Redhat 5.0 v's Redhat 5.1

Post by David Traver » Tue, 14 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Anyone know what the main differences are between Redhat 5.0 and Redhat 5.1?

Does 5.1 have better support for PCI networking etc

Thanks in advance.

Redhat 5.0 v's Redhat 5.1

Post by Benjamin Prot » Tue, 14 Jul 1998 04:00:00

5.1 comes with applications software.  To the best of my knowledge,
they use the same kernel and drivers.

On Mon, 13 Jul 1998 21:24:57 +0100, "David Travers"

>Anyone know what the main differences are between Redhat 5.0 and Redhat 5.1?

>Does 5.1 have better support for PCI networking etc

>Thanks in advance.

Redhat 5.0 v's Redhat 5.1

Post by Tom Yo » Tue, 14 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>5.1 comes with applications software.  To the best of my knowledge,
>they use the same kernel and drivers.

5.1 also applies all of the patches released after the 5.0 kernel.  The kernel
is 2.0.34 rather than 2.0.33.

5.1 also introduced the idea of multiple kernels with multiple modules
directories.  It's kind of confusing, but the /lib/modules/preferred directory
is linked every boot to match the active kernel (see /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit).
No documentation for this baby! :)  It will be useful to those who use
multiple kernel config's.

Probably other changes as well, but I do not know of many more.

Redhat 5.0 v's Redhat 5.1

Post by Ashwin Biha » Tue, 14 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> Anyone know what the main differences are between Redhat 5.0 and Redhat 5.1?

> Does 5.1 have better support for PCI networking etc

Redhat's site list the difference/changes as such:

Changes from Previous Version

New! Linux Applications CD - Bonus CD full of Linux Applications. Enjoy
demos/lite versions of Internet Software, Office Productivity Apps, CAD,
Development Tools, Sales Automation Software, Database Management, and
much more.

Improved Installation Guide - Now contains an updated FAQ, a list of the
packages comprising 5.1, and a "what do I do now" chapter to help you
after the install completes.

Installation Features
        Internationalization - Now you can choose from
        among 7 languages during installation: English, Czech, French, German,
        Norwegian, Romanian, and Turkish.

        Boot disk creation - During the install you now have the option
        of making a boot diskette. This can also be used to load your
        rescued iskette.

        Network enhancements - Now you can use DHCP to obtain network
        information. This is beneficial for those who have Windows NT
        servers on their network.

        Convenience - Back buttons have been added to the install so that
        you may return to previous screens and change information.

System Administration
        Linux Conf - Configuration tools are now located in one area and
        you have the choice of 4 interfaces: Command line, character
        cell, X Window based, and web based (which allows for remote
        administration).

        Rescue Diskette - Recover from mistakes or hardware failure with
        a customized rescue diskette created during the installation
        just for your computer.

Other new features
        Window Manager Enhancements

        New Compiler - egcs provides enhanced C++ support and true
        Fortran 77 support.

        Graphic Utility - Electric Eyes (ee) is now included -- easier to
        use, simpler, and faster than xv. For complex graphics
        manipulation tasks, a new version of The GIMP provides incredible
        power.

RealNetworks's RealSystem 5.0 RealPlayer, RealEncoder, and Basic Server

---

This ofcourse is the official release, but most of it should hold try for
OEM's aswell..check out the www.redhat.com site for further
details..Regards

|Ashwin Bihari                              University of Massachusetts Lowell|

| NOTE: The E-mail address on top has been mangled to stop Spam Bots..please  |
|       use the address in this box for replying.                             |

Redhat 5.0 v's Redhat 5.1

Post by Jamison Stepa » Wed, 15 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Actually I found 5.1 to install MUCH nicer than 5.0. It worked around
some proprietary Compaq stuff too that 5.0 couldn't handle.

Jamison

--
Jamison Stepan