Forwarding UDP

Post by Jay Thorn » Fri, 05 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I have Win95/Starcraft here on a masqueraded subnet.  It works fine for web
and other TCP stuff, but the battle.net stuff wants port 6112 for itself
with all communciation happening in UDP.  Now
I tried

ipfwadm -F -a -P udp -S0.0.0.0/0 6112 -D internalmachine 6112

to forward all the packets, but that does not work because
it just means "accept all packets destined for the internal machine", but
since its masqueraded, all the packets are addressed to the firewall
machine.

So, what do I do? Is there a thing that will forward a port to
another machine, fairly transparently?

--

Http://net.result.com
Zoom 505 Effect page http://net.result.com/~jay

Forwarding UDP

Post by Colin Stuckles » Sat, 06 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> I have Win95/Starcraft here on a masqueraded subnet.  It works fine for web
> and other TCP stuff, but the battle.net stuff wants port 6112 for itself
> with all communciation happening in UDP.  Now
> I tried

> ipfwadm -F -a -P udp -S0.0.0.0/0 6112 -D internalmachine 6112

> to forward all the packets, but that does not work because
> it just means "accept all packets destined for the internal machine", but
> since its masqueraded, all the packets are addressed to the firewall
> machine.

> So, what do I do? Is there a thing that will forward a port to
> another machine, fairly transparently?

> --

Jay,

You want ipautofw. It will do the port forwarding for you.
Tell it to forward incoming connections on port 6112 of the
linux box to port 6112 of the internal machine.

Using this method you can also do things such as set up a web
server on the internal machine, and have outside users access it
by port forwarding on the linux box. eg: Put the web server on port
80 of the internal machine, and set ipautofw to forward port
8080 requests on the linux box to port 80 on the internal machine.
Thus, outside users can hit http://linuxbox:8080 and it will serve
up the page from your internal machine's web server.

Good luck.

--

Network Administrator
Revenue Canada

Forwarding UDP

Post by Jason McCarv » Fri, 19 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>I have Win95/Starcraft here on a masqueraded subnet.  It works fine for web
>and other TCP stuff, but the battle.net stuff wants port 6112 for itself
>with all communciation happening in UDP.  Now
>I tried

>ipfwadm -F -a -P udp -S0.0.0.0/0 6112 -D internalmachine 6112

You might try this:
ipfwadm -F -a -P udp -S 0.0.0.0/0 6112 -D internalmachine 1024:65535

If I am thinking clearly, when the internal machine sends out a packet
to another machine's  port 6112, the port it came from isn't
necessairly 6112, infact, it's probably not 6112.  It could be pretty
much any port over 1024.  When the external machine responds, it sends
from it's 6112 port to the internal machine's whatever port it was it
sent out on.  Something like that anyway :)

Forwarding UDP

Post by ste.. » Mon, 22 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>>I have Win95/Starcraft here on a masqueraded subnet.  It works fine for web
>>and other TCP stuff, but the battle.net stuff wants port 6112 for itself
>>with all communciation happening in UDP.  Now
>>I tried

>>ipfwadm -F -a -P udp -S0.0.0.0/0 6112 -D internalmachine 6112

>You might try this:
>ipfwadm -F -a -P udp -S 0.0.0.0/0 6112 -D internalmachine 1024:65535

>If I am thinking clearly, when the internal machine sends out a packet
>to another machine's  port 6112, the port it came from isn't
>necessairly 6112, infact, it's probably not 6112.  It could be pretty
>much any port over 1024.  When the external machine responds, it sends
>from it's 6112 port to the internal machine's whatever port it was it
>sent out on.  Something like that anyway :)

I have tried to set up a complete incoming/outgoing redirection of UDP
packets, but nothing works.  I have found the ipfwd util, but I can't
figure out how to use it cause there's no doc with it.

Hope it works out soon, 'm *ed to this game.......

Steven Devijver

1. Ipfwadm forwarding UDP and TCP packets- how?

read this in a FAQ, but I don't know how to do it, can anyone out there help
me out?
checked some FAQs but not sure what to make of them

-David-

"it does require that certain TCP & UDP ports be open for you to be able to
host or join outside of your local network. You will need to  open TCP & UDP
ports 47624 and 2300-2399 on the proxy server. "

2. Trackers (editors) for FreeBSD?

3. forwarding UDP/1604 with iptables

4. TCP/IP HUNG SOCKETS ->FIN_WAIT2

5. Forwarding UDP port

6. Support alternatives to Intel, Sign the Linux on PowerPC Petition!

7. forwarding UDP/1604 with iptables

8. Kwin doesn't manage non-KDE windows. Why?

9. Forwarding UDP Packets using SNAT

10. Help with Masquerading / Forwarding UDP

11. Forwarding udp packets

12. How do you forward UDP broadcast in Linux?

13. forwarding UDP packets