Win95/IPX -> IP ->PPP ->Linux ->Novell 3.12

Win95/IPX -> IP ->PPP ->Linux ->Novell 3.12

Post by Stu Donalds » Mon, 06 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Has anyone tried/been able to get working using Win95 to dialup a PPP
connection (ie: on a Linux box) and pass IPX packets encapsulated within IP?

Novell has IPTUNNEL which can be loaded on their server that allows for
encapsulation/decapsulation of IPX packets for transfering over an IP network.
However, can Win95 do the same thing?

The goal is to connect a remote Win95 system via dialup to a Novell network.
The modems reside on a Linux box also on the network running TCP/IP.  Dialup
SLIP/PPP work fine to the TCP/IP nodes on the network, but I want file sharing
with the Novell system.

Thanks...

Post by Mike Aver » Mon, 06 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>Has anyone tried/been able to get working using Win95 to dialup a PPP
>connection (ie: on a Linux box) and pass IPX packets encapsulated within IP?

>Novell has IPTUNNEL which can be loaded on their server that allows for
>encapsulation/decapsulation of IPX packets for transfering over an IP network.
>However, can Win95 do the same thing?

>The goal is to connect a remote Win95 system via dialup to a Novell network.
>The modems reside on a Linux box also on the network running TCP/IP.  Dialup
>SLIP/PPP work fine to the TCP/IP nodes on the network, but I want file sharing
>with the Novell system.

Hmmmm.... MicroSoft is not going to be supporting iptunneling any time
soon.  So, my suggestion is to get the 32 bit Win95 clients off the
Novell FTP host or web site.  The (now open) 1.1 beta is quite good.  It
installs cleanly and supports most, if not all, of the stuff you want to
do.  Might be easier for you to upgrade to NetWare 4.1 and use the
bundled NWIP package.  It does a better encapsulation than the older
IPTUNNEL routine, and helps get rips and saps off the network.

As a final comment, the Novell package does use the MicroSoft IP driver,
so if you want to dynamically assign IP addresses, you will need to bring
up a DHCP server.  Bootp is not supported.  (Does anyone know of a DHCP
and Bootp server for Linux?)

Mike

Post by Nicolai La » Tue, 07 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>Hmmmm.... MicroSoft is not going to be supporting iptunneling any time
>soon.  So, my suggestion is to get the 32 bit Win95 clients off the
>Novell FTP host or web site.

Sounds promising, since I need a solution for dial in to the network
as well.

But my problem is, that most of the users here use Win 3.11 at home,
what do I do in order to be able to log into the Novell server from a
Win 3.1x (oir DOS) machine though the Linux PPP Deamon?

Any help will be most appriciated....

Nicolai