slip config. problem

Post by p.. » Wed, 14 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I'm failing to set up a slip connection and can't figure out where the
problem is. I didn't find any hint in the HOWTOs or related documents.

I set up a script connecting to the slip host (using dip). The route
seems to be set up correctly (static IP address, sl0 device entry for
gateway and default route) and the log says the connection is established.
When pinging the gateway host, the packets seem to be sent through device
sl0 (blinking modem leds) but there's no answer, at least not on my
console.

I checked the configuration over and over again but couldn't figure out
where the problem is. Now I'm wondering if somebody could give me some
hints where the problem could be or what other things I should check. Is
there a simple way to read the contents of the IP-packets sent out
through a interface? That way I could find out whether my host is wrongly
configured or the slip server host.

the following is the configuration of my host:
- I disabled the local ethernet interface,
- the loopback interface is set up,
  [127.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 U 3584 0 0 lo]
- "localhost", the name of my host and of the slip server host are
  set-up in /etc/hosts (fqhn and alias),
- 'hostname' returns my host's name, 'domainname' returns my host's
  domain,
- mtu is set to the parameter i was told the server is using (1500),
- and dip uses the correct ip addresses for local/gateway hosts and
  adds the two routes after connecting (gateway and default route
  through device sl0).

That's about all which could affect a dial-out slip connection, isn't
it? I was thinking if this is set up, everything should be fine - at
least pinging the gateway host using numerical IP address should work at
this stage... Any ideas?

thanks!

regards,
roman

slip config. problem

Post by p.. » Wed, 14 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I checked the interfaces with 'ifconfig -a'; the slip interface sl0
seems to be ok. The echo-reply packets returning to ping from the
slip dial-up host arrived at the interface (# of packets received = #
of packets sent) but out of some strange reason they don't reach ping
itself... any ideas?

thanks,
roman

> I'm failing to set up a slip connection and can't figure out where the
> problem is. I didn't find any hint in the HOWTOs or related documents.

> I set up a script connecting to the slip host (using dip). The route
> seems to be set up correctly (static IP address, sl0 device entry for
> gateway and default route) and the log says the connection is established.
> When pinging the gateway host, the packets seem to be sent through device
> sl0 (blinking modem leds) but there's no answer, at least not on my
> console.

> I checked the configuration over and over again but couldn't figure out
> where the problem is. Now I'm wondering if somebody could give me some
> hints where the problem could be or what other things I should check. Is
> there a simple way to read the contents of the IP-packets sent out
> through a interface? That way I could find out whether my host is wrongly
> configured or the slip server host.

> the following is the configuration of my host:
> - I disabled the local ethernet interface,
> - the loopback interface is set up,
>   [127.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 U 3584 0 0 lo]
> - "localhost", the name of my host and of the slip server host are
>   set-up in /etc/hosts (fqhn and alias),
> - 'hostname' returns my host's name, 'domainname' returns my host's
>   domain,
> - mtu is set to the parameter i was told the server is using (1500),
> - and dip uses the correct ip addresses for local/gateway hosts and
>   adds the two routes after connecting (gateway and default route
>   through device sl0).

> That's about all which could affect a dial-out slip connection, isn't
> it? I was thinking if this is set up, everything should be fine - at
> least pinging the gateway host using numerical IP address should work at
> this stage... Any ideas?

> thanks!

> regards,
> roman

> --

1. SLIP<->SLIP Config problem

Hello everybody,
     I need your help to make configulation for my 2 linux box.

PC Workstation<-\               Lease Line                      /->PC Workstation
PC Workstation<-------->Linux Box<------------>Linux Box<------------>PC
Workstation
PC Workstation<-/                                               \->PC Workstation

        Above finger is my system configulation.I need to connected 2 LINUX box
over
the lease line by using SLIP port (I don't need to use router machine in
my config)
Is it posible to do that.If yes,How can I do?

Thanks in advance
-=Kasem=-

2. NT <-> SCO System UNIX/386 V3.2 direct cable PPP connectivity...?

3. SLIP connection config problem

4. finger problem????

5. Problem,dip, for SLIP, config requested.

6. apache proxy inter-/intranet

7. SLIP config problems

8. PATCH: xjack memory leak fixes

9. Gated Config for Linux to SLIP?

10. Config US Robotics Winmodem 28.8/33.6 for SLIP service ...

11. SLIP config ?

12. SLIP Config help

13. NET/DIP config / SLIP connect