Virtual Private Network (VPN) and Public Domain Software

Post by Ted Do » Fri, 09 May 1997 04:00:00

>We are looking to build a simple little Virtual Private Network between
>two buildings.  It isn't supposed to be anything too heavy duty.  Just a
>little project.  We were wondering if there was public domain software
>(Especially for Linux) that we could do it with.  What we want to do is :

[snip]

The problem is that encryption is classified as a munition by most
governments, and therefore export controlled.  It is difficult to get
strong crypto in public domain software (Phil Zimmerman ran into
several years worth of hassles when PGP escaped into the `net).

Likely, you can find a 40-bit DES freeware if you look around.
However, this is weak enough that people are routinely cracking this
via simple exhaustive key-space searches.

I'd suggest that you do without or get a commercial product that
supplies strong crypto, meaning Triple-DES or IDEA.  Going with 40-bit
DES will more or less give you the illusion of security, rather than
the substance.

My $0.02.

- Ted

Post by Grant Taylo » Fri, 09 May 1997 04:00:00

> >We are looking to build a simple little Virtual Private Network between
> >two buildings.  It isn't supposed to be anything too heavy duty.  Just a
> >little project.  We were wondering if there was public domain software
> >(Especially for Linux) that we could do it with.  What we want to do is :

You can do this by running ppp over ssh.  I've never done it myself,
but I did clip a little script that does it:

ftp://ftp.picante.com/pub/ssh/ppp-over-ssh.txt

--

    Where do these people come from?       Finger for PGP public key.

Virtual Private Network (VPN) and Public Domain Software

Post by James Youngm » Fri, 09 May 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>Hello,

>We are looking to build a simple little Virtual Private Network between
>two buildings.  It isn't supposed to be anything too heavy duty.  Just a
>little project.  We were wondering if there was public domain software
>(Especially for Linux) that we could do it with.  What we want to do is :

>INTERNET--->Router-->(Lan)->PC+Software------------>PC+Software-->Hub-->PC's

>The entire network would have other traffic off it, but once it hit the
>2nd PC, it would then ONLY be the "secure" network.  The router would be
>programmed to forward ALL traffic for the final network via the
>PC+Software setup.

>Pointers, RTFMS, URLS accepted!

Take a look at /usr/src/linux/drivers/net/new_tunnel.c
(I've never used it and know nothing about it, however)

--
James Youngman       VG Gas Analysis Systems  The trouble with the rat-race
Before sending advertising material, read     is, even if you win, you're

Post by Angelos D. Keromyt » Fri, 09 May 1997 04:00:00

> Take a look at /usr/src/linux/drivers/net/new_tunnel.c
> (I've never used it and know nothing about it, however)

Or take a look at ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/unix/security/net/ip
The ipsec-0x files are implementations of IPsec for Linux. There's
also code for NetBSD/BSDI/OpenBSD in there (BSDipsec.tar.gz). OpenBSD
also has this code in their new release (out one of these days).
-Angelos
--

Virtual Private Network (VPN) and Public Domain Software

Post by Ernie E » Fri, 09 May 1997 04:00:00

: >
: > Hello,
: >
: > We are looking to build a simple little Virtual Private Network between
: > two buildings.  It isn't supposed to be anything too heavy duty.  Just a
: > little project.  We were wondering if there was public domain software
: > (Especially for Linux) that we could do it with.  What we want to do is :
: >
: > INTERNET--->Router-->(Lan)->PC+Software------------>PC+Software-->Hub-->PC's
: >
: > The entire network would have other traffic off it, but once it hit the
: > 2nd PC, it would then ONLY be the "secure" network.  The router would be
: > programmed to forward ALL traffic for the final network via the
: > PC+Software setup.
: >
: > Pointers, RTFMS, URLS accepted!
: >
: > Tuc
: >

First have a look at www.skip.org to understand what SKIP is all about
then go to http://www.tik.ee.ethz.ch/~skip/ to grab a devlopmental linux port.

- Ernie.

1. private network -VPN-private network routing

I have set up a VPN with an SSH tunnel with the following topology
192.168.0.7

------------------------
|192.168.0.1(PRIVATE)   |
|a.a.a.a(PUBLIC CLASS c)|____
------------------------    |

                        -----------------
                        | 192.168.253.2 |
                        |  ssh-ppp-vpn  |
                        |               |
                        | 192.168.253.3 |
                        -----------------

------------------------    |
B.B.B.B(public CLASS C)|____|
10.240.2.11(CLASS C)   |
------------------------

------------------------
10.240.2.2             |
------------------------

I have set the routing up such that I can ping every ip address on the
A  and B internet(public) machines and the ppp tunnel. But if I am on
either machine 10.240.2.2 or 192.168.0.7, I cannot ping from public to
oposite private or from private to private.  I have enabled IP
forwarding on both boxes.  Machine A is redhat 6.2 machine b is redhat
7 if that matters.  Any body have any idea what I should check to
enable private network to private network communication.

Todd
Todd Gruben
Daring Technologies
Austin Tx

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. UltraSparc/multiple NICs/SuSE7.1 config

3. VPN Virtual Private Network

4. xset fonts path problem (HP-UX)

5. Question on VPN (Virtual Private Networking)i

6. KSR[T] Advisory #5: dillon crontab / crond

7. Virtual Private Network (VPN) with Linux and security

8. PORT XENIX BINARIES TO LINUX

9. How to setup Virtual Private Networking (VPN) in Linux?

10. vpn, (Virtual Private Network)?

11. VPN(Virtual Private Network)

12. public domain networking software

13. DSL software router with firewalling and virtual private networking with your SEGA Dreamcast.