Linux as DOS fileserver? (NFS on DOS?)

Post by Robb Shect » Tue, 11 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Hello, all -

        The title says it all; can this be done?  Thanks ahead of time
for any replies.

- Robb Shecter

Post by Eric Ashm » Tue, 11 Apr 1995 04:00:00

: Hello, all -

:       The title says it all; can this be done?  Thanks ahead of time
: for any replies.

: - Robb Shecter

Sure can!  Get a copy of xfs286.zip at
ftp://oak.oakland.edu/simtel/msdos/nfs

It's real cheap to register (like $15) for a client.

Then add the PC into your /etc/exports file and start the standard nfs
daemons along with /usr/sbin/rpc.pcnfsd for authentication.

That's all it takes.  There are other clients that work too, but this one
was the cheapest and the easiest I found.

-Eric
-CSIS, The American University
-Washington DC 20016

Post by David Caron 30 » Wed, 12 Apr 1995 04:00:00

>Subject: Re: Linux as DOS fileserver? (NFS on DOS?)
>Date: 10 Apr 1995 19:59:55 GMT

>: Hello, all -
>:       The title says it all; can this be done?  Thanks ahead of time
>: for any replies.
>: - Robb Shecter
>Sure can!  Get a copy of xfs286.zip at
>ftp://oak.oakland.edu/simtel/msdos/nfs
>It's real cheap to register (like $15) for a client.
>Then add the PC into your /etc/exports file and start the standard nfs
>daemons along with /usr/sbin/rpc.pcnfsd for authentication.
>That's all it takes.  There are other clients that work too, but this one
>was the cheapest and the easiest I found.
>-Eric
>-CSIS, The American University
>-Washington DC 20016

What is the speed like?

Brillo #8^)

Post by Sergey Pan » Wed, 12 Apr 1995 04:00:00

>>Sure can!  Get a copy of xfs286.zip at
>>ftp://oak.oakland.edu/simtel/msdos/nfs
>>It's real cheap to register (like $15) for a client.
>>Then add the PC into your /etc/exports file and start the standard nfs
>>daemons along with /usr/sbin/rpc.pcnfsd for authentication.
>What is the speed like?

We are using PC/TCP3.0 from FTP Software. I tryed some benchmarking
sometimes ago. It is not scientific but can give you filing.

While copying 3Mb file from/to(do not remember) the local drive
(DOS/Windows, 130Mb? WD? drive) to/from NFS mounted drive was about
30% faster then from one location to another on the local drive, the
other way (to/from (do not remember) was marginaly faster. But, until
we start using cashe provided in the PCTCP pack, we had problem with
one of the badlly written program ( SigmaPlot2.0 for Windows). That
program was importing ASCII files reading first byte a few times, then
first and second a few times, then first,second and third a few times
and so on. That was a death sentence for pcnfs, but local cashe solved
problem (MS SmartDrive would not work for NFS mounted drives) and even
exporting ASCII to SPW2.0 is now faster from the PCNFS mounted drives(
though we created another minor problem -- drive on which you have
SigmaPlot's working directory will be unmounted when you exit
Windows, no problems with everything else including Word_imPerfect6.0,
123 v5 , ....)

Sergey

Post by Alexander » Wed, 12 Apr 1995 04:00:00

> Hello, all -

>    The title says it all; can this be done?  Thanks ahead of time
> for any replies.

Yes. Using Samba (from sunsite) at Linux and use MS LanMan an PCs
(ftp.microsoft.com).
MS LanMan is free.

Bye
Alex. Dong

Post by Joost Helbe » Thu, 20 Apr 1995 04:00:00

   Hello, all -

           The title says it all; can this be done?  Thanks ahead of time
   for any replies.

Sure, we do it all the time.
We use FTp's NFS clients on Windows or DOS and Linux is the file-server.

Post by Mr Pin » Thu, 20 Apr 1995 04:00:00

writes:
>   Hello, all -

>       The title says it all; can this be done?  Thanks ahead of time
>   for any replies.

Easily.  Ive played Doom on a DOS/PC over NFS to my Linux server, worked fine!

--

"Why should i be frightened of dying?  Theres no reason for it.
 You've got to go sometime."  - TGGITS

Post by Leslie Mikese » Fri, 21 Apr 1995 04:00:00

>   Hello, all -

>       The title says it all; can this be done?  Thanks ahead of time
>   for any replies.

>Sure, we do it all the time.
>We use FTp's NFS clients on Windows or DOS and Linux is the file-server.

Or, run 'samba' on Linux, and Windows-for-WorkGroups, NT, or a LanMan
client on the PC's.

Les Mikesell

Post by Emmanuel Charpenti » Fri, 21 Apr 1995 04:00:00

:    Hello, all -

:          The title says it all; can this be done?  Thanks ahead of time
:    for any replies.

: Sure, we do it all the time.
: We use FTp's NFS clients on Windows or DOS and Linux is the file-server.

I can(t be sure (not enough experience with NFS clients on DOS), but I'd
suggest to consider NetBEUI (at least in its WFWG incarnation) and Samba as
an alternative. I tried it and was amazed by the performance relative to the
hardware (cruftware, in fact) i used as a "server".

--
Emmanuel Charpentier

Post by Cesar Baqueri » Sat, 22 Apr 1995 04:00:00

|> Or, run 'samba' on Linux, and Windows-for-WorkGroups, NT, or a LanMan
|> client on the PC's.

