Linux SLIP/PPP

Post by John T. Crote » Fri, 03 Mar 1995 23:00:22

Can anyone point me to where I can find FAQs dealing with setting up
SLIP, CSLIP, and/or PPP?  I want to start using my Linux partition for
almost everything.

--
Regards,
John T. Croteau [Network Engineer] [Linux Advocate] [Team OS/2]

Linux SLIP/PPP

Post by Ray Klasse » Mon, 06 Mar 1995 04:22:45

> Can anyone point me to where I can find FAQs dealing with setting up
> SLIP, CSLIP, and/or PPP?  I want to start using my Linux partition for
> almost everything.

> --
> Regards,
> John T. Croteau [Network Engineer] [Linux Advocate] [Team OS/2]

if slip/ppp/cslip is in your version of the kernel, you have two choices
dip (dial-ip) or pppd. both are part of the slackware distribution.

dip is in /usr/sbin and pppd is in /usr/lib/ppp. man pages are  more
or less sufficient in both cases.

Ray Klassen
Clearbrook Technical Services
Not necessarily speaking for my employer.

Linux SLIP/PPP

Post by Ethan Shay » Mon, 06 Mar 1995 04:12:44

Quote:

>Can anyone point me to where I can find FAQs dealing with setting up
>SLIP, CSLIP, and/or PPP?  I want to start using my Linux partition for
>almost everything.

The NET2-HOWTO and the Network Administrator's Guide are good places
to start. There are sections in each regarding SLIP and PPP.

                        Ethan Shayne

1. Winsock + linux = slip/ppp ?

Hello!
I can't get this to work..:(

I have a Win3.11 box connected to my linux box
with a null-modem-cable.
The Win3.11 box is running Winsock.
I can use manual login to login to the linux box ok.
But I can't get it to work with slip or ppp.

On the linux-box dip to my ISP works great with slip.

/etc/hosts:
127.0.0.1         localhost ludvig
100.100.100.100   slipmachine

/etc/diplogin
martin::slipmachine:255.255.255.0:Comment text:SLIP,296
 ( or something like this anyway..)

Winsock configured as:
IP: 100.100.100.100
Server: 127.0.0.1
MTU: 296

When logged in i tried:
/sbin/dip -i
/sbin/diplogin
/sbin/diplogin -i
/sbin/diplogin -i -p SLIP -m 296
and so on...
Nothing works!

Do You have any clue?
I have read all manpages, howto's and textfiles I have!

Please help me with this!
Reply in mail or news! I read them both often!

Martin Wahlstr?m/

2. showmount

3. Trying Linux SLIP/PPP connections

4. How to configure IBM Mwave modem?

5. So far- da SLIP/Dip Faq <was slip/ppp>

6. Problem on connecting to ISP

7. SLIP and PPP on the same Linux Server

8. Help with boot floppy containing bootp/tftp

9. SLIP/PPP linux/winsock - 1 IP address

10. Linux and PPP/SLIP

11. 8088 XT SLIP,PPP,PLIP to Linux machine possibly??

12. SLIP/PPP for X11/Linux

13. Q: SLIP/PPP works EXCEPT when talking to linux machine