Linux to NT printing

Post by Vic Russel » Sat, 28 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Hi,
I am running a Linux machine on a network which has many Win95 machines
and an NT (3.51) server on it.  The NT has an HP LaserJet 4 on it which
I wish to print to.  TCP/IP is working OK between the NT and the Linux
machine as I can ping it.  The NT is running the LPDSRV service.

I cannot seem to find out how to set up my Linux machine to print via
the NT machine.  Any help would be very much appreciated.

Vic Russell.

Linux to NT printing

Post by Bob Hau » Sun, 29 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I am running a Linux machine on a network which has many Win95 machines
> and an NT (3.51) server on it.

[TCP/IP seems to be working]

Quote:> I cannot seem to find out how to set up my Linux machine to print via
> the NT machine.  Any help would be very much appreciated.

You need to find out the name of the print queue.  And your NT
admin may need to give you permission to use the printer.  Then,
add "rm=host" and "rp=printer" entries to /etc/printcap on your
machine.  The rest of the printcap entry is exactly the same as
it would be if the machine were directly connected.

Unless the NT print server does something wierd...

---

 Wasatch Communications Group               http://www.wasatch.com

Linux to NT printing

Post by Matthew Smi » Tue, 01 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>Hi,
>I am running a Linux machine on a network which has many Win95 machines
>and an NT (3.51) server on it.  The NT has an HP LaserJet 4 on it which
>I wish to print to.  TCP/IP is working OK between the NT and the Linux
>machine as I can ping it.  The NT is running the LPDSRV service.

>I cannot seem to find out how to set up my Linux machine to print via
>the NT machine.  Any help would be very much appreciated.

Alternatively look at the SAMBA package (I assume you have the Laser
shared via Microsoft Network shares (SMB)...)

ftp://nimbus.anu.edu.au/pub/tridge/samba/   (from memory....)

-M

1. Printing files from LINUX using NT Print Services

I am new to the linux world but I was wondering are there any constraints
if I wanted to print files from a linux box using NT print Services. Note:
I have 2 boxes (1 LX and 1 NT for certain reasons). If so what is the best
solution.

2. Java from Sun. Will anybody port it to Linux ?

3. Linux to NT Printing Using Samba(hplj2)

4. Netscape Comm.

5. Linux to NT printing using samba

6. Linux advocacy, anyone?

7. Linux to NT printing using Samba (HP LJ 2)

8. Sed - parsing question

9. linux -> NT printing

10. NT NT NT NT NT NT NT MT

11. Q: Blank page when printing with Samba from NT 4.0 to Linux print server

12. ? Setup sol7 Sparc remot print to NT Print server