Help!!! I would like to use my linux box as a proxy sever/router

Help!!! I would like to use my linux box as a proxy sever/router

Post by Dean Pa » Mon, 14 Jun 1999 04:00:00

connected to the net through the cable modem.  I have other
two machines and would like to share the cable modem's
faster internet acccess.

I think that I can use the first one as a router/proxy server and route all
the local requests to it.  Anyone have any experience and advise?

Thanks!

Dean

Post by Matt Templeto » Mon, 14 Jun 1999 04:00:00

http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/IPCHAINS-HOWTO.html

> connected to the net through the cable modem.  I have other
> two machines and would like to share the cable modem's
> faster internet acccess.

> I think that I can use the first one as a router/proxy server and route all
> the local requests to it.  Anyone have any experience and advise?

> Thanks!

> Dean

Help!!! I would like to use my linux box as a proxy sever/router

Post by George D » Mon, 14 Jun 1999 04:00:00

]
]http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/IPCHAINS-HOWTO.html

]>

]> connected to the net through the cable modem.  I have other
]> two machines and would like to share the cable modem's
]> faster internet acccess.
]>
]> I think that I can use the first one as a router/proxy server and route all
]> the local requests to it.  Anyone have any experience and advise?

Matt,
There is one problem that arises after doing that.
I'm not on IP Chains (still 2.0.35), but when the modem makes its connection, it
gets an IP for the dial in side; and replaces the default route to route
everything via the modem link.

The result is that, yes, the other machines can masquerade though the box with
the modem to the world; and, yes, the other machines can telnet to the box with
the modem - but the box with the modem can't telnet to the other internal boxes.
- no route to host.

Any thoughts on that part of it?

Thanks for and advice on this.
George.

--

Help!!! I would like to use my linux box as a proxy sever/router

Post by George D » Mon, 14 Jun 1999 04:00:00

]Matt,
]There is one problem that arises after doing that.

But I was mistaken. Sorry Matt.

My previous post was wrong. It was a local config problem.
--
 ,-,_|\  George Dau - Unix (Solaris, DEC Unix, Linux), Oracle, Internet.   __

      v   WWW: http://www.pobox.com/~gedau ! Carpentaria Buffalo Club.    W--W

Help!!! I would like to use my linux box as a proxy sever/router

Post by bubb » Mon, 14 Jun 1999 04:00:00

You could add routes to those machines.  check the man on Route for more
info....

Blake!

> ]
> ]http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/IPCHAINS-HOWTO.html

> ]>

> ]> connected to the net through the cable modem.  I have other
> ]> two machines and would like to share the cable modem's
> ]> faster internet acccess.
> ]>
> ]> I think that I can use the first one as a router/proxy server and route
all
> ]> the local requests to it.  Anyone have any experience and advise?

> Matt,
> There is one problem that arises after doing that.
> I'm not on IP Chains (still 2.0.35), but when the modem makes its
connection, it
> gets an IP for the dial in side; and replaces the default route to route
> everything via the modem link.

> The result is that, yes, the other machines can masquerade though the box
with
> the modem to the world; and, yes, the other machines can telnet to the box
with
> the modem - but the box with the modem can't telnet to the other internal
boxes.
> - no route to host.

> Any thoughts on that part of it?

> Thanks for and advice on this.
> George.

> --

Help!!! I would like to use my linux box as a proxy sever/router

Post by Matt » Mon, 14 Jun 1999 04:00:00

 http://ipmasq.cjb.net/

matt

Help!!! I would like to use my linux box as a proxy sever/router

Post by Magua » Wed, 16 Jun 1999 04:00:00

check this site
http://home.talkcity.com/MigrationPath/maguai/

> connected to the net through the cable modem.  I have other
> two machines and would like to share the cable modem's
> faster internet acccess.

> I think that I can use the first one as a router/proxy server and route
all
> the local requests to it.  Anyone have any experience and advise?

> Thanks!

> Dean

Help!!! I would like to use my linux box as a proxy sever/router

Post by Duncan McIntyr » Wed, 16 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi Dean,

My personal experience is that IP masquerading works most, but not all of the
time.
For shared Internet access running a proxy is much better. Try Squid, it works
great for me!

http://squid.nlanr.net/

Duncan

> connected to the net through the cable modem.  I have other
> two machines and would like to share the cable modem's
> faster internet acccess.

> I think that I can use the first one as a router/proxy server and route all
> the local requests to it.  Anyone have any experience and advise?

> Thanks!

> Dean

Help!!! I would like to use my linux box as a proxy sever/router

Post by Green Scree » Wed, 16 Jun 1999 04:00:00

try using ip masquerading. check the howto.

: connected to the net through the cable modem.  I have other
: two machines and would like to share the cable modem's
: faster internet acccess.

: I think that I can use the first one as a router/proxy server and route all
: the local requests to it.  Anyone have any experience and advise?

: Thanks!

: Dean

Help!!! I would like to use my linux box as a proxy sever/router

Post by Casey McGin » Wed, 16 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Just did this a few weeks ago, works great

http://www.rt.edu/~pcm6519/linux.html

>connected to the net through the cable modem.  I have other
>two machines and would like to share the cable modem's
>faster internet acccess.

>I think that I can use the first one as a router/proxy server and route all
>the local requests to it.  Anyone have any experience and advise?

>Thanks!

>Dean

Help!!! I would like to use my linux box as a proxy sever/router

Post by Joe O'Connel » Wed, 16 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I've used a proxy server in a Windows LAN, and I've recently installed a
Linux file server for this Windows LAN (about 15 nodes).  I don't understand
the difference between a proxy server and IP masquerade.  Are they the same
thing?  I've set up and maintained WinProxy, which is a program that
provides Internet service to the LAN using a single IP address.  Isn't this
the same concept as IP masquerade with only a different name?

