yp login fails, ls -l works fine ?!

Post by Steffen Neuma » Wed, 11 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Hi!

We have the followin problem with NYS:

No User can login on our lab machines. That's bad.

But NYS works otherwise:
If root logs in (root passwd in /etc/passwd) a ls -l maps all
UIDs (from the NFS mounted homedirs) to usernames  correctly.
A ypcat passwd returns everything fine.

Even /bin/login seems to be NYS aware:
If we start ypserv with -d debug it shows that during a login a yp request
returns the password.

Our Setup:
Server: Slackware 2.3, ypserv is 0.13.1

Client: Slackware 3.0.0 ypbind

Client and Server are in different ethernet segments and different DNS domains.
But if ls -l and ypcat work that shouldn't matter. Should it ?

Has the passwd encryption changed ?

Anybody with similar probs, or in what direction should we point our
investigations ? Thanx,

Steffen

Steffen Neumann                      Computer science is the dangerous

--
Steffen Neumann                      Computer science is the dangerous

yp login fails, ls -l works fine ?!

Post by Mitch DSou » Thu, 12 Oct 1995 04:00:00

-->
-->Hi!
-->
[...]

Is /bin/login statically or dynamically linked ? Are you sure it is not
just querying for uid/gid's because as far as I know Slackware uses shadow
passwords !

Just recompile a login if all else fails because it works perfectly as far
as I'm concerned. Also what libc version ???????

Mitch

Post by Bodo Bau » Tue, 31 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>-->
>-->Hi!
>-->
>-->We have the followin problem with NYS:
>-->
>-->No User can login on our lab machines. That's bad.
>-->
>-->But NYS works otherwise:
>-->If root logs in (root passwd in /etc/passwd) a ls -l maps all
>-->UIDs (from the NFS mounted homedirs) to usernames  correctly.
>-->A ypcat passwd returns everything fine.
>-->
>-->Even /bin/login seems to be NYS aware:
>-->If we start ypserv with -d debug it shows that during a login a yp request
>-->returns the password.
>-->
>-->Our Setup:
>-->Server: Slackware 2.3, ypserv is 0.13.1
>-->
>-->Client: Slackware 3.0.0 ypbind
>-->
>-->Client and Server are in different ethernet segments and different DNS domains.
>-->But if ls -l and ypcat work that shouldn't matter. Should it ?
>-->
>-->Has the passwd encryption changed ?
>-->
>-->Anybody with similar probs, or in what direction should we point our
>-->investigations ? Thanx,

>Is /bin/login statically or dynamically linked ? Are you sure it is not
>just querying for uid/gid's because as far as I know Slackware uses shadow
>passwords !

>Just recompile a login if all else fails because it works perfectly as far
>as I'm concerned. Also what libc version ???????

Slackware 3.0 comes up with a new libc which needs a /etc/passwd like
this for yp:

root:noChance:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
+

Note that the last line contains only '+' no more need for things like
'+:*:0:0:::'. For more info look in /usr/doc/yp-clients-1.6

Ciao,
        BB
--
Bodo Bauer  -  S.u.S.E. GmbH  -  Gebhardtstr. 2  -  90762 Fuerth  -  Germany
fon +49-911-740530   -    fax +49-911-7409821   -    mailbox +49-911-7409822

1. FTP login ok but put/ls failed

Hi all,

We have two AIX machines A and B, they are both behind different
firewalls. A can ftp to other servers, A try to ftp to B and gets
connect ok and type a login and password, but then if you type a put
command or an ls command it will just sit there forever until it times
out.
Does anyone get this before? Thanks.

Regards,
Phillip Guan

2. Linking servers using a serial cable

3. ppp can't reestablish link with with login script, works fine without

4. Printer setup

5. All network services work fine, traceroute fails.

6. IP addr to text file

7. RH 7.1 system working fine EXCEPT for login

8. Help!Copy disk

9. Sound works fine but no no sound at login in Gnome

10. wu-ftp; chroot /usr/.../bin/ls works; not with login

11. WU.FTPD: ls fails but nlist works - configuration error?

12. ls and ls -l does not work in directory with large amount of files.

13. PPPD w/ PAP not working, works fine w/o PAP