Setting a pop3 server...

Setting a pop3 server...

Post by Martin Lemen » Wed, 08 Nov 2000 04:00:00



Hi there!

I just installed redhat 7.0 and I'm now trying to install a pop3 server.
The xinetd script for the pop3 server is by default disabled. If I
enable it, or run it manually, it will start fine. However, I still
cannot receive mail from other computers. I cannot find any
configuration files or any programs to set it up. Also, I cannot find
any howtos or documentations to set it up. Any of you know what I'm
doing wrong or know of any good documentation or sites that could help
me out?

Thanks in advance,
Martin

 
 
 

Setting a pop3 server...

Post by Jem Berke » Wed, 08 Nov 2000 04:00:00


Quote:> I just installed redhat 7.0 and I'm now trying to install a pop3 server.
> The xinetd script for the pop3 server is by default disabled. If I
> enable it, or run it manually, it will start fine. However, I still
> cannot receive mail from other computers. I cannot find any
> configuration files or any programs to set it up. Also, I cannot find
> any howtos or documentations to set it up. Any of you know what I'm
> doing wrong or know of any good documentation or sites that could help
> me out?

I'm using RH7 as well.

First of all, the pop3 server is just for the retrieval of mail that has
already been received by the system. It sounds like you are having
trouble configuring your smtp server (sendmail, by default).

Sounds like you want your computer to be a mail server and accept mail
for a domain that you have? If so, here are the general steps you have
to take:

1. Alter your domain's DNS zone info so that the MX record (mail
exchanger) points to your computer running linux

2. Make sure sendmail is running on your machine.

3. Edit /etc/mail/local-host-names and enter the name of the domain the
machine will be accepting mail for

----------
http://www.pc-tools.net/
DOS, Win32, Linux software

 
 
 

Setting a pop3 server...

Post by Martin Lemen » Thu, 09 Nov 2000 04:00:00


Hi there,


> > I just installed redhat 7.0 and I'm now trying to install a pop3 server.
> > The xinetd script for the pop3 server is by default disabled. If I
> > enable it, or run it manually, it will start fine. However, I still
> > cannot receive mail from other computers. I cannot find any
> > configuration files or any programs to set it up. Also, I cannot find
> > any howtos or documentations to set it up. Any of you know what I'm
> > doing wrong or know of any good documentation or sites that could help
> > me out?

> I'm using RH7 as well.

> First of all, the pop3 server is just for the retrieval of mail that has
> already been received by the system. It sounds like you are having
> trouble configuring your smtp server (sendmail, by default).

> Sounds like you want your computer to be a mail server and accept mail
> for a domain that you have? If so, here are the general steps you have
> to take:

> 1. Alter your domain's DNS zone info so that the MX record (mail
> exchanger) points to your computer running linux

Do I need to have DNS setup? At the moment, I don't have a DNS setup,
but if that's what I got to do, then I'll do it.

Quote:

> 2. Make sure sendmail is running on your machine.

I've been able to send mail to the outside world fine.

Quote:

> 3. Edit /etc/mail/local-host-names and enter the name of the domain the
> machine will be accepting mail for

I'll try that. Thanks alot!!

I've had the same problem setting up imap. Will this also work for imap?

Martin

 
 
 

Setting a pop3 server...

Post by c.. » Sun, 19 Nov 2000 04:00:00


I am trying to setup a mail server that accepts mail similar to the
text below. I have not setup a DNS yet, but I am trying a Dynamic DNS
mail server. If this is not too much could someone tell me exactly what
needs to be done. I am using RedHat6.2.

I've tried some configurations, but when I send mail to an account on
the server, I've gotten the following messages.

1.
Reporting-MTA: dns; bucky.e*.com
Arrival-Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 20:06:52 -0800
Received-From-MTA: dns; knuckles.e*.com (199.172.148.179)


Action: failed
Status: 5.1.1
Remote-MTA: dns; mail.andor.tzo.com (24.226.78.210)
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 551 we do not relay

or
2.
  ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----

  ----- Transcript of session follows -----
553 mail.andor.tzo.com. config error: mail loops back to me (MX
problem?)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------
Reporting-MTA: dns; d226-78-210.home.cgocable.net
Received-From-MTA: DNS; fortune-rwcmta.e*.com
Arrival-Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 16:33:35 -0500


Action: failed
Status: 5.5.0
Remote-MTA: DNS; mail.andor.tzo.com
Last-Attempt-Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 16:33:40 -0500

*******************************************************



> Hi there,


> > > I just installed redhat 7.0 and I'm now trying to install a pop3
server.
> > > The xinetd script for the pop3 server is by default disabled. If I
> > > enable it, or run it manually, it will start fine. However, I
still
> > > cannot receive mail from other computers. I cannot find any
> > > configuration files or any programs to set it up. Also, I cannot
find
> > > any howtos or documentations to set it up. Any of you know what
I'm
> > > doing wrong or know of any good documentation or sites that could
help
> > > me out?

> > I'm using RH7 as well.

> > First of all, the pop3 server is just for the retrieval of mail
that has
> > already been received by the system. It sounds like you are having
> > trouble configuring your smtp server (sendmail, by default).

> > Sounds like you want your computer to be a mail server and accept
mail
> > for a domain that you have? If so, here are the general steps you
have
> > to take:

> > 1. Alter your domain's DNS zone info so that the MX record (mail
> > exchanger) points to your computer running linux

> Do I need to have DNS setup? At the moment, I don't have a DNS setup,
> but if that's what I got to do, then I'll do it.

> > 2. Make sure sendmail is running on your machine.

> I've been able to send mail to the outside world fine.

> > 3. Edit /etc/mail/local-host-names and enter the name of the domain
the
> > machine will be accepting mail for

> I'll try that. Thanks alot!!

> I've had the same problem setting up imap. Will this also work for
imap?

> Martin

Sent via Deja.com http://www.veryComputer.com/
Before you buy.
 
 
 

Setting a pop3 server...

Post by Adam KOS » Sun, 19 Nov 2000 04:00:00



:  ----- Transcript of session follows -----
:553 mail.andor.tzo.com. config error: mail loops back to me (MX
:problem?)

i've had the same problem right after installing a bind.  I had to add the
domain to my exim config az local_host so it stopped telling me there was
an MX problem (btw there was not, i only had to adjust the smtp config).

adam

=====================================================================
| Adam Kosa                               | Experience is something |

| HP    : http://home.sch.bme.hu/~bufi    | need it.                |
=====================================================================

 
 
 

1. Home POP3 server connect to ISP POP3 server

Hello,

I'm a newbie for Linux. I already have a masq network at home serving
internet masq and file sharing. I wanna to setup a home POP3/SMTP server
for our family members and I only got a dial-up connection to the ISP
with one single email address. Is it possible to setup several "home"
email addresses within my private network but still be able to send out
to the world through my single account in the ISP?





I have tried to look at some HOW-To and books but nothing mentions on
this directly...

Thanks in advance

Kelvin

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

2. Corel SCSI LS2000 card [Q]

3. setting up a SMTP or POP3 server

4. 2.4.21pre4-ac5 aic7xxx fails to compile

5. Setting up a POP3 server?

6. Please Clear Up Geometries ... :-(

7. POP3 server settings

8. Warning: Invalid flag 0000 - Help

9. Where can I find info on setting up pop3 mail servers?

10. Setting Up POP3 server

11. Problem Setting Up POP3 Server

12. iptables pop3 clients connecting to ext pop3 servers

13. setting up a POP3 server