multiple IPs on multiple NICs

multiple IPs on multiple NICs

Post by luca paglier » Sat, 05 Apr 2003 17:58:09



Dear all,
        I'm trying for the first time to set up some pivate networks, and I'm
experencing my own limits in understanding networking ;-).
Here's my setup:
- I've a single physical network, with no virtual networs defined on it
- I would like to have three class C networks on the physical network: the
public one, and two "private", let's say 192.168.100.0 and 192.168.101.0
- I've a machine with three NICs that acts as a DHCP server for the two
private networks: the goal is to provide different parameters for the two
private networks.
- the "ifconfig" output on the DHCP server is:

eth0      X.X.X.X etc...

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:04:76:21:2C:5A  
          inet addr:192.168.100.1  Bcast:192.168.100.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:79581 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:1 frame:0
          TX packets:52921 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          RX bytes:8469944 (8.0 Mb)  TX bytes:39300523 (37.4 Mb)
          Interrupt:9 Base address:0xe800

eth2      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:04:76:EB:BF:10  
          inet addr:192.168.101.1  Bcast:192.168.101.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:27029 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:1 frame:0
          TX packets:94 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          RX bytes:3239948 (3.0 Mb)  TX bytes:11942 (11.6 Kb)
          Interrupt:9 Base address:0xec00

and the "route" output is

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref   Use Iface
192.168.100.0   *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0       0 eth1
192.168.101.0   *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0       0 eth2
X.X.X.X         *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0       0 eth0
127.0.0.0       *               255.0.0.0       U     0      0       0 lo
default         gatewayname     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0       0 eth0

And these are the results:
- every PC under the public network can ping to the DHCP server, and
vice-versa.
- every PC under the "192.168.100.0" network can ping to the DHCP server,
and v.v.
- PCs under the "192.168.101.0" network lose almost every packet (BUT not
all, a packet or two every while are exchanged).

What seems odd to me, is the difference between the "100" network and the
"101" network: I cannot find any difference in the configuration of the two
networks.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you very much.
ciao
luca

 
 
 

multiple IPs on multiple NICs

Post by Philip Baile » Sat, 05 Apr 2003 23:30:00


Quote:> - every PC under the public network can ping to the DHCP server, and
> vice-versa.
> - every PC under the "192.168.100.0" network can ping to the DHCP server,
> and v.v.
> - PCs under the "192.168.101.0" network lose almost every packet (BUT not
> all, a packet or two every while are exchanged).

Could this be a hardware issue - NIC, cabling, hub/switch?  Would it be
worth swapping in known working components to exclude them as the problem?

Phil

 
 
 

multiple IPs on multiple NICs

Post by Lazar Ianakie » Sat, 05 Apr 2003 23:50:52


 > - PCs under the "192.168.101.0" network lose almost every packet
 > (BUT not all, a packet or two every while are exchanged).

looks to me like a duplex mismatch on the eth2 nic. check speed and
duplex status with mii-tool. force, if necessary.


> Dear all,
>         I'm trying for the first time to set up some pivate networks, and I'm
> experencing my own limits in understanding networking ;-).
> Here's my setup:
> - I've a single physical network, with no virtual networs defined on it
> - I would like to have three class C networks on the physical network: the
> public one, and two "private", let's say 192.168.100.0 and 192.168.101.0
> - I've a machine with three NICs that acts as a DHCP server for the two
> private networks: the goal is to provide different parameters for the two
> private networks.
> - the "ifconfig" output on the DHCP server is:

> eth0      X.X.X.X etc...

> eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:04:76:21:2C:5A  
>           inet addr:192.168.100.1  Bcast:192.168.100.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:79581 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:1 frame:0
>           TX packets:52921 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
>           RX bytes:8469944 (8.0 Mb)  TX bytes:39300523 (37.4 Mb)
>           Interrupt:9 Base address:0xe800

> eth2      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:04:76:EB:BF:10  
>           inet addr:192.168.101.1  Bcast:192.168.101.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:27029 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:1 frame:0
>           TX packets:94 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
>           RX bytes:3239948 (3.0 Mb)  TX bytes:11942 (11.6 Kb)
>           Interrupt:9 Base address:0xec00

> and the "route" output is

> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref   Use Iface
> 192.168.100.0   *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0       0 eth1
> 192.168.101.0   *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0       0 eth2
> X.X.X.X         *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0       0 eth0
> 127.0.0.0       *               255.0.0.0       U     0      0       0 lo
> default         gatewayname     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0       0 eth0

> And these are the results:
> - every PC under the public network can ping to the DHCP server, and
> vice-versa.
> - every PC under the "192.168.100.0" network can ping to the DHCP server,
> and v.v.
> - PCs under the "192.168.101.0" network lose almost every packet (BUT not
> all, a packet or two every while are exchanged).

> What seems odd to me, is the difference between the "100" network and the
> "101" network: I cannot find any difference in the configuration of the two
> networks.

