CSU/DSU w/Linux?

Post by Christopher J. Dick » Fri, 26 May 1995 04:00:00

The title basically says it all, but I'm trying to find out what (if any)
CSU/DSUs can be used with Linux.  I'd like to set up my Linux box with a
56k connection, but I haven't been able to find any info about CSU/DSUs.
Thanks in advance.

                                        CJD

CSU/DSU w/Linux?

Post by Vince Quaresim » Sat, 27 May 1995 04:00:00

The easiest (but not inexpensive) way to do this is to set up a LAN
between your Linux box and a router (the router must have a WAN port
capable of handling the 56k CSU/DSU).

Then you add the router to your Linux routing table via route default,
add the necessary routing to the router to send everything out its WAN
port except stuff bound for your Linux box (actually, the subnet on which
your Linux box resides), and you're done.

--Vince

CSU/DSU w/Linux?

Post by Richard D » Mon, 29 May 1995 04:00:00

And to make your life easier,  take a look at the Ascend Pipeline 50.  It is a router that comes with
the DSU/CSU integrated and offers 4-1 compression for about $1500.00.

Richard
NETWave(sm) Internet

>The easiest (but not inexpensive) way to do this is to set up a LAN
>between your Linux box and a router (the router must have a WAN port
>capable of handling the 56k CSU/DSU).

>Then you add the router to your Linux routing table via route default,
>add the necessary routing to the router to send everything out its WAN
>port except stuff bound for your Linux box (actually, the subnet on which
>your Linux box resides), and you're done.

>--Vince

CSU/DSU w/Linux?

Post by Vince Quaresim » Mon, 29 May 1995 04:00:00

>And to make your life easier,  take a look at the Ascend Pipeline 50.  It is a router that comes with
>the DSU/CSU integrated and offers 4-1 compression for about $1500.00.

Sheesh, $1,500!?!?!?!?  I did the whole thing with a MicroRouter 900i and
a Paradyne 3056 (56K CSU/DSU) and spent under a grand.

Maybe it's a throwback to my ham-radio, and stereophile days, but I am very
reluctant to put more than one "major function" in a single box.  If my
paradyne breaks, I buy another.  If my router breaks, I buy another.
If the Ascent Pileline breaks, you are out the use of both the router
AND the csu/dsu.

Just my 2 cents worth...

--
+------------------------+-----------------------------+
| NetK2NE                | Phone: (609) 893-0673       |

| Browns Mills, NJ 08105 | URL: http://k2nesoft.com    |
+------------------------+-----------------------------+
|     Let NetK2NE be YOUR Internet Service Provider!   |

CSU/DSU w/Linux?

Post by Christoph Lamet » Tue, 30 May 1995 04:00:00

: And to make your life easier,  take a look at the Ascend Pipeline 50.  It is a router that comes with
: the DSU/CSU integrated and offers 4-1 compression for about $1500.00.

So the best to do under the circumstances would be to have
2 Lines with v.34 modems running 28.8K? For $1500 you can buy the
complete machine you would need. A 28.8K Modem is <$90 wholesale in LA!
Use Linux load balancing to get it over the wires and avoid horrendous
ISDN charges...

Christoph Lameter                       Dipl.Inform, Master of Divinity

Posting from the Water Fountain (818)564-8548. Come all ye are thirsty....

CSU/DSU w/Linux?

Post by Thomas Gra » Mon, 05 Jun 1995 04:00:00

writes:

Quote:> So the best to do under the circumstances would be to have
> 2 Lines with v.34 modems running 28.8K? For $1500 you can buy the
> complete machine you would need. A 28.8K Modem is <$90 wholesale in LA!
> Use Linux load balancing to get it over the wires and avoid horrendous
> ISDN charges...

[1] You will not always be able to get 28.8KB links established and even
when you can, you won't always be able to keep them from falling back to
a slower speed or even* up.
You have to remember than V.34 is analog.  What is worse is that most of
the phone system now emulates analog behavior and the phone companies are
starting to install new compression and enhancement systems (TrueXXX...)
which interfere with the signal quality to boost voice performance to the
detrement of ultra-high speed modems.

[2] The load-balancing works on a packet-level which will not yeild the
same level of performance as a 56KB single-B channel link.  With ISDN
bonding you can join two B-channels together and get 110KB  (128KB if
both users are on the same CO)!

ISDN in Los Angeles is free to install and costs $27/month; its
switching-charges are the same as for a business line and they have a
program where it is free of some switching- charges after hours.  If you
have two sites on the same CO that you want to link together permanently,
you can use Centrex-IS to avoid all switching-charges between them.
(They charge $200 for the Centrex if you don't already have one, but the
-IS part is still free to install and they charge like $35/month.)

As far as ISDN equipment costs are concerned, you have two choices:
  - Plug an intelligent device like a Pipe 50 into your Ethernet and let
it take
    care of your routing over ISDN automatically.  The Pipe 50 costs
about $1200
    and it also has Stac Electronic's proprietary 4:1 compressor
built-in.

  - Plug a dumb async-serial/sync-ISDN adaptor into a high-speed serial
port
     on your Linux box and run CSLIP point-to-point over ISDN.  Motorola
makes
    such a device which runs about $500.  Ascend will also be introducing
a Pipe 25
    that works this way Real Soon Now.

I am also working on a way of hooking a Linux box to the $500 IBM
Waverunner card by using a slave-PC running Windows.  (The Waverunner
driver software will only work on Windows and OS/2.)  The software I am
building will also have firewall features.

-Tom Gray

1. routing cards w/CSU-DSU for Linux

Is anyone using any T1 integrated routing cards w/ CSU-DSU with Linux?

I was interested in the RISCom N2/CSU but they do not support Linux
and will not release the source of their BSD driver.

Thanks,
Mike
--

"The fun you've demanded is now mandatory"  -Jello Biafra

2. Linux on SPARC and SUNOS $.1.3 binaries

3. CSU/DSU Internal Card For Linux

4. problems with linking with new gcc 2.7.0

5. Linux with a CSU/DSU

6. OpenSrvr 5.0 installation: cm_vtcld symbol not found

7. Linux and Paradyne CSU/DSU's

8. Berkeley Sockets documentation?

9. IP problems with CSU/DSU card in Linux 1.2.13 system

10. Linux >> Router >> CSU/DSU

11. Preferred CSU/DSU for Linux?

12. Synchronous card to DSU/CSU for Linux?

13. Routers/routing cards/CSU-DSU's with Linux