Down the network?

Post by spense.. » Sat, 02 Dec 2000 04:00:00

I have a Linux box running as a gateway/firewall.  If I need or want to
reboot it, is it recommended to down the network first?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Down the network?

Post by Bill Pit » Sat, 02 Dec 2000 04:00:00

> I have a Linux box running as a gateway/firewall.  If I need or want to
> reboot it, is it recommended to down the network first?

What do you mean by "down the network" ?

Just reboot the machine...

1. Interfaces don't go down when network is physically down

On FreeBSD 3.0-RELEASE, when you physically break an ethernet (eg, unplug
the cable) the host still thinks the interface is up and can still
ping it.  Is there any way to avoid that scenario - ie, when you break
an interface, have it be really broken, down, unpingable?

The reason I ask is that a physically down ethernet network interface
does not appear to be visible FreeBSD (or to gated) which means that
OSPF really doesn't work properly.

For example, two machines, three networks:

            +------+            +------+
----net1----| box1 |----net2----| box2 |----net3----
            +------+            +------+

If box1 is announcing net1 to box2 via OSPF, and I physically take
down the net1 interface on box1, box1's gated never knows it, keeps
announcing the route to box2.  box2 can still reach the net1 interface on
box1, even though net1 should really be unreachable via box1.

Any work-around for this?

[FYI, this is not really a FreeBSD-specific problem - Linux and Solaris
also appear to fail this test.]

--Paul

2. HELP: ext2 partition corrupted, e2fsck can't fix

3. NFS: When one server goes down, entire network slows down to a crawl.

4. Sound Blaster Vibra 16

5. Router taking down the network when in idle mode - HELP

6. seeking video driver for solaris 8

7. Linux box slowing down my network.

8. 770E hangs on install

9. listening to a UPS, and shutting down a network

10. ethernet card problems - NIC down if network burp occurs

11. Summary: ethernet card down if network burps

12. Very strange, wireless NIC brings down my network!

13. How to up or down a network interface from a program?