> Any help will be appreciated.
> Thank you very much.
> ciao
> luca

 
 
 

multiple IPs on multiple NICs

Post by luca paglier » Sun, 06 Apr 2003 01:00:46



>> - every PC under the public network can ping to the DHCP server, and
>> vice-versa.
>> - every PC under the "192.168.100.0" network can ping to the DHCP server,
>> and v.v.
>> - PCs under the "192.168.101.0" network lose almost every packet (BUT not
>> all, a packet or two every while are exchanged).

> Could this be a hardware issue - NIC, cabling, hub/switch?  Would it be
> worth swapping in known working components to exclude them as the problem?

> Phil

I've tried once with only two NICs: I've set up a virtual interface on eth1
with the address 192.168.101.1, in addition to the primary 192.168.100.1.
The behaviour was exactly the same. Adding a new "real" NIC has been a
trial to circumvent some possible problems with virtual interfaces.. which
apparently was not the case!


Quote:> looks to me like a duplex mismatch on the eth2 nic. check speed and
> duplex status with mii-tool. force, if necessary.

I'm not sure to understand (please note that my knowledge about networking
is realy basic), but I've tried mii-tool as you suggest. This is the output

eth0: negotiated 100baseTx-FD, link ok
eth1: negotiated 100baseTx-FD, link ok
eth2: negotiated 100baseTx-FD, link ok

so I presume (am I right?) that the three NICs are in the same status.

Thanks for your kind replies, but I think I'd like to challenge your
knowledge a little bit more! ;-)

ciao
luca

 
 
 

multiple IPs on multiple NICs

Post by Seth H Holme » Tue, 08 Apr 2003 23:14:56




>>> - every PC under the public network can ping to the DHCP server, and
>>> vice-versa.
>>> - every PC under the "192.168.100.0" network can ping to the DHCP server,
>>> and v.v.
>>> - PCs under the "192.168.101.0" network lose almost every packet (BUT not
>>> all, a packet or two every while are exchanged).

>> Could this be a hardware issue - NIC, cabling, hub/switch?  Would it be
>> worth swapping in known working components to exclude them as the problem?

>> Phil

> I've tried once with only two NICs: I've set up a virtual interface on eth1
> with the address 192.168.101.1, in addition to the primary 192.168.100.1.
> The behaviour was exactly the same. Adding a new "real" NIC has been a
> trial to circumvent some possible problems with virtual interfaces.. which
> apparently was not the case!


>> looks to me like a duplex mismatch on the eth2 nic. check speed and
>> duplex status with mii-tool. force, if necessary.

> I'm not sure to understand (please note that my knowledge about networking
> is realy basic), but I've tried mii-tool as you suggest. This is the output

> eth0: negotiated 100baseTx-FD, link ok
> eth1: negotiated 100baseTx-FD, link ok
> eth2: negotiated 100baseTx-FD, link ok

> so I presume (am I right?) that the three NICs are in the same status.

> Thanks for your kind replies, but I think I'd like to challenge your
> knowledge a little bit more! ;-)

They do not need to be the same as each other. They need to be the same
as whatever they are connected to. Assuming its a switch or hub, the
switch or hub needs to support 100Mbps/Full Duplex (based on the settings
above).

There are many reasons you could be dropping packets. Check your firewall
rules (assuming you have any). The problem could exist on the remote
machine. Are both networks going through the same hub/switch? If so, and
the device is not designed to handle such connections, it could be your
issue.

--
Seth H Holmes

 
 
 

1. 4.2 nic aliasing, multiple IPs, one nic does not work???

I just upgraded to FreeBSD 4.2 from 4.1.  I had 5 IPs assigned to one
nic on 4.1, one main, 4 alias.  Now on 4.2, it will not accept aliases
to the nic.  When I boot with the config in override /etc/rc.conf, it
assigns the main IP and the first alias, but not the other three.  If
I try to manually configure from the IPs to the nic, it comes back
with:

ifconfig: inet: bad value

I have looked every where I can think of for help, both on and off
line and tried every combination I can think of, but nothing works.
It all worked fine under 4.1.  Did something get changed in 4.2 to
effect how you assign aliases to one nic????

I have asked all I know who work with FreeBSD and they are as baffled
as I am.  Any help or suggestions even if I have already tried them
will be appreciated.  I keep thinking I have made some type of
configuration error or something simple that I am missing, but, search
as I might for a problem, I come up empty handed.

4.2 did not come up with a different way to alias a nic, did it???

Thanks in advance,

Bear

2. ppp conection not dying!

3. Routing multiple public IPs to multiple internal networks

4. Help Wintel Refugee

5. ?Multiple domains with multiple IPs on HPUX 9.05 and Netscape Comm Server?

6. Browsers

7. Multiple IPs to a single NIC ?????

8. Env. Variable definition problem

9. Apache VirtualHost on Solaris with multiple ips bound to one nic

10. Multiple IPs on one NIC--the next step

11. multiples ips on one nic (Q)

12. Multiple IPs on NIC

13. Bind Multiple IPs to One NIC?