IMAPD shows whole filesystem?

Post by Thekla Damaschk » Tue, 14 Aug 2001 17:33:40

I try to use a SUSE 7.1 box as a server for a litle private network.
I was very surprised,
that after enabling the imapd in the inetd config,
a client looking on that actually sees
the entire filesystem!
But it doesnt see its mails in the INBOX.
Something is wrong here, but the package-doc just says that
imapd needs no configuration.
What can I do to point the impad to the right directory?
Thanks in advance
/Thekla

Post by Treyva » Tue, 14 Aug 2001 20:51:31

> I try to use a SUSE 7.1 box as a server for a litle private network.
> I was very surprised,
> that after enabling the imapd in the inetd config,
> a client looking on that actually sees
> the entire filesystem!
> But it doesnt see its mails in the INBOX.
> Something is wrong here, but the package-doc just says that
> imapd needs no configuration.
> What can I do to point the impad to the right directory?
> Thanks in advance
> /Thekla

On my RedHat 7.0 system a folder is used in the user's home directory named
.mailboxlist. The first line in the file is:

INBOX

subsequent lines can contain the path to specific mail files that are
treated as IMAP folders from the client.

Not sure if there are other options or not.

IMAPD shows whole filesystem?

Post by Thekla Damaschk » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 03:09:33

Let me reformulate my question:
What configuration needs to be setup
to let IMAPD know, where the users INBOX are
located and what else files should be exported
as mail-directories?
Does it read the sendmail/postfix setup files?
What else?
I definitely don't want to show the clients the
whole file-system for "subscribe".
Thanks in advance
/Thekla

IMAPD shows whole filesystem?

Post by Dean Thompso » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 19:00:47

Hi!,

Quote:> What configuration needs to be setup to let IMAPD know, where the users
> INBOX are located and what else files should be exported as
> mail-directories? Does it read the sendmail/postfix setup files?
> What else?
> I definitely don't want to show the clients the whole file-system for
> "subscribe".

I have no idea why IMAPD wants to present your entire file system to the
user.  Normally, the imapd daemon uses your <home> directory as the basis for
its operations.  The only thing you have to look out for is that your mail
client is not passing in a namespace like "/".  I have caught netscape
messenger doing this before and hence this might provide you with the wrong
entry point for imap.

Other than that, it doesn't normally need any other configuration.
IMAP will never read the setup files for sendmail or postfix, the two programs
work on different tasks.

See ya

Dean Thompson

Post by Thekla Damaschk » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 19:42:53

> Hi!,

> > What configuration needs to be setup to let IMAPD know, where the users
> > INBOX are located and what else files should be exported as
> > mail-directories? Does it read the sendmail/postfix setup files?
> > What else?
> > I definitely don't want to show the clients the whole file-system for
> > "subscribe".

> I have no idea why IMAPD wants to present your entire file system to the
> user.  Normally, the imapd daemon uses your <home> directory as the basis for
> its operations.  The only thing you have to look out for is that your mail
> client is not passing in a namespace like "/".  I have caught netscape
> messenger doing this before and hence this might provide you with the wrong
> entry point for imap.

That could it be.
I was looking at it from Netscape.
But why is it allowed for an uggly client program to ask for directories
outside the scope? Can I do something to protect my files?
Is it sufficient to run imapd as a user which isnt allowed to dig into the directories?
Or what rights apply?

Quote:> Other than that, it doesn't normally need any other configuration.
> IMAP will never read the setup files for sendmail or postfix, the two programs
> work on different tasks.

Its good to know that, I got just confused. So it offers whatever the client asks for?
That seems to be very weak. Is there another, more secure way to offer a central
mail storage for users switching between Win and Linux on their boxes
and want to have some shared folders beside their own INBOX?

Thanks in advance
/Thekla

IMAPD shows whole filesystem?

Post by Dean Thompso » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 21:12:41

Hi!,

Quote:> Its good to know that, I got just confused. So it offers whatever the
> client asks for? That seems to be very weak.

Well they are an authenticated user so they should have access to the system.
You could try compiling a new version of the IMAP daemon yourself and see
whether or not the problem lies with the distribution of the IMAP server that
you are using.

Quote:> Is there another, more secure way to offer a central mail storage for users
> switching between Win and Linux on their boxes and want to have some shared
> folders beside their own  INBOX?

I would personally look at another IMAP server as I have never seen this sort
of behaviour from any of the IMAP servers that I have used and configured.

See ya

Dean Thompson

1. Copy whole filesystem to another filesystem over network

Here's my spec:

Server #1: (it's a Samba server)
/hda1 <-- "/"

/hdb1 <-- "/home"  it got plently of space...about 20G left

Server #2: (my linux workstation)

/hda1 <-- "/"
/hdb1 <-- "/home" a 40G 7200 HD.... only 5G are used while rest are
free....

I need to repartition /hdb (probably into 4 partitions 10G each).

I need to temporarily copy over the 5G worth of content on /hdb from
Server #2 to /hdb1 of Server #1. So I can repartition the /hdb and
then copy the content back from Server #1.

My question..what is the best way to do it?

rsync?  or just mount NFS and cp /home/* /home/server2?

want more efficient and safe and quicky way as possible without
stress...

thanks..

kellyboy

2. How to remove LILO ?

3. IMAPD 255 message limit prob? RH5.0 IMAPD

4. Linux and PPTP / VPN

5. What is the command to show a whole month?

6. Return Code from ftp

7. Linux-2.4.18-rc3-ac3: bug with using whole disks as filesystems

8. Double cursor problem at 1280x1024

9. Fastest way to transfer whole filesystems?

10. Looking for a command to show filesystem/directory access

11. SMB mount of NT filesystem shows wildly wrong dates

12. HP-UX shows CD filesystems in UPPERCASE!!

13. Filesystem errors, shown with fdisk