

Post by cwj » Mon, 17 Jun 2002 04:30:20

I am trying to setup a laptop to be a dialup internet gateway.  I have
a IBM 390X, and all of the individual pieces are functioning, the
modem works(I can dialin and get on the internet), the wireless
works(I can connect to my other machines here), and iptables
works(verified buy using a second eth card).  But when I dialin on
this machine I get this message when I try to access my wireless lan:

"eth0: Tx timeout! Resetting card"

and the other wireless machines cannot ping the
gateway(message:destination host unreachable), and cannot ssh to the
gateway(message:no route to host).  As soon as I drop the dialin
connection all is fine on the lan again.

My personal laptop(IBM t22 running RH7.2) is using the wvlan_cs.o
module, but the 390X is Redhat 7.3 and loaded the orinoco_cs.o module.
 I have read other messages with the same "Tx timeout" error that said
this was resolved by reverting to the older module.  How can I tell it
to use the other module(it is already on the system)?  If I try to
rmmod the orinoco module while pcmcia is running I get the message
that the device is in use, and if I stop pcmcia, I get the message
that the module isn't loaded. Both of these results could be expected,
but that is the only way I know to remove a module.

Thanks,

CJ

Post by Praedo » Mon, 17 Jun 2002 07:22:38

> I am trying to setup a laptop to be a dialup internet gateway.  I have
> a IBM 390X, and all of the individual pieces are functioning, the
> modem works(I can dialin and get on the internet), the wireless
> works(I can connect to my other machines here), and iptables
> works(verified buy using a second eth card).  But when I dialin on
> this machine I get this message when I try to access my wireless lan:

> "eth0: Tx timeout! Resetting card"

> and the other wireless machines cannot ping the
> gateway(message:destination host unreachable), and cannot ssh to the
> gateway(message:no route to host).  As soon as I drop the dialin
> connection all is fine on the lan again.

> My personal laptop(IBM t22 running RH7.2) is using the wvlan_cs.o
> module, but the 390X is Redhat 7.3 and loaded the orinoco_cs.o module.
>  I have read other messages with the same "Tx timeout" error that said
> this was resolved by reverting to the older module.  How can I tell it
> to use the other module(it is already on the system)?  If I try to
> rmmod the orinoco module while pcmcia is running I get the message
> that the device is in use, and if I stop pcmcia, I get the message
> that the module isn't loaded. Both of these results could be expected,
> but that is the only way I know to remove a module.

To change the module from orinoco_cs, you will need to edit your
/etc/pcmcia/config file.  Look first at what you card is identified as (if
you are running KDE open up the Control Center and then open the
Information list, then PCMCIA.  On my laptop, this shows slot 0 has an
"Intersil PRISM2 11Mbps Wireless Adaptor".  See what yours says and then
look for that entry in your /etc/pcmcia/config file.  Change the bind so
that instead of having "orinoco_cs" in it, it has "wvlan_cs" or
"wavelan_cs"...the wvlan_cs is newer, I believe.  Restart your PCMCIA
service or pull and reinsert your card.  If you've edited the correct line
then you will now see that wvlan_cs is loaded instead of orinoco_cs.

I just changed from wvlan_cs to orinoco_cs hoping that it would work better
and have better wireless extensions support.  It does but on the other
hand, I have almost the same problem you do.

On my laptop with its PRISM2 card I am using the new Prism2 hostap_cs
driver so I can use the laptop as a regular wireless client or as an Access
Point.  I have had no luck getting and ad-hoc connection going between my
laptop and desktop - the desktop has an Orinoco Gold card.  I can SEE the
orinoco broadcasting LLCs (via kismet wireless sniffing on my laptop) but
1) my /var/log/messages is loaded with "Tx timeouts, resetting device"
messages, and 2) inspite of setting up my laptop for an adhoc connection to
my desktop, no pings get through (destination host unreachable) either
direction.  I then tried setting up my laptop as an access point
(successfully! Nice driver) and setting my desktop to "managed".  It saw my
laptop/access point, my access point "saw" the desktop and did its AP stuff
but STILL no ping either direction (destination host unreachable).  Still
have the Tx timeouts, resetting card *in my /var/log/messages.  There
is something f*cked with the orinoco_cs driver, is all I can conclude.  I
have successfully connected to a network in the past with my laptop and its
prism card so I know IT is OK.  I have yet to pull the same thing with the
Orinoco Gold.  Piece-of-*card.

Try the wvlan_cs driver as I described.  That's my next move too.

praedor

1. RH 8.0, Lucent/Orinoco Wireless Card, MTU/Fragmentation-Problem

Hello, I am trying set up my RH 8.0-Installation (with latest Patches) to
work with my newly bought Lucent/Orinoco Silver Card (with Firmware 8.42).

At the first look everything (ping) is working fine, but whenever I use http
problems occur when requesting larger objects (e.g. graphics within pages),
transmission interrupts leaving scramble pages.

This seems to be some MTU / Fragementation Problem, I already played around
with the various configuration options, but as of now without success.

Anyone any Ideas?
Guido

PS: Same Card on the same Laptop under W2K works fine...

___
news at thater dot net

2. Apache & ASP

3. 4.3-STABLE: problems with Lucent wireless module

4. J30 Substituted for a J50

5. Problems with Lucent Tech (Orinoco) wireless card

6. Cluster Patches

7. problems with lucent wireless when dialing in

8. 'netstat -s' question

9. Wireless problems with Lucent Tech card

10. Lucent Orinoco Wireless card with Debian Linux?

11. Anyone used a Lucent/Agere ORiNOCO Gold wireless card successfully under Linux?

12. [ Lucent USB wireless NIC on Linux ]

13. Lucent orinoc wireless mini pci card on linux 2.4.26