1.1.81 broke NCSA httpd? Ahhh!

Post by nega.. » Tue, 17 Jan 1995 08:25:55

I've got this problem.  I run NCSA httpd, and it's been running just
fine on kernels 1.1.59-1.1.7x.  However: I just upgraded to 1.1.81,
and now the server fails to adequately serve gifs, sometimes.  In
fact, it fails to adequately serve gifs from my home page _all_ the
time, unless the gif is particularly small.

What it does is, it draws most of the image, but stops at anywhere
from one-third to two-thirds of the way down.  Other than that, the
page seems to be fine.

Has anyone else seen this, or knows what to do about it?

--

o Help Desk Technician            o http://www.graceland.edu/~negaard
o 700 College Avenue              o linux-phile

Post by Keit » Tue, 17 Jan 1995 08:00:22

>I've got this problem.  I run NCSA httpd, and it's been running just
>fine on kernels 1.1.59-1.1.7x.  However: I just upgraded to 1.1.81,
>and now the server fails to adequately serve gifs, sometimes.  In
>fact, it fails to adequately serve gifs from my home page _all_ the
>time, unless the gif is particularly small.
>What it does is, it draws most of the image, but stops at anywhere
>from one-third to two-thirds of the way down.  Other than that, the
>page seems to be fine.
>Has anyone else seen this, or knows what to do about it?

I've got that problem, but it's only when I use my machine to look at something
on my machine.  If another machine looks at an html on my machine it looks fine.
I'm running 1.1.72 right now and have that problem for quite awhile.  As long
as it's only internal I'm not gonna worry about it much.  As soon as I have
some free time I'm gonna try to track it down, but who knows.

--Keith

Keith T. Garner | "Where would I be without all my toys? / Where would I be
                |  without sampled noise? / Where would I be without seeing you

geek code:         World Wide Web homepage: http://ux4.cso.uiuc.edu/~k-garner
   GCS d--(+) -p+ c++++ l++ u++ e+ m* s-/ !n h- f* g- w+++ t++(+++) r- y+*

1.1.81 broke NCSA httpd? Ahhh!

Post by nega.. » Tue, 17 Jan 1995 09:18:21

>> I've got this problem.  I run NCSA httpd, and it's been running
>> just fine on kernels 1.1.59-1.1.7x.  However: I just upgraded to
>> 1.1.81, and now the server fails to adequately serve gifs,
>> sometimes.  In fact, it fails to adequately serve gifs from my home
>> page _all_ the time, unless the gif is particularly small.
>> What it does is, it draws most of the image, but stops at anywhere
>> from one-third to two-thirds of the way down.  Other than that, the
>> page seems to be fine.
>> Has anyone else seen this, or knows what to do about it?

Keith> I've got that problem, but it's only when I use my machine to
Keith> look at something on my machine.  If another machine looks at
Keith> an html on my machine it looks fine.  I'm running 1.1.72 right
Keith> now and have that problem for quite awhile.  As long as it's
Keith> only internal I'm not gonna worry about it much.  As soon as I
Keith> have some free time I'm gonna try to track it down, but who
Keith> knows.

Well, mine was pointed out to me by someone using a browser on a
Macintosh.  When I checked it with my local browser, I saw the same
symptoms.  I rebuilt the server, killed the old one, restarted, and
saw the same problem.  I had been running 1.1.72 and 1.1.75 without
problems of this sort.

Keith> --Keith

--

Post by Bill Sirin » Tue, 17 Jan 1995 10:00:20

>>I've got this problem.  I run NCSA httpd, and it's been running just
>>fine on kernels 1.1.59-1.1.7x.  However: I just upgraded to 1.1.81,
>>and now the server fails to adequately serve gifs, sometimes.  In
>>fact, it fails to adequately serve gifs from my home page _all_ the
>>time, unless the gif is particularly small.

>>What it does is, it draws most of the image, but stops at anywhere
>>from one-third to two-thirds of the way down.  Other than that, the
>>page seems to be fine.

>>Has anyone else seen this, or knows what to do about it?

>I've got that problem, but it's only when I use my machine to look at something
>on my machine.  If another machine looks at an html on my machine it looks fine.
>I'm running 1.1.72 right now and have that problem for quite awhile.  As long
>as it's only internal I'm not gonna worry about it much.  As soon as I have
>some free time I'm gonna try to track it down, but who knows.

