howto find ip address

Post by rauznitz balaz » Fri, 29 Aug 1997 04:00:00

hi,

i'd need to find the ip address of a host, but nslookup is not able to do
so. i'm sure it's a good name, because i can send mail there, maybe it's
just an alias or something like that.

thanx: rob

ps: the name is prompt92.hu.

howto find ip address

Post by Lex Weav » Fri, 29 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>hi,

>i'd need to find the ip address of a host, but nslookup is not able to do
>so. i'm sure it's a good name, because i can send mail there, maybe it's
>just an alias or something like that.

>thanx: rob

>ps: the name is prompt92.hu.

I tried using `host` and got the following which may be of some help.

% host prompt92.hu
prompt92.hu mail is handled by castor.net.matav.hu
prompt92.hu mail is handled by luna.prompt92.hu

% host castor.net.matav.hu
castor.net.matav.hu has address 145.236.224.250

% host luna.prompt92.hu
luna.prompt92.hu has address 195.228.97.2

IT Development Manager                  http://www.anu.edu.au/res/burgmann
Burgmann College                        Ph:  (02) 6279 8180 bh
Australian National University               (02) 6267 5204 ah
Canberra AUSTRALIA                      Fax: (02) 6257 2655

1. Finding the ip address and hardware (ethernet) address of client behind a gateway

Hi folks,

I've setup a gateway and the clients, which connect to the gateway,
can access the Internet without any problems.

          ------------------
          |                |
          |                |
          |   clients      |--------------- gateway -------- Internet
          |                |
          |                |
          ------------------

My question is how can I obtain the ip address and the corresponding
hardware adderss automatically and store it in a plain text file when
the gateway boots up????

Please help!!
Thanks in advance,

William

2. Debian on Boot magazine CD

3. from known MAC address to find IP address

4. "Kernel too big"-problem

5. Changing IP address on Solaris 9 with multiple virtual IP addresses

6. Text display problem with RH 6

7. WANTED: pingmac <IP ADDR> which returns <MAC ADDRESS of IP ADDRESS>

8. nfs tuning for fast server, slow client

9. dynamic ip address - how to get to know my ip address?

10. IP Masquerading with IP Address and Mac Address Restrictions

11. Howto set an IP address range into rules of iptables

12. howto check ip address in shell without using ifconfig?

13. Howto get the IP Address