NCSA or Apache?

Post by Daniel Fiel » Thu, 26 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

We are currently running NCSA httpd 1.5.1 with serveral virtaul web sites
running on the same machine.  I have seen a lot of posts about Apache,
which seem to show that Apache is better than NCSA.

What benifits does Apache have over NCSA, and can it easily be configured
for a setup like the one I run with NCSA?

Daniel Field

NCSA or Apache?

Post by Desi Villaescus » Fri, 27 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> Hi,

> We are currently running NCSA httpd 1.5.1 with serveral virtaul web sites
> running on the same machine.  I have seen a lot of posts about Apache,
> which seem to show that Apache is better than NCSA.

> What benifits does Apache have over NCSA, and can it easily be configured
> for a setup like the one I run with NCSA?

> Thanks,
> --
> Daniel Field

Check out Spinner.... http://spinner.infovav.se/
Desi

NCSA or Apache?

Post by Adam Morr » Sat, 28 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Is this really a Linux question and not a comp.infosystems.www question?   :-}

Quote:>What benefits does Apache have over NCSA, and can it easily be configured
>for a setup like the one I run with NCSA?

Yes, We run Apache with several virtual servers here...   The modular stuff in
 Apache really helps with the set up in most respects...  You don't need a
seperate program to do image maps for example, as there is a built in module
for that... Stuff like that makes it really nice to work with... have a look
at the feature list on www.apache.org

Adam

1. Apache Week: how NCSA and Apache differ

The latest issue of Apache Week, the weekly guide to the Apache
server, is out now at the URL below. This week's feature
is how Apache and NCSA HTTPd differ. If you are wondering about
whether to choose Apache or NCSA, this article shows all the major
differences between the two servers. If you have an existing
NCSA configuration, it shows exactly what the differences
are for each directive.

   <URL:http://www.apacheweek.com/>

Paul
--
Paul Sutton, Technical Director, UK Web --- http://www.ukweb.com/~paul/
Apache Week: Latest news on Apache server... http://www.apacheweek.com/

2. Printcap filter to do cr to crlf mapping?

3. NCSA build Playstation 2 Linux cluster -- ncsa.UIUC.edu

4. RPMs that exit

5. NCSA HTTPD Documentation Back (hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu)

6. Jensen downgrade files

7. NCSA HTTPd NCSA/1.5.0a CGI question

8. postfix+sasl problem

9. Problems with NCSA 'DocFinder' under NCSA HTTPd 1.5

10. NCSA vs. Apache for changing passwords

11. Access Configuration with apache/ncsa-httpd

12. ncsa/apache running as nobody can't see user dirs?!

13. Change from NCSA to Apache