diagnostic sniffer?

Post by Wayn » Tue, 05 Mar 2002 11:41:41

I have a private network with two servers and ten terminals running Irix.
One of the servers stops communicating with the terminals attached to it. A
reboot usually restores communications, but I want to monitor the network
and find out what is causing the traffic to stop. Is a sniffer the tool I
need, or is there some other tools available?

I intend to install the software on a Mandrake Laptop and monitor traffic.

diagnostic sniffer?

Post by Markus Wiesenbache » Wed, 06 Mar 2002 01:02:11

you can try ettercap (http://ettercap.sourceforge.net) or ethereal
(http://www.eathereal.com)
to watch exactly every packet, source and destination.
you can also use tcpdump (comes with linux).
i prefer ettercap, because you can watch eathernets which are connected over
switches
and can configure it to watch only a specific client (by naming its IP).
hope youll be successfull.

 cu
wiesi

Quote:> I have a private network with two servers and ten terminals running Irix.
> One of the servers stops communicating with the terminals attached to it.
> reboot usually restores communications, but I want to monitor the network
> and find out what is causing the traffic to stop. Is a sniffer the tool I
> need, or is there some other tools available?

> I intend to install the software on a Mandrake Laptop and monitor traffic.

1. SEND DIAGNOSTIC and RECEIVE DIAGNOSTIC RESULT

I know that the two SCSI command : SEND DIAGNOSTIC and
RECEIVE DIAGNOSTIC RESULT can be used for some advanced features. I know
how to send the command but I don't know how to pass the diagnostic
parameters.

A SEND DIAGNOSTIC command has a PF bit and a parameter list length field
to specify the page format and the length in bytes of the parameter
list. But how to pass the parameter/page ?
where is the parameter list? I am now trying to use the
TRANSLATE ADDRESS PAGE , would anyone explain to me how to use it or
give me a simple example for that ?

Marty.

2. How to configure SLIP using DP

3. Diagnostic Diskettes Model 560

4. FreeBSD and the Interbase Database

5. diagnostics to find crash source?

6. How to restrict user from using .rhosts!

7. Exercisers/Diagnostics for UNIX systems

8. How do you add X windows to an existing RH7.2 text based desktop

9. Samba diagnostics in syslog

10. netstat class total as diagnostic

11. hardware diagnostics

12. How to save diagnostic mesg from xinit?

13. How can I run S.M.A.R.T. diagnostics on external USB HDD's?