best way - automate startup, ppp connection for normal user

best way - automate startup, ppp connection for normal user

Post by steve » Sat, 09 Mar 2002 02:52:43

Using redhat 7.2 with KDE, and modem connection to ISP.  On a small home
network, if my wife or kids (or myself) want to connect to the internet, I
have been turning on the computer, logging on, and establishing the ppp
connection (via a button click on redhat's rp3 connection icon).  All
somewhat manually.

  What I would like to do is to have some way (established as the default
startup) to automatically connect to the ISP.  An additional requirement is
to be able to interrupt this default startup/connection sequence and login
as root or normal user for maintenance or "whatever".

Thank you,
Steve

best way - automate startup, ppp connection for normal user

Post by Michae » Sat, 09 Mar 2002 09:11:36

On Thu, 7 Mar 2002 12:52:43 -0500, "stevek"

>Using redhat 7.2 with KDE, and modem connection to ISP.  On a small home
>network, if my wife or kids (or myself) want to connect to the internet, I
>have been turning on the computer, logging on, and establishing the ppp
>connection (via a button click on redhat's rp3 connection icon).  All
>somewhat manually.

I have a machine at my parents house running debian, and it uses
ip-masq to share the net between them and my brother. No one knows
anything about the machine, except that if they want to use the net,
they load a windows client I installed called WinMClient, and then it
talks to mserver (masqdialer) on linux, which then allows them to
control the modem on the linux machine to dial or hang up.

Maybe you should look at something like this. As I am sure showing
them how to use the windows client would be easy. Infact its very
similar to how windows networking dialup client is. call or hangup.

Works well :) except now a modem has blown the modem and it no longer
works. So they need a new one. Once that is fixed they will continue
to use it as per normal.