Howto get External ISDN TA working with PPP

Howto get External ISDN TA working with PPP

Post by ronv » Mon, 24 May 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

I bought an external ISDN TA because the word was(is) this works like a
modem and Linux should be able to cope with that.
I tried connecting using Kppp and Wvdial as frontends (easy setup). A normal
modem isn't a problem at all with any of these frontends.

But ....
When i try to connect using the ISDN TA the dial-up is started but times out
after about <=1 minute.
I configured the TA with some AT commands which work fine in Windows.

It looks like pppd has problems (authentication ??)

At this point i really don't have a clue where to look for.

Any help will be welcome !

Post by Tom Trede » Mon, 31 May 1999 04:00:00

> Hello,

> I bought an external ISDN TA because the word was(is) this works like a
> modem and Linux should be able to cope with that.
> I tried connecting using Kppp and Wvdial as frontends (easy setup). A normal
> modem isn't a problem at all with any of these frontends.

> But ....
> When i try to connect using the ISDN TA the dial-up is started but times out
> after about <=1 minute.
> I configured the TA with some AT commands which work fine in Windows.

> It looks like pppd has problems (authentication ??)

> At this point i really don't have a clue where to look for.

> Any help will be welcome !

In my experience, ISDN always uses pap authentication, in which case
/etc/ppp/pap-secrets must contain your login info, one item per line, e.g., if
your login is 'foo' and your password is 'bar' then the file would say simply

foo
bar

If authentication is a problem, 'tail /var/log/messages' right after the
timeout should show that the serial line came up, then authentication failed,
then serial line disconnected.

I use no AT commands at all- the TA is an Eicon Diva, distro is RH 6.0.
There's a fairly good doc with a basic chat script (which worked right out of
the box for me) in RH /doc/HOWTO/mini/unmaintained/ISDN)

hope this helps

1. ISDN external TA - getting only 64k of 128k

We have a D-Link 128K external TA connected to a P-IV system running
RedHat Linux 8.0 (kernel 2.4) using serial comms port (16550 UART). At
present i connect to the inet by manually dialling the TA using
minicom and then running pppd -detach /dev/ttys0. Whatsoever i've
done, i m unable to get 128K Rx speed. The average Rx is just around
52k - 60kbps (6-7KBps).

The TA supports 128K for which i've to use AT%A2=6 (MLPPP), also the
portspeed is set to 230400bps in the pppd options, which the TA
supports. The dial command : ATD172225 and my ISP uses PAP
authentication (pap-secrets - OK). While i have no problems while
connecting or afterwards, the connection is stable but the only
bottleneck is the 60k downlink that i m getting.

I've calculated the Rx throughput by checking the /var/log/messages to
record the pppd startup time and the ifconfig to record the Rx data
received (in BYTES and not bits). ifconfig ppp0 reports no or very few
(2-5) packet errors. About 50-60 WinXP clients have been configured to
access proxy services which squid (2.5 stable) provides.

When i tried ATD172225&172225, the TA reported error. I tried putting
spaces around & but couldn't suceed. I have no telephones connected to
the TA. But when i connected a phone to both the ports 1 after
another, i found both the lines busy (silence). intrestingly, as
mentioned in the manual "the BACP/BOD functionality will automatically
freeup 1-b channel when the user picks up the receiver" i didn't get
any such result. both the lines remain silent without getting any
dailtone.  Are bot the channels really being used? This setup is at
our college. I've convinced the admin there to use linux+squid over
WinXP+NAT. the performance is better in linux as compared to WinXP but
Rx still is low on both the OSes.

The responses I receive after entering AT commands are :
PROTOCOL : MLPPP 128k
CONNECT 230400

I've tried using a shell script "pppd connect 'chat -v ......" for
connection. but all in vain.

what am i missing? is anything wrong?
ready to post ne other required details,
just ne suggestions are welcome.
thnx in advance

- uday

The next rock solid M$ OS :: Windows CE + Windows ME + Windows NT =
Windows CeMeNT

2. pidentd 2.2 not recording rsh right.

3. PPP over external ISDN TA?

4. MkLinux Curious problem!

5. Sync PPP with USR sportster ISDN external TA

6. Memory Usage & Availability

7. external ISDN USB TA (Elcon NT1+Multi) work under Linux?

8. XFree86 4.0!

9. Getting an eicon diva ta isdn modem working

10. PPP not working with my ISDN TA

11. External ISDN TA with RH6

12. External ISDN TA with Linux

13. external ISDN TA