OK the I know this might be a stupid question!  The FAQ says samba is
"netbios for UNIX".  Do you or do you not need TCP/IP running on the
UNIX box.

CDB

Post by Leslie Mikese » Sat, 22 Apr 1995 04:00:00

>|> Or, run 'samba' on Linux, and Windows-for-WorkGroups, NT, or a LanMan
>|> client on the PC's.
>OK the I know this might be a stupid question!  The FAQ says samba is
>"netbios for UNIX".  Do you or do you not need TCP/IP running on the
>UNIX box.

Yes, samba only uses the tcp transport, so you must add that to the
PC's too.  You can get the tcp stack for WFW and the complete
lanman clients for dos and os/2 from ftp.microsoft.com. NT already
includes the tcp layer.

Les Mikesell

Post by lar.. » Sun, 23 Apr 1995 04:00:00

>>   Hello, all -

>>           The title says it all; can this be done?  Thanks ahead of time
>>   for any replies.

>>Sure, we do it all the time.
>>We use FTp's NFS clients on Windows or DOS and Linux is the file-server.

>Or, run 'samba' on Linux, and Windows-for-WorkGroups, NT, or a LanMan
>client on the PC's.

>Les Mikesell

Another choice might be to look for TSOFT's NFS client for DOS and use your
Linux Box as a NFS file server.  I tried this scenario out with Windows 3.1
installed on the Linux server and the workstations do their mail and printing
also through the Linux box. Performance is poor if you don't have enough
memory or horsepower on you Linux Box. We were just testing out multiple
configurations of Windows on a small network and found this one was not a
good choice from a performance aspect.  The fact is it did work for a 2 or 3
computer network it does the job sufficiently.

                                                John Larson

Linux as DOS fileserver? (NFS on DOS?)

Post by Jackie McNa » Mon, 24 Apr 1995 04:00:00

: >>   Hello, all -
: >>
: >>         The title says it all; can this be done?  Thanks ahead of time
: >>   for any replies.
: >>
: >>Sure, we do it all the time.
: >>We use FTp's NFS clients on Windows or DOS and Linux is the file-server.
: >
: >Or, run 'samba' on Linux, and Windows-for-WorkGroups, NT, or a LanMan
: >client on the PC's.
: >
: >Les Mikesell

Were using XFS here at the house.  We've got two Linux filesystems mounted
as K: and L:, plus the linux printer mounted as LPT1:

Works great!

Post by Alan Cle » Wed, 26 Apr 1995 04:00:00

] Yes, samba only uses the tcp transport, so you must add that to the
] PC's too.  You can get the tcp stack for WFW and the complete
] lanman clients for dos and os/2 from ftp.microsoft.com. NT already
] includes the tcp layer.

As done Win'95 [and it kicks serious butt].

-abc
--
                                              Alan B. Clegg
                                              Information Systems Manager

Post by Ulrich Pa » Wed, 06 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>> Hello, all -

>>        The title says it all; can this be done?  Thanks ahead of time
>> for any replies.

>Yes. Using Samba (from sunsite) at Linux and use MS LanMan an PCs
>(ftp.microsoft.com).

or use that from Tsoft, available from ftp.tsoft.com
But beware! In any case you have to setup your network on the DOS machines
carefully. I use PDETHER as the packet driver interface and the packet driver
for my lan card. So I run IPX/ODI to the Novell server and NFS on TCP/IP to the
linux machine. Telnet works fine, too (It is from NCSA).

I you have any questions, contact me by email.

Paulchen

HI there,

In about march we should be getting a second PC in our house. I was
concidering trying to network the two machines. One of the machines
is going to be a DOS/Windows affair while the other one is hoping
to become a DOS and Linux setup. I have a few questions that I hope
that someone out there can answer. (The kind of network I'm concid-
ering is peer-to-peer, I think)

1) Using Novell Netware light on the DOS/Windows machine, could it
connect to the Linux machine using standard networking stuff? Would
I be able to have netware on my DOS partition of my Linux/DOS machine
so that when I boot it up using DOS I'm still connected?

2) If I were using the Linux front end for DOOM, could I still play
a multiplayer game across the network? Or would I have to go back to
DOS?

3) Just out of curiosity, could anyone give me info on cost. I've
got a home made estimate (made from various sources) of :

Cabling (roughly)                               :20
                                                ----
Total                                           136

This is a rough estimate, if anyone can confirm or deny this value
please set me straight.

Answers would be much appersiated as it will influence my decision
as to weather to get the network and/or to get Linux.

TTFN and TC, Michael Dales

-'Damn you and your networking problems Q!'-Picard

2. GNOME and ORBit installation

3. Linux box as fileserver to DOS box via parallel?

4. Does Windows 98 SE crash after 47 days?

5. Linux as DOS fileserver

6. Some (not too brief) thoughts on the IHV problem

7. Linux as a DOS fileserver?

8. Problem with AIX 4.3.2 Upgrade

9. Linux as DOS/Windows fileserver?

10. Mount DOS on DOS machine from LINUX on LINUX machine

11. FreeBSD as fileserver for WIN/DOS clients

12. using FreeBSD as fileserver for DOS system

13. Uninstall Linux: Deleted "non dos partition" with DOS fdisk -- Now what?!?