Setting timeout on BootPD server (IP-adress timeout)

Setting timeout on BootPD server (IP-adress timeout)

Post by Rene de Haa » Sun, 10 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Hello everyone,

Ive got BootP succesfull running on a Linux Redhat 4.1 (kerlen 2.0.30)
server, providing the
IP's for over a 20 networking computer (including a Windows NT Server
(gnagna)).

But, when I look at the network traffic, I saw that the BootPD was
sending the IP-adresses over
and over again, every second !! I looked at the IP-timeout an my Win 95
system, and yes, after
getting the IP-adress, it immediatly has to get a new one (which
ofcourse is the same !!), because
it has reacht its timeout.
I tried to make the BootPD-server tell the machines that there may be a
timeout of 5 minutes, which
means that all computer will refresh its IP-adress every 5 minutes. But
I dont't know how !!

I have read the HOWTO's, the man-pages, even looked on the Web, but I
still don't know how to
do this. (Remark, the NT-server has a BootPB server where it is
possible).

Can anyone tell me if this is poosible, and if, how I make it work ??

Thanks in advance,

Ren de Haan,

Setting timeout on BootPD server (IP-adress timeout)

Post by Lewis Peri » Sun, 10 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> Hello everyone,

> Ive got BootP succesfull running on a Linux Redhat 4.1 (kerlen 2.0.30)
> server, providing the
> IP's for over a 20 networking computer (including a Windows NT Server
> (gnagna)).

> But, when I look at the network traffic, I saw that the BootPD was
> sending the IP-adresses over
> and over again, every second !! I looked at the IP-timeout an my Win 95
> system, and yes, after
> getting the IP-adress, it immediatly has to get a new one (which
> ofcourse is the same !!), because
> it has reacht its timeout.
> I tried to make the BootPD-server tell the machines that there may be a
> timeout of 5 minutes, which
> means that all computer will refresh its IP-adress every 5 minutes. But
> I dont't know how !!

> I have read the HOWTO's, the man-pages, even looked on the Web, but I
> still don't know how to
> do this. (Remark, the NT-server has a BootPB server where it is
> possible).

> Can anyone tell me if this is poosible, and if, how I make it work ??

It sounds as if your NT and 95 machines have DHCP (not bootp) clients,
which is after all what comes with those MS operating systems.  You
could avoid this trouble by getting the free Win95/NT bootp client
billgPC, which you can download from <www.panix.com/~perin/>.

Cheers, Lew

1. Set timeout but why not timeout?

Hi all,

I have recently installed a FreeBSD 3.4 box running user-ppp(I don't know
how to check it version). I have set "set timeout 120"  option in my
ppp.conf file. When I run "ppp -background ISP", it start ppp and wait for a
outgoing packets then dial out successfully. But after a while( at least ten
minutes) it won't disconnect itselt. I have check the ppp.log file that the
set timeout option was set and the system was almost nothing running it. Can
anyone have any idea on this?

Thanks in advance

Antony

2. News Server

3. How to set timeout on TCP/IP based client-server connection?

4. AGP help

5. Prevent access to linux server when mac adress does not match ip adress

6. fax getty and data getty?

7. application timeout vs. TCP timeout for solaris

8. osprey-100

9. iptable timeout ?? (question on timeout features of ipchains)

10. TCP/IP timeout settings

11. Configure ARP-Request-Timeout? (NOT Cache-Timeout!)

12. XARCHIE + Term Now=> timeout, timeout, ...

13. CONFIG: timeout - Timeout table free list empty (min_free_callouts = 50 exceeded)