what is this /usr/sbin/nmbd error msg in syslog about??

what is this /usr/sbin/nmbd error msg in syslog about??

Post by Mark Jeftov » Wed, 06 Dec 1995 04:00:00

On a pentium I just added to my net I get a high quantity of messages
in my syslog file saying:

inetd[44]: /usr/bin/nmbd: exit status 0x1

Also a lot of "Last message repeated 1,000,000 times" kinda deal.

I don't even have that program in that directory, or anywhere else
that I can tell. Only thing I can think of is my name service is
configured as a primary for a domain that is still served as primary
by someone else. I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it
and it'll go away when the other ISP nukes that domain from their
NS and the change get processed by Internic. But that's just a guess.

Mark Jeftovic                      http://www.shmooze.net/~markjr

Private World Comm. * 19 Tyndall Ave #3 * Toronto, Ont. * C eh N eh D eh * M6K 2E8

Post by Steve Hsi » Fri, 08 Dec 1995 04:00:00

MJ> On a pentium I just added to my net I get a high quantity of
MJ> messages in my syslog file saying:

MJ> inetd[44]: /usr/bin/nmbd: exit status 0x1

MJ> Also a lot of "Last message repeated 1,000,000 times" kinda deal.

MJ> I don't even have that program in that directory, or anywhere else
MJ> that I can tell.

nmbd is part of samba. It acts as a nameserver for windows network.
Most likely, there are PCs running windows for workgroups or win95 on
your net that are looking for a WINS nameserver.  The easiest way to
stop the messages is to comment it out in the /etc/inetd.conf file:

netbios-ns     dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/sbin/nmbd  nmbd

and then do a kill -HUP <pid of inetd>

what is this /usr/sbin/nmbd error msg in syslog about??

Post by Tony L. Hay » Sat, 09 Dec 1995 04:00:00

There is an entry in the /etc/inetd.conf file that trys to start
this program (which is used according to the file for such things
as windows for workgroups and what not).  Anyway, comment out the
line in the inetd.conf file and restart inetd (kill -1 PID of inetd).

The errors will stop.

Alternatively, if you want thses files, fetch them and install them.

  Tony L. Hayes                    |     Epsilon Data Management
  Unix System Administrator        |     Information Systems Division

  phone: 617-273-2630 x6763        |     Burlington, MA 01803

Post by Huw Richar » Sat, 09 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>On a pentium I just added to my net I get a high quantity of messages
>in my syslog file saying:
>inetd[44]: /usr/bin/nmbd: exit status 0x1
>Also a lot of "Last message repeated 1,000,000 times" kinda deal.
>I don't even have that program in that directory, or anywhere else
>that I can tell. Only thing I can think of is my name service is
>configured as a primary for a domain that is still served as primary
>by someone else. I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it
>and it'll go away when the other ISP nukes that domain from their
>NS and the change get processed by Internic. But that's just a guess.

nmbd is part of the SAMBA LAN Manager package.

Either install SAMBA or put a # in front of the smbd & nmbd lines in
the file /etc/inetd.conf. Stop and restart your inetd process using
kill -1 <process id> and the errors should disappear from syslog.

H.

Advertising Software Ltd                    Tel +44 (0) 171 258 0599
23/25 Montagu Street                        Fax +44 (0) 171 723 0674
London W1H 1TB

what is this /usr/sbin/nmbd error msg in syslog about??

Post by Mark Jeftov » Tue, 12 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>On a pentium I just added to my net I get a high quantity of messages
>in my syslog file saying:

>inetd[44]: /usr/bin/nmbd: exit status 0x1

Thanks to everyone who responded on this one. It was driving me
nuts.

...markjr

|||| mark jeftovic              |||||  http://www.shmooze.net/~markjr/    ||||
|||| p r i v a t e    w o r l d |||||  Create Yer Own cOunTEr-cULtUre     ||||
the Primordial Shmooze* http://shmooze.net/pwcasual *It ain't Compuserve baby

Post by a.. » Wed, 13 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>On a pentium I just added to my net I get a high quantity of messages
>in my syslog file saying:
>inetd[44]: /usr/bin/nmbd: exit status 0x1
>Also a lot of "Last message repeated 1,000,000 times" kinda deal.
>I don't even have that program in that directory, or anywhere else
>that I can tell. Only thing I can think of is my name service is
>configured as a primary for a domain that is still served as primary
>by someone else. I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it
>and it'll go away when the other ISP nukes that domain from their
>NS and the change get processed by Internic. But that's just a guess.

This is a problem with your file /etc/inetd.conf.

Comment out the last lines about netbios and your problem will be
gone.

Sylvain Bilodeau
Technical support
Liaison Internet Quebec

Post by Gregory G. Woodbu » Sat, 16 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>>On a pentium I just added to my net I get a high quantity of messages
>>in my syslog file saying:

>>inetd[44]: /usr/bin/nmbd: exit status 0x1

>Thanks to everyone who responded on this one. It was driving me >nuts.

How about telling everyone else a summary of the problem?

It just sort of peeves me when I see a question, and then a thanks, with
NO indication of the answer or any discussion!

Greg
--
Gregory G. Woodbury     Owner/Admin Wolves Den Usenet Node and ISIS BBS

"The line eater is a boojum snark."    "The flame is a Usenet specific art form."