NFS mounts needed for diskless login?

Post by Bill Comisk » Tue, 07 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I'm working on a diskless cluster, where the clients mount their
filesystems from the server.  I was hoping to minimize the number of
mounts between the diskless clients and the server to:

/tftpboot/{ip-address}
/usr
/home

where the /tftpboot/{ip-address} directory contains the entire file-
system for the client, including /bin, /sbin, /lib, /etc, /var, ...,
(empty usr and home) with common directories populated with hard-links
to a template directory.

After some brief experimentation, I found that the client would boot
OK, but any input at the login prompt produced another login prompt (&
not a password prompt).  If I mount /bin, /sbin, /lib from the server
explicitly in the client's fstab file, the login process works fine.

Can someone explain this behaviour or point me to some relevant
documentation?  Is there any way around this by through different NFS
options, altering init scripts, etc?

thanks for any help,

bill

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Additional nfs mounts on diskless machine lock nfs server

I have several diskless workstations that mostly work just fine (I have one
other issue that I'll get to later) except that if I try to mount an
additional directory from the server the nfs server stops responding to all
clients.  For example I have:

1.  Client boots and mounts it's root directory from server://tftpboot/client1
and continues to boot and work fine.

2.  Client now mounts server://data in /data and the nfs server stops
responding.

I'm running Debian Woody on the server with kernel 2.4.19 and the user space
nfs daemon.  The clients are a mixture of Debian Potato and Woody with a
variety of 2.2 and 2.4. kernels.

Any ideas?

--
Ray

2. Setup for Hercules Dynamite Pro VL 2mb and Mag DX17F

3. diskless computer doesn't mount NFS-Root

4. where to define variables for zsh with csh login shell

5. Xkernel (Diskless Sun workstation) panics trying to mount root from nfs

6. Lenght of login name

7. diskless root mounted nfs permission problems

8. good ssh client?

9. Diskless Linux (mounted via NFS)

10. Accessing a CD-ROM drive via Linux NFS in a diskless machine - help needed

11. /var/mail: to NFS mount or not to NFS mount?

12. nfs mount to a nfs mount fails

13. nfs mount problem: mount: can't get address for nfs-server.kauai