Routing behind a firewall ?!

Post by Tuvik Bek » Mon, 09 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Hi all,

I'm connecting my standalone PC to my university cc by ppp. The dialup server
has a firewall implemented, that prevents direct contact to a large range of
remote hosts (in fact I can only directly connect to hosts in Israel, with an
address that ends with '.il').
If I want to telnet a '.edu' address, for instance, I have to first login to
a local (.il) account, and then telnet from there. As for other tcp/ip
applications - the problem is easily solved if they know how to use a proxy
server (as netscape does).

While working in Windows, I worked around the problem by obtaining a set of
applications that all knew how to utilize a proxy server. Now I switched to
Linux and such apps. seem hard to find... (except netscape, of course :-)
I wondered if there is any more general solution to the problem - something
like specifying a route like:
local PC-->dialup server-->local (.il) relay-->out to the world
I have no idea if this, or any other general solution, is at all possible,
but would like to hear any suggestions.

Alternatively, I'd probably have to settle for a bunch of net apps. (ftp,
finger, etc.) for linux, that know how to handle a proxy server. If anybody
knows of such apps. please let me know.

Many thanks!

Tuvik Beker

Routing behind a firewall ?!

Post by Nabil Saad (GI05-A » Mon, 09 Oct 1995 04:00:00

: Hi all,
hi tuvik,
        Maybe you should try and get socksified binaries. Provided
that the firewalled site runs a socks-server ...

: Tuvik Beker

                        Best luck, Nabil.
Nabil, Having a hard time pushing linux to|#|  .... Linux 1.3 ....
its limits. Funny enough.....   it doesn't|#|  it will bring fun back
seem to have any :))).  BRAVO EVERYBODY !!|#|      to computing

1. FreeBSD and natd - routing from behind firewall to behind firewall.

Having a strange problem with a FreeBSD gateway/firewall system I set up.
The gateway connects a small network to an ADSL line and has three static
external IP addresses.  I am using natd to provide access to the Internet
for computers in the internal LAN.

One of the machines behind the firewall is a web server and I use a natd
line similar to the following to route incoming connections to that box:

redirect_address 192.168.1.100 xxx.xxx.xxx.1

In this case the real IP of the web server is 192.168.1.100 and it is
accessed from outside the LAN by the address xxx.xxx.xxx.1.  This works.

The problem is that if any of the computers on the internal LAN try to
access the web server at xxx.xxx.xxx.1 it doesn't work.  I can access the
web server fine from inside the LAN using the local address (192.168.1.100).

I suspect there is a simple solution to this problem.  Can anyone explain
what it is?

Thanks,
Don

2. Linux and PPP

3. FTP server behind linux firewall communicating w/ FTP behind linux firewall

4. How do I restore Suspend/Shutdown key?

5. routing problem: 16 INET IP's behind a firewall

6. Backup and verify

7. Traffic routing for Multiple Web & Mail Servers behind a single linux firewall

8. xxgdb

9. routing 2 subnets behind a firewall

10. FTP server behind on firewall FTP client behind another

11. ping from behind firewall, but not on firewall

12. firewall behind a firewall

13. IPChains firewall behind firewall problem