Not necessarily. I just built .81 on our www server, and I cannot get
anything. Netscape loads the document (can see the percent figure rising),
but nothing shows up and I get a "TCP Error." Nothing shows up in the syslog
tho. I ran this netscape remotely too. The machine is 750km away so I cannot
test it locally ;) Try to look at http://www.bin-sixx.com

Until I built .81 everything was fine... Hmmm

        God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things
                Right now I am so far behind I will never die

1.1.81 broke NCSA httpd? Ahhh!

Post by Craig Shrimpt » Tue, 17 Jan 1995 13:00:25

: I've got this problem.  I run NCSA httpd, and it's been running just
: fine on kernels 1.1.59-1.1.7x.  However: I just upgraded to 1.1.81,
: and now the server fails to adequately serve gifs, sometimes.  In
: fact, it fails to adequately serve gifs from my home page _all_ the
: time, unless the gif is particularly small.

: What it does is, it draws most of the image, but stops at anywhere
: from one-third to two-thirds of the way down.  Other than that, the
: page seems to be fine.

This has happened to me too! Oh, this is very, very bad.  1.1.81 is the
first kernel that I have been able to get quotas and accounting to work
correctly.  I don't want to go back.  I hope some super programmer can
figure this one out but fast!

Craig

1.1.81 broke NCSA httpd? Ahhh!

Post by Michael_Nels » Wed, 18 Jan 1995 04:55:02

-> I've got this problem.  I run NCSA httpd, and it's been running just
-> fine on kernels 1.1.59-1.1.7x.  However: I just upgraded to 1.1.81,
-> and now the server fails to adequately serve gifs, sometimes.  In
-> fact, it fails to adequately serve gifs from my home page _all_ the
-> time, unless the gif is particularly small.

-> What it does is, it draws most of the image, but stops at anywhere
-> from one-third to two-thirds of the way down.  Other than that, the
-> page seems to be fine.

-> Has anyone else seen this, or knows what to do about it?

        Yep, I've seen it for the past few kernels and have reported it
to Linus and Alan.  I believe they are working on it but don't have a fix
yet.

                        Michael

--

San Francisco, CA                           FAX: 1-415-621-2608
http://www.imat.com/nelson.html           VOICE: 1-415-621-2608

1. iBCS broken with 1.1.81

I upgraded from 1.1.80 to 1.1.81 and tried to recompile iBCS, but
came up with this error:

cc -Iinclude -D__KERNEL__=1 -I../include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -m486 -DSOCKSYS_MAJOR=30  -DEMU_BSD -DEMU_X286 -DEMU_BINFMT_ELF -DEMU_BINFMT_COFF -DEMU_BINFMT_XOUT -DIBCS_TRACE -DVERBOSE_ERRORS -DCOFF_TRACE -DXOUT_DEBUG -c socksys.c
In file included from socksys.c:39:
include/ibcs/ibcs.h:32: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
socksys.c: In function `socksys_ioctl':
socksys.c:517: structure has no member named `i_socket'
socksys.c:521: structure has no member named `i_socket'
socksys.c:521: structure has no member named `i_socket'
socksys.c: In function `socksys_close':
socksys.c:689: structure has no member named `i_socket'
make: *** [socksys.o] Error 1

Of course, this prevents the building of the final binary.  Can anyone pass
this along to appropriate people, send me their email address, or comment on
how to correct the problem?

TIA
Cowboy

 Director of Law School Computing, University of Notre Dame Law School

2. Backup power, power failures, and crashes

3. Multi-homed NFS servers was Re: 1.1.81 seems to break NFS

4. oops report (or at least a try to make one)

5. 1.1.81 kernel panic NCR 53c810

6. Setting up new web cluster

7. 1.1.81 and Mitsumi 4X IDE (ATAPI) CD-ROM problems

8. IP Configuration HELP

9. 1.1.81 PCI probe hang

10. /etc/utmp error - gcc 2.6.2 kernel 1.1.81 XF86 3.1

11. Kernel change summary 1.1.81 -> 1.1.82

12. Rebuild 1.1.81 & have vmlinuz &vmlinux

13. 1.1.81 Netstat Bug?