Getting W2K to access the internet thru Linux

Getting W2K to access the internet thru Linux

Post by chris lockar » Thu, 12 Oct 2000 04:00:00



Hi folks,
Quick question that may be easily answered =).  I have linux and W2k
working on separate computers in a network in my house.  I currently use
WinGate to get my W2k machine to access the internet, however, it is
only possible to do this if win98 is running on my linux machine.

Is there any (cheap or free) way to get my W2k machine to recognize the
Linux machine over the network and use it to access the internet without
using some kind of software like WinGate?

Thanks for your help,

p.s. Please e-mail reply if it isn't too much trouble.

 
 
 

Getting W2K to access the internet thru Linux

Post by bluste » Thu, 12 Oct 2000 04:00:00



Quote:> Hi folks,
> Quick question that may be easily answered =).  I have linux and W2k
> working on separate computers in a network in my house.  I currently use
> WinGate to get my W2k machine to access the internet, however, it is
> only possible to do this if win98 is running on my linux machine.

ouch...

Quote:> Is there any (cheap or free) way to get my W2k machine to recognize the
> Linux machine over the network and use it to access the internet without
> using some kind of software like WinGate?

Sure is, comes with linux.
This "step by step" should help!

http://www.redhat.com/mirrors/LDP/HOWTO/mini/Home-Network-mini-HOWTO....

Bluster

> Thanks for your help,

> p.s. Please e-mail reply if it isn't too much trouble.


 
 
 

Getting W2K to access the internet thru Linux

Post by Steve Jorgens » Fri, 13 Oct 2000 09:43:31


You need to set up IP Masquerading on your Linux system, and tell the
W2K machine to use the IP address of the linux box (on the internal
network) as its primary gateway.  In addition, you may have to install
masquerading patches for some of the Internet services you want to use
(quake, cuseeme, pptp, etc.).



>Hi folks,
>Quick question that may be easily answered =).  I have linux and W2k
>working on separate computers in a network in my house.  I currently use
>WinGate to get my W2k machine to access the internet, however, it is
>only possible to do this if win98 is running on my linux machine.

>Is there any (cheap or free) way to get my W2k machine to recognize the
>Linux machine over the network and use it to access the internet without
>using some kind of software like WinGate?

>Thanks for your help,

>p.s. Please e-mail reply if it isn't too much trouble.

 
 
 

Getting W2K to access the internet thru Linux

Post by chris lockar » Fri, 13 Oct 2000 11:25:48



> Hi folks,
> Quick question that may be easily answered =).  I have linux and W2k
> working on separate computers in a network in my house.  I currently use
> WinGate to get my W2k machine to access the internet, however, it is
> only possible to do this if win98 is running on my linux machine.

> Is there any (cheap or free) way to get my W2k machine to recognize the
> Linux machine over the network and use it to access the internet without
> using some kind of software like WinGate?

> Thanks for your help,

> p.s. Please e-mail reply if it isn't too much trouble.

thank you guys so much.  The help is definitely appreciated!
~Chris