Internet Faster in Linux?

Post by Bruce Phipp » Thu, 03 Aug 2000 04:00:00

I used to use a 33.6 hardware modem with Linux. It seemed to be as fast as
my current 56k software modem on Windows.

Not sure I can back this up with hard facts, though!

Bruce

Internet Faster in Linux?

Post by Duncan Simps » Thu, 03 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Is it my imagination or does Linux make better use of IP than windows. I
>seem to get faster downloads in Linux using a crappy 28.8 modem.
>Any Thoughts?

Noy all MS IP stacks can handle path MTu discovery, which linux and
lots of other beats have deon for a long time. I am fairly sure it
does help and so might some of the features in a fully RFC comlaint
IPv4 implementation (Linux is the only known current implementatio
).

--
Duncan (-:
"software industry, the: unique industry where selling substandard goods is

Internet Faster in Linux?

Post by Saul Cohe » Thu, 03 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> I used to use a 33.6 hardware modem with Linux. It seemed to be as fast as
> my current 56k software modem on Windows.

> Not sure I can back this up with hard facts, though!

You guys is nuts. I've got a dual-boot here, Linux and DEC Unix, and the
Linux side is much slower across the T1. So maybe it only works on modems.

Saul Cohen

Internet Faster in Linux?

Post by rhpotte » Thu, 03 Aug 2000 04:00:00

better than windows using what speed modem?  I will take my windows machine
with a 56k win modem any day of the week over my linux w/ 28.8 modem.  sorry
guys, but speed is speed.  I am planing on upgrading the modem for my linux
machine but until then......

-rob

Quote:> Is it my imagination or does Linux make better use of IP than windows. I
> seem to get faster downloads in Linux using a crappy 28.8 modem.

> Any Thoughts?

Internet Faster in Linux?

Post by Hal Burgi » Thu, 03 Aug 2000 04:00:00

>better than windows using what speed modem?  I will take my windows
>machine with a 56k win modem any day of the week over my linux w/ 28.8
>modem.  sorry guys, but speed is speed.  I am planing on upgrading the
>modem for my linux machine but until then......

doh!

>> Is it my imagination or does Linux make better use of IP than
>> windows. I seem to get faster downloads in Linux using a crappy 28.8
>> modem.

>> Any Thoughts?

Back when I used windows, it seemed to faster to me too. But water under
the damn now.

--
Hal B

--

Internet Faster in Linux?

Post by hdu.. » Thu, 24 Aug 2000 04:00:00

I don't know if this would, though:

I connect at 46600 using Windows NT and 115200 using Linux. Don't know
if there is some sort of divisor factor or not, but that's what it says.

Quote:> I used to use a 33.6 hardware modem with Linux. It seemed to be as
fast as
> my current 56k software modem on Windows.

> Not sure I can back this up with hard facts, though!

> Bruce

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. determine throughput from LAN to Internet, Durchsatz vom LAN ins Internet berechnen

Hi,

Does anyone have a program (or a link to a program) which determines
(under LINUX) how much a single computer in a network
downloads/uploads to/from the intenet?
In particular:
I have a linux-router connected to the internet (ppp0) and also
connected to a local LAN(ethX). Now I want to know, which of the Nodes
(connected to the internal LAN) consume how much throughput (in MB or
KB) to the Internet (extern WAN). Upload and download. Until now all
is done via 'iptables', working (masquerading).

THX for any help.

Hallo,

Kennt jemand ein Programm (oder den Link zu einem Programm) welches
unter LINUX feststellt, welcher lokale Rechner wie viel vom Internet
ladet/uplodaet?
Genau gesagt:
Ich habe einen LUNUX-router, welcher zum Internet (ppp0) als auch zum
internen LAN (eht0) verbunden ist. Jetzt m?chte ich wissen, wie viel
jeder einzelne Rechner im LAN vom Internet ladet bzw. wie viel jeder
einzelne Rechner ins Internet uploadet. Bis jetz funktioniert alles
ber die IPTABLES und es funktioniert (MASQUERADING).

Danke fr jede Hilfe.

Cheers, Kuge

2. Open GL

3. Ich m?chte eine Verbindung ins Internet Linux und einer TelesS0 16.3

4. Linux Term HOWTO (part 1/2)

5. Internet Faster in Linux?

6. Netscape/realplay/Solaris/mime.types

8. Diald Problems

9. Suse 7.0; Yast2, kinternet, rc.dialout und ich komme nicht ins Internet

10. Faster Internet Connection

11. Faster client or faster server??

12. seti@home faster and faster, etc.

13. Sherlock linux plug-ins / sherlock for linux?