DHCP not working when booting, works after login

DHCP not working when booting, works after login

Post by Severin Greime » Mon, 09 Sep 2002 09:21:08

Hi everybody,

I got a confusing problem. I have about ten almost identically set up X
terminals which use DHCP to set up their networking. Two of them are
causing me headaches. When booting they request an IP address from the DHCP
server, the server makes the correct offer, but they prefer not to
acknowledge and instead time out, leaving their network configuration
undone. If I then login and run "/etc/init.d/networking start" they
suddenly behave correctly and take the offered IP address from the server.

dhcpd.conf looks like this:

----cut----
group {
        use-host-decl-names on;
        option routers 192.168.1.1;
        option broadcast-address 192.168.1.255;

        host hobbes {
                fixed-address hobbes;
                hardware ethernet 00:50:22:39:39:6C;
        }

        host kant {
                fixed-address kant;
                hardware ethernet 00:50:22:39:39:78;
        }

        host [...]

----cut----

All terminals have the same NIC (Realtek 8139) and run the same system and
kernel. Only those two are making trouble.

I'm running Debian unstable with dhcpd and dhcpcd (dhclient didn't work
neither).

I'd very much appreciate any hint on how I can find out what the problem is.

Thanks,

Severin

DHCP not working when booting, works after login

Post by Germann Arlingto » Mon, 09 Sep 2002 23:24:00

On Sunday 08 Sep 2002 00:21 in comp.os.linux.networking group someone called

> Hi everybody,

> I got a confusing problem. I have about ten almost identically set up X
> terminals which use DHCP to set up their networking. Two of them are
> causing me headaches. When booting they request an IP address from the
> DHCP server, the server makes the correct offer, but they prefer not to
> acknowledge and instead time out, leaving their network configuration
> undone. If I then login and run "/etc/init.d/networking start" they
> suddenly behave correctly and take the offered IP address from the server.

> dhcpd.conf looks like this:

> ----cut----
> group {
>         use-host-decl-names on;
>         option routers 192.168.1.1;
>         option broadcast-address 192.168.1.255;

>         host hobbes {
>                 fixed-address hobbes;
>                 hardware ethernet 00:50:22:39:39:6C;
>         }

>         host kant {
>                 fixed-address kant;
>                 hardware ethernet 00:50:22:39:39:78;
>         }

>         host [...]

> ----cut----

> All terminals have the same NIC (Realtek 8139) and run the same system and
> kernel. Only those two are making trouble.

> I'm running Debian unstable with dhcpd and dhcpcd (dhclient didn't work
> neither).

> I'd very much appreciate any hint on how I can find out what the problem
> is.

> Thanks,

> Severin

What about workstattion logs? Does the ws receive DHCP server reply and then
choose not to ack? Or does it try to ack, but the ack does not get through?
--
G.Arlington
== The more you know, then better you realise how little you really know.

Post by Severin Greime » Tue, 10 Sep 2002 09:03:32

> What about workstattion logs? Does the ws receive DHCP server reply and
> then choose not to ack? Or does it try to ack, but the ack does not get
> through?

I'm currently not sitting in front of the clients, so I can't tell you for
sure from memory what their logs are saying, but I think they seem to never
get anything from the server. The server log however says:

Sep  9 01:27:25 leviathan dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER from 00:50:22:39:39:78 via
eth0
Sep  9 01:27:25 leviathan dhcpd: DHCPOFFER on 192.168.1.11 to
00:50:22:39:39:78 via eth0
Sep  9 01:27:29 leviathan dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER from 00:50:22:39:39:78 via
eth0
Sep  9 01:27:29 leviathan dhcpd: DHCPOFFER on 192.168.1.11 to
00:50:22:39:39:78 via eth0
Sep  9 01:27:37 leviathan dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER from 00:50:22:39:39:78 via
eth0
Sep  9 01:27:37 leviathan dhcpd: DHCPOFFER on 192.168.1.11 to
00:50:22:39:39:78 via eth0
Sep  9 01:27:53 leviathan dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER from 00:50:22:39:39:78 via
eth0
Sep  9 01:27:53 leviathan dhcpd: DHCPOFFER on 192.168.1.11 to
00:50:22:39:39:78 via eth0

The MAC address is right as is the IP address.
I will present workstation logs as soon as possible.

