Change MAC address without down interface

Change MAC address without down interface

Post by macd5 » Wed, 13 Oct 2004 07:08:20

Hi all,

before all, thank for reading my post.
My problem is:

I'm configuring bonding (/usr/src/linux/Documentation/networking/bonding.txt
para 2.6.x) on Debian Woody 3.0 (load balance / HA network cards), and in
the mode 6 of bonding module, I need change mac address in real time, what
i mean not doing this:

# ifconfig eth0 down
# ifconfig eth0 hw ether 00:11:22:33:44:55
# ifconfig eth0 up

my doubt is if this driver depend on the NIC interface (module params), or
depend on NIC hardware, or operating system tools or kernel version. My
server info is:

kernel 2.6.7
NIC RTL8139C --> 8139too.ko

Could I change mac address in some /proc file?
I will keep investigating...

Thanks in advance, regards!!!