Post by Daniel Wilso » Mon, 21 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> I've used a proxy server in a Windows LAN, and I've recently installed a
> Linux file server for this Windows LAN (about 15 nodes).  I don't understand
> the difference between a proxy server and IP masquerade.  Are they the same
> thing?  I've set up and maintained WinProxy, which is a program that
> provides Internet service to the LAN using a single IP address.  Isn't this
> the same concept as IP masquerade with only a different name?

I'm not sure but I think your WinProxy software might use a form of
resource sharing called SOCKS, which is different from IP-masquerading.
I know that the Wingate software uses SOCKS.

*******
Dan

Help!!! I would like to use my linux box as a proxy sever/router

Post by Jens Sülwal » Wed, 14 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I've used a proxy server in a Windows LAN, and I've recently installed a
> Linux file server for this Windows LAN (about 15 nodes).  I don't
understand
> the difference between a proxy server and IP masquerade.  Are they the
same
> thing?  I've set up and maintained WinProxy, which is a program that
> provides Internet service to the LAN using a single IP address.  Isn't
this
> the same concept as IP masquerade with only a different name?

WinProxy uses NAT (Network Adress Translation) and is not only a proxy.

Help!!! I would like to use my linux box as a proxy sever/router

Post by Sitaram Chamar » Thu, 15 Jul 1999 04:00:00

On Tue, 13 Jul 1999 14:20:47 +0200, Jens Slwald

>> the difference between a proxy server and IP masquerade.  Are they the
>WinProxy uses NAT (Network Adress Translation) and is not only a proxy.

(To original poster) In general a "proxy server" can be as simple
as a web proxy, like the one you can get from
http://www.junkbusters.com - for instance.

The way a typical web proxy server works, your web browser (lynx,
netscape...) must be told that your are using a proxy server, and
what its address and port number are.

Proxy servers for other protocols exist, I believe, but I'm not
familiar with them.

Then there is SOCKS, which is a similar concept carried to almost
any protocol, but again, your client (like telnet, ftp, rsh,
whatever) must be "SOCKS-aware" to be able to use it.

When you use IP Masq, the outside world thinks all requests are
coming from the gateway machine itself.  So even if you have 255
machines inside your network using IP addresses from the private
IP block, the outside world doesn't see any of them.  The
advantage is that, as long as the routing is setup correctly, your
"clients" need not be any different - they actually think they're
talking directly to the outside host, and in a way, they are.  A
bigger advantage is that you need only 1 "real" IP address for a
whole bunch of people.

NAT, I believe, is similar, except that there is a 1-to-1
correspondence between IP addresses on the inside and those seen
by the outside world.  So you need more "real" IP addresses.  I
don't know more than that.

Hope this helps.

Post by Andrew Gilber » Fri, 16 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> On Tue, 13 Jul 1999 14:20:47 +0200, Jens Slwald

> >> the difference between a proxy server and IP masquerade.  Are they the

> >WinProxy uses NAT (Network Adress Translation) and is not only a proxy.

> (To original poster) In general a "proxy server" can be as simple
> as a web proxy, like the one you can get from
> http://www.junkbusters.com - for instance.

> The way a typical web proxy server works, your web browser (lynx,
> netscape...) must be told that your are using a proxy server, and
> what its address and port number are.

> Proxy servers for other protocols exist, I believe, but I'm not
> familiar with them.

> Then there is SOCKS, which is a similar concept carried to almost
> any protocol, but again, your client (like telnet, ftp, rsh,
> whatever) must be "SOCKS-aware" to be able to use it.

> When you use IP Masq, the outside world thinks all requests are
> coming from the gateway machine itself.  So even if you have 255
> machines inside your network using IP addresses from the private
> IP block, the outside world doesn't see any of them.  The
> advantage is that, as long as the routing is setup correctly, your
> "clients" need not be any different - they actually think they're
> talking directly to the outside host, and in a way, they are.  A
> bigger advantage is that you need only 1 "real" IP address for a
> whole bunch of people.

> NAT, I believe, is similar, except that there is a 1-to-1
> correspondence between IP addresses on the inside and those seen
> by the outside world.  So you need more "real" IP addresses.  I
> don't know more than that.

> Hope this helps.

IP Masq uses NAT. There is no difference really, only in the flavor (statis
vs dynamic) of NAT being done.

1. HELP - using Linux box as Router/Gateway.

Hello Linux world,

I would like to use my Linux machine as a gateway between two subnets
of netmask 255.255.255.0. I have installed two ethernet cards and modified
the kernel to recognize both the cards. Is there any software, like gated
for linux to route between these interfaces.
Also if anyone has used linux as gateway, let me know how efficient/reliable
it is?
btw, I am running linux 1.0.8/slackware on a 386, which I installed 2 days back.
If anyone could help me, please mail me and I could give you more details.

Thanks in advance.
Mahesh
--

http://www.eel.ufl.edu/~rr

2. Smallest Linux Distribution

3. Linux box + Speedtouch Pro router: how to do firewall on Linux box

4. Resizing the SEARCH window

5. BGP4-capable router using Linux box?

6. XFree 4.01 and Intel 815E

7. Using a Linux box as a Router

8. How do I enable Solaris 2.5/Netware 3.12 printing?

9. Using a Linux box as a router

10. problems with using a linux box as a isdn router

11. Problems with using PLIP between a Dos box and a Linux box, PLEASE help!

12. Using a linux box as an Internet router

13. Pls. direct newbie to info for using linux box as router