ppp frame with bad fcs

Post by Edwin Cram » Sat, 13 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Does anybody know what to conclude from the following message :

ppp: frame with bad fcs, excess = fbd0

It appears aprox every 10 seconds when connected to my ISP.

Please mail or post reply .

ppp frame with bad fcs

Post by Al Longye » Sat, 13 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>Does anybody know what to conclude from the following message :
>ppp: frame with bad fcs, excess = fbd0

I doubt that anyone will see this identical message since the number
will vary. The excess is designed to be 0000 when the proper CCITT
CRC-16 is computed.

PPP is doing what it is designed to do -- discard frames which have
been received in error. It is simply saying WHY the frame is being
discarded.

The normal reason for this condition is a receiver overrun. It is
possible that you can have these conditions if you have "low" memory
and an IDE controller. The extra page faults will cause the IDE system
to hold out the interrupts for an extended period of time and cause
the receiver in the UARTs to be overrun.

You will normally see this with an "error code 4" condition in the
system log, but that is not always the case.

--

The above opinions do not necessarily represent those of the Management
of System Integrators nor any of its subsidiaries.

1. w.r.t. ppp(d)/chat what does "ppp:frame with bad fcs, excess=6f6a" mean?

When I use minicom to start my ppp session I have no problem. But,
when I use pppd and chat I cant get a connection. I run it with debug
and with kdebug 25 and I keep getting this message before it dies. My
service provider has a stupid little (2 lines) message, "PPP session
beginning",  it displays before the }.#}!.} stuff. Could this be the
problem and how do I fix it? If you could tell me what this message
means or where I could find what it means I would appreciate it.

2. SCSI and Unisys 6055

3. ppp: frame with bad fcs

4. Disk Usage Script

5. PPP: frame with bad fcs, excess=XXXX

6. SCSI Time Outs? Please Help.

7. ppp: frame with bad fcs ???

8. SiS 6326 XF86Config

9. ppp: frame with bad fcs

10. HELP: ppp: frame with bad fcs HELP

11. ppp: frame with bad fcs, excess = 737c

12. ppp: frame with bad fcs, excess = Problem