How can you get Linux to log into NT Server 4.0

How can you get Linux to log into NT Server 4.0

Post by Richard F. Jr » Tue, 15 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I have a Linux system happy  :) and running S.u.S.E. Linux 5.3 with -
kernel 2.0.36.SuSE
with network support..... So how do I do it ? the interface is 10/100

drop a line please,
Rich

Post by Frederick W. Reimer,S » Wed, 16 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> I have a Linux system happy  :) and running S.u.S.E. Linux 5.3 with -
> kernel 2.0.36.SuSE
> with network support..... So how do I do it ? the interface is 10/100

> drop a line please,
> Rich

Not sure what you want to do.  What do you mean by "login."  NT has no
login.  You can use smbclient to browse around the NT box and look at
the shares.  Or you could use smbmount (I think, I havn't done this
always mounting FROM a MS box to a Linux box) to "permanently" mount a
NT share.  What else can you do with NT?  File and print sharing is
about it right?  Not like you could run an application on it and display
it on a remote system!

Fred

How can you get Linux to log into NT Server 4.0

Post by Bill Amsinu » Wed, 16 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi !

I am afraid that you can't do this. NTs idea is based on the dictatorship
of being
centralised admin and so is MS. The domain controller has the power and
all user
accounts to verify login(logon) to the network for sharing resources.
Unix is not based on the same idea.
But the main thing is to share resources, so you can use SAMBA to connect
with NT.
Personally, my experience with NT and LINUX told me that Linux is very
tolerant
with NT(MS STUFF), but NT is not very co-operative.

What i said is what i know to that extent, comments are welcome.

Bill Amsinux

Post by Clay Bon » Thu, 17 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> accounts to verify login(logon) to the network for sharing resources.
> Unix is not based on the same idea.
> But the main thing is to share resources, so you can use SAMBA to connect
> with NT.

Related to this, I have a linux box in my office, and want to
mount my directories on a remote netware server, so I can access
the files directly from linux (and extend my storage space).

Can anybody point me in the right direction to get this info?

Thanks.

Post by Scott Hesse » Thu, 17 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> > accounts to verify login(logon) to the network for sharing resources.
> > Unix is not based on the same idea.
> > But the main thing is to share resources, so you can use SAMBA to connect
> > with NT.

> Related to this, I have a linux box in my office, and want to
> mount my directories on a remote netware server, so I can access
> the files directly from linux (and extend my storage space).

> Can anybody point me in the right direction to get this info?

> Thanks.

One possibility would be to install NFS on the NetWare server.  But, you
shouldn't need to add the NFS name space to the volume(s).  Just having
FTP set up should be enough so you can FTP files to and from your Linux box.
You'll also need to set up an account on the NetWare server so you can log in
as that user when you make the FTP connection.

Or, if you have NetWare 4.1x, you should be able to install FTP by itself from
the NetWare CD.

In either case, you'll want to make sure you've got the latest patches from
Novell to fix the FTP security problems.

I've got it set up so the Unix guys in our company can FTP files to our Novell
servers, and the mainframe and other mini's can FTP files as well.  Seems to
work pretty well.

-Scott H.

How can you get Linux to log into NT Server 4.0

Post by Ken C » Fri, 18 Dec 1998 04:00:00

If you want to access your Novell directories on your Linux box use
'ncpmount'.
--
Ken C. / MCNE
remove zz's for reply

Post by Clay Bon » Wed, 23 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> If you want to access your Novell directories on your Linux box use
> 'ncpmount'.

Okay.  But it's not on my box; can I download
it from redhat.com?

Post by Fulko van Westren » Wed, 23 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>> If you want to access your Novell directories on your Linux box use
>> 'ncpmount'.

>Okay.  But it's not on my box; can I download
>it from redhat.com?

You could do your own homework (using archie) but here is one:
Title:          ncpfs
Version:        2.2.0
Entered-date:   May 1, 1998
                server under Linux. You can also print to netware
                print queues and spool netware print queues to the
                Linux printing system.

Primary-site:   ftp.gwdg.de:/pub/linux/misc/ncpfs
Alternate-site: sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/system/Filesystems/ncpfs
                platan.vc.cvut.cz:/pub/linux/ncpfs
                  ~190k ncpfs-2.2.0.tgz
                   ~ 1k ncpfs-2.2.0.lsm
Copying-policy: GPL

Maybe RedHat has a version too, but that's something left for you.

Success,
Fulko

1. Syncronizing time on 3 Linux 5.2 servers and a NT 4.0 server

We have 3 Linux 5.2 Pent II servers using Samba to share files with a Dual
processor 500Mhz NT 4.0 domain controller server .  Each Linux server
Polls the out side world using the network, internet, and modems. The
poling is done at consistent time hacks every day 365 days a year on each
server.  The clocks drift constantly and eventually the times overlap and
ultimately one or all the servers break the Samba link or lock up a modem.
Thus, no more data until server(s) are rebooted. Is there a no-brainer way
to sync the time on these computers. I,m 7 years away from my Unix years
and a bit week in my Linux.  Kind of forced to make things happen "NOW"
and I'm not back up to par yet.

2. Making ``.plan'' EXECUTE a Program ???

3. -= NT 4.0 Server for RedHat 4.0 =-

4. PATCH: CS4281: missing pci_enable_dervice

5. Synchronizing a NT domain with NT 4.0 and Samba servers.

6. FORK

7. Linux 4.0 and NT 4.0

8. C++ program compiled on Solaris 8 doesn't run on Solaris 2.6

9. NT Server 4.0 & SCO OPEN SERVER- Dual Boot

10. Help me, please How to dialup from linux to windows NT 4.0 RAS server

11. Newbie needs help networking Linux to NT 4.0 Server

12. LINUX primary DNS & NT Server 4.0

13. Win95/Linux/Win NT 4.0 server