pppd problem - "Not 8-bit clean"

Post by William D. Ezel » Sun, 15 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I'm trying to set up a PPP connection to my ISP (IBM Advantis) under RH 5.1.
I've followed a hybrid of their example PPP script for Linux (ref "Help"
from www.ibm.net) and the ISP-Hookup-HOWTO.  I think I'm close to succeeding
but my connection keeps getting terminated 20-30 seconds after modem
link-up.  The messages from pppd logged to my system log read (more or
less):

    "Receive line not 8-bit clean"

I understand this is probably because my modem port is not 8-N-1 but
how/where do I force this setting?  I've only seen baud rate options
(somewhere in the man pages for pppd and chat).

Also, the IBM example suggested creating an /etc/ppp/login file along the
following lines:

    <account login text here>
    <account password here>

and in /etc/ppp/options place the following:

    <port speed>
    +ua  /etc/ppp/login
    defaultroute
    noipdefault

I would have used their example verbatim but Red Hat's pppd complained about
the '+ua' line.  I think I've created alternate functionality in my chat
script but *should* their example have worked??

Advice on how to proceed is welcomed, especially if anyone's using Red Hat
5.1 and IBM Advantis.  Reply via e-mail, too, if possible.

Thanks,
William D. Ezell

pppd problem - "Not 8-bit clean"

Post by Tobin Frick » Sun, 15 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>     "Receive line not 8-bit clean"

This usually happens when your local ppp daemon is trying to initiate
PPP, but the remote host is stuck in some terminal-session login process
or menu system.  Make sure that your chat script successfully brings the
host to the point where it initiates ppp before terminating.

Tobin

pppd problem - "Not 8-bit clean"

Post by Charles Yate » Tue, 17 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I have recently successfully resolved this problem myself.  Check ibm.net's
trouble shooting page, which gives a different solution that resolves the +ua
problem (put the password and login name in the pap-secrets file).  The chat
program defaults to sending a return character even if you want to send "".  To
really send nothing have your chat script end with the line:
        CONNECT      "\c"

> I'm trying to set up a PPP connection to my ISP (IBM Advantis) under RH 5.1.
> I've followed a hybrid of their example PPP script for Linux (ref "Help"
> from www.ibm.net) and the ISP-Hookup-HOWTO.  I think I'm close to succeeding
> but my connection keeps getting terminated 20-30 seconds after modem
> link-up.  The messages from pppd logged to my system log read (more or
> less):

>     "Receive line not 8-bit clean"

> I understand this is probably because my modem port is not 8-N-1 but
> how/where do I force this setting?  I've only seen baud rate options
> (somewhere in the man pages for pppd and chat).

> Also, the IBM example suggested creating an /etc/ppp/login file along the
> following lines:

>     <account login text here>
>     <account password here>

> and in /etc/ppp/options place the following:

>     <port speed>
>     +ua  /etc/ppp/login
>     defaultroute
>     noipdefault

> I would have used their example verbatim but Red Hat's pppd complained about
> the '+ua' line.  I think I've created alternate functionality in my chat
> script but *should* their example have worked??

> Advice on how to proceed is welcomed, especially if anyone's using Red Hat
> 5.1 and IBM Advantis.  Reply via e-mail, too, if possible.

> Thanks,
> William D. Ezell

pppd problem - "Not 8-bit clean"

Post by Metro M » Sun, 29 Nov 1998 04:00:00

A long shot, but is anyone out there a user of TMLP online, and has
anyone had success with logging on via ppp?

1. pppd problems - "Not 8-bit clean"

[...]

2. Socksified ip stack?

3. PPPD: "Receive serial link is not 8-bit clean"

4. fvwm programming question

5. pppd dies, "receiving line is not 8-bit clean..."

6. file that starts deamons on boot

7. ppp problem: no "recvd [LCP ConfReq" link not 8-bit clean HELP!

8. Xsun and color depth

9. PPP connection fails - "not 8-bit clean"

10. "receive serial link is not 8-bit clean" error

11. Dial-in to worldnet.att.net: "not 8-bit clean"

12. PPP connection "not 8-bit clean"?

13. ppp "8-bit clean" problem