Thanks for helping

Severin

DHCP not working when booting, works after login

Post by Severin Greime » Wed, 11 Sep 2002 00:42:49

Okay, I have checked the workstation logs, and they really never get the
offer or ack sent by the server...

Here's what the clients' dhcpcd run with option -d says when booting:

--------- cut ---------
Configuring network interfaces: eth0: Setting 100mbps full-duplex \
        based on auto-negotiated partner ability 45e1

dhcpcd: MAC address = 00:50:22:39:39:78
dhcpcd[101]: broadcasting DHCP_REQUEST for 192.168.1.11

dhcpcd[101]: timed out waiting for DHCP_ACK response

dhcpcd[101]: broadcasting DHCP_DISCOVER

dhcpcd[101]: timed out waiting for a valid DHCP server response

done.
--------- cut ---------

I've checked the network traffic with ethereal and the packets sent during
the failing boot-time DHCP negotiation seem to be identical with those sent
during the successful negotiation after haved logged in...

I've also purged the dhcpd on the server and reinstalled it. Same results.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Severin

DHCP not working when booting, works after login

Post by Germann Arlingto » Sat, 14 Sep 2002 03:42:12

On Monday 09 Sep 2002 15:42 in comp.os.linux.networking group someone called

> Okay, I have checked the workstation logs, and they really never get the
> offer or ack sent by the server...

> Here's what the clients' dhcpcd run with option -d says when booting:

> --------- cut ---------
> Configuring network interfaces: eth0: Setting 100mbps full-duplex \
>         based on auto-negotiated partner ability 45e1

> dhcpcd: MAC address = 00:50:22:39:39:78
> dhcpcd[101]: broadcasting DHCP_REQUEST for 192.168.1.11

> dhcpcd[101]: timed out waiting for DHCP_ACK response

> dhcpcd[101]: broadcasting DHCP_DISCOVER

> dhcpcd[101]: timed out waiting for a valid DHCP server response

> done.
> --------- cut ---------

> I've checked the network traffic with ethereal and the packets sent during
> the failing boot-time DHCP negotiation seem to be identical with those
> sent during the successful negotiation after haved logged in...

> I've also purged the dhcpd on the server and reinstalled it. Same results.

> Any ideas?

> Thanks

> Severin

Sorry, could not reply earlier.
The reason is most likely to be more conservative firewall/filtering
settings (or missconfiguration) at boot, once you log in your personal
setting might take effect and allow incoming dhcp traffic.
Do you have a firewall script running at startup, or are you using default
configuration? Check what the settings are at eth-up and later...
--
G.Arlington
== The more you know, then better you realise how little you really know...
If in doubt type format c:/u/autotest at DOS prompt... and install Linux

1. Keyboard works during boot sequence, but not at login prompt

Is this weird?
I've tried multiple keyboards...
Now, I have changed the motherboard in the box...everything else works
fine (2 hd's, cdrom, floppy...)
When I'm prompted for things during boot (choosing kernel at LILO and
kudzu), it works fine.
I'm using RH 7.3, kernel 2.4.24 if that helps...

Thanks a lot

Mike

2. anyone seen this weird message --> "neighbor table overflow"

3. Works statically, but can't get DHCP working

4. config tool

5. pump dhcp client : works once ... doesn't work again.

6. X windows on OMNIBOOK5500

7. DHCP, worked with 2.6 but won't work with Solaris 8!

8. How to configure 2 10/100 Ethernet cards

9. Redhat 6.1 with 3C905B adapter & DHCP not working

10. dhcp works, but not lan

11. DHCP not always working

12. Dynamic DNS not working with Solaris DHCP/DNS server and win clients

13. DHCP SERVER not working quite right? (RH6.0)