do I need 10/100 NICs?

Post by Maynard Wilco » Mon, 29 Nov 1999 04:00:00

10 Mbps is suffecient for a cable modem, therefore its more than enough for
a 56K modem. You would need100 Mbps if you were to do video or something
like it on your LAN. ANd yes the limiting factor in a 100 or 1000 NIC would
be the speed of the hub BTW There is cables involved in this. For 100 on a
internetconnection shall we say that you don't have the $$$$$$$$ for it
because we would be talking ATM, FDDI, T3 speeds. HTH

> Do I need the speed of 10/100 on my NICs and hub?  I'm running IP Masq.
> off a 56k modem.  At full speed would I even break the 10Mbps mark?

> Even if I had 10/100 NICs, a 10Mbs hub would be my limiting factor -
> correct?

> At what speed would my Internet connection need to be for the benefit of
> 100Mbp NICs and hub?

> I'm not too familiar with the bit/kb speed conversion - I could use some
> pointers on the subject too.

> Thanks!
> Brian

do I need 10/100 NICs?

Post by Rod Smi » Mon, 29 Nov 1999 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> Do I need the speed of 10/100 on my NICs and hub?  I'm running IP Masq.
> off a 56k modem.  At full speed would I even break the 10Mbps mark?

If that's *ALL* you're using the internal network for, then 10Mbps is more
than adequate.

Quote:> Even if I had 10/100 NICs, a 10Mbs hub would be my limiting factor -
> correct?

Correct, at least assuming you're using a hub. If you're only connecting
two computers, a crossover cable does the job for less money, and may
produce better speed. Given the relative prices, I don't recommend buying
a 10Mbps-only NIC for most purposes; 10/100 NICs go for $25 or $30, even
at local retailers like CompUSA, and you can get them for under $20 from
mail-order outfits. You can shave $5 or $10 off that for a 10Mbps-only
device, but IMHO the savings isn't worth it, since you may well want to
upgrade in the future, and that'll cost you more money and require you to
monkey with drivers and whatnot. Hubs may be another matter, but I've not
checked hub prices lately.

Quote:> At what speed would my Internet connection need to be for the benefit of
> 100Mbp NICs and hub?

Again, if that's the ONLY thing, you'd need something over 10Mbps to chew
up over 10Mbps of bandwidth.

Quote:> I'm not too familiar with the bit/kb speed conversion - I could use some
> pointers on the subject too.

1 byte = 8 bits
b = bit
B = byte
1KB = 1024 bytes
1Kb = 1024 bits (or sometimes 1000 bits)
1MB = 1,048,576 bytes
1Mb = 1,048,576 bits (or sometimes 1,000,000 bits)

Your analog modem is 56Kbps, or 0.056Mbps, or 0.56% of the 10Mbps NIC's
capacity -- note that's POINT five-six, as in roughly half a percent.
(This is all fudging a bit because of issues like full vs. half duplex,
compression, etc., but those factors won't come near to changing any
decisions you might make about your home network based on the relative
speeds of these devices.)

Now, as I've implied already, there are other purposes for a home network
besides IP masquerading a PPP connection (what I assume you're doing with
this). If you want to do file sharing, printer sharing, telnet, or
anything else on your internal network, the internal network's speed
becomes important for those factors. For these functions (well, maybe not
telnet), a 100Mbps network is better than a 10Mbps network -- maybe not
by a factor of 10, but by a substantial margin.

--

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~smithrod
Author of _Special Edition Using Corel WordPerfect 8 for Linux_, from Que

1. NIC / network won't load: Compaq Netelligent 10/100 Embedded NIC, Eth0

Environment:
Macmillan Linux-Mandrake Deluxe Linux 6.5
Compaq Deskpro 6000 266/MMX 288MB SDRAM
Compaq Netelligent 10/100 embedded NIC

Problem:
Setup recognized the NIC, but when I boot Linux the network fails to initialize.  Side note: currently I'm not able to boot from SCSI disk, only floppy.  Anyway, what do I need to do to get my net connection up?  I'm using KDE and the Linuxconfig utility, but when I activate the changes I've made, the network still won't initialize.

The changes I made are: setting my default gateway, setting my DNS server addresses, setting up for DHCP, setting module type for NIC to "tlan" (which is what the documentation tells me to use).

What do I need to do to get my network connection up?  I'm obviously a Linux newbie, so please forgive my ignorance.  Thanks for any help!
Regards,

Scott

2. Connecting Win95 to Linux

3. Newbie needs help with My NIC is a 3Com 3C509B - TX 10/100

4. VC-558 supported by linux and X?

5. Need recommendations on 10/100 NIC.

6. 2.5.64bk3 no screen after Ok booting kernel

7. 10/100 card won't talk to 10/100 hub

8. Need BSD-automounter for Linux

9. FS: 10/100 4 port switch and 4 10/100 Network Adapters

10. PCMCIA 10/100 NIC for Multia

11. 10/100 PCI NIC reccomendations

12. 10/100 NICs

13. Running 10/100 BaseT NIC in RS6000 Models????