FYI: A Bug in libc.so.4.6.27 Causing Problem in SLIP Setup

FYI: A Bug in libc.so.4.6.27 Causing Problem in SLIP Setup

Post by Ross L » Fri, 19 May 1995 04:00:00

Hi,

I think I found a bug in libc.so.4.6.27, which causes problems whenever the
gethostbyname() is called.  This bug will show up and give a message "Unknown
server error" when I try to use ftp, telnet, or any client programs to connect
to any host other than those specified in my /etc/hosts.  No nameserver can be
used even though /etc/resolv.conf is set up correctly.

    Here is how I found it, and how the problem can be duplicated and solved.

    I set up SLIP connection early in January when I got a trial licence for
TIA for 14 days.  Everything was working correctly at that time. After my trial
licence expired, I switched to term and have been using term since then.  Since
then I upgraded my kernel, libc, gcc, dip, etc. to the latest version.  Just
recently, I purchased the TIA licence and tried to set up my SLIP connection
again.  But my early SLIP setup no longer worked.  I could only ftp/telnet to
the hosts specified in my /etc/hosts file, if I use hostname as command line
argument.  I could ftp/telnet to any other hosts only if I use IP address as
the command line argument.  However, nslookup did works fine with no problem
in name-to-address translation.

    After tracing down the problem,  I finally found the libc.so.4.6.27 is
the culprit.  When gethostbyname() is called, it calls the following
subroutines gethostbyname() --> res_search() --> res_querydomain() -->
res_query() --> res_mkquery() and res_send().  The res_send() is always
return failed when called.  The problem can be temparily solved by doing
the following:
    (1) copying libc.so.4.5.26 into /lib directory,
    (2) ln -s /lib/libc.so.4.5.26 /lib/libc.so.4
    (3) moving libc.so.4.6.27 out of /lib
The step (3) is necessary.  Otherwise, ftp/telnet will still link to the
libc.so.4.6.27.  You can know this by using "ldd /bin/ftp". The step (2) and
(3) should be changed in sequence.  Otherwise, no command can be
executed without libc.so.4.

    The libc.so.4.5.26 can be found at:
          ftp://tsx-11.mit.edu/pub/linux/distributions/SLS/a4/shlibs.tgz.

    I have not pinned down the exact codes which cause the problem.  I will do
so if I can find the source code for libc.so.4.5.26.  If anybody has the info
please let me know.

Li

FYI: A Bug in libc.so.4.6.27 Causing Problem in SLIP Setup

Post by Henry Wert » Sat, 20 May 1995 04:00:00

     I have 4.6.27, and I can tell you that it *does* say unknow server error
when it cannot connect, which I agree seems to be a bug, or at least a change
in error handling from 4.5.26;  however, I do not always usually get this
error; when I do get it, I can telnet to blue (the host I am running SLiRP
from..) and traceroute or ping or something from there, I get a sign that a
netlink is in fact down...
     Maybe your nameserver changed IPs 8-).  Just check by running "host (name
of your nameserver)" from the remote machine.  Also, I'm not sure but you
might *have* to use IP's in /etc/host.conf, i.e. no putting name addresses for
nameservers in /etc/host.conf and just counting on it looking 'em up in
/etc/hosts *shrug*.

---

for this .sig 8-)
It's reported that Canter & Siegel search for and archive all articles
that contain their names or "Green Card".  This .sig is to help them.

Post by Wolfgang Szoe » Sun, 21 May 1995 04:00:00

: Hi,

: I think I found a bug in libc.so.4.6.27, which causes problems whenever the
: gethostbyname() is called.  This bug will show up and give a message "Unknown
: server error" when I try to use ftp, telnet, or any client programs to connect

Well, i don't believe it.
I'm using PPP instead of SLIP, libc.so.4.6.27 - and it works !
I never had problems, and my /etc/hosts contains only my own hostname.

...sounds more like a problem of your slip-code

Bye Wolfgang
--

\----------------------------------------\           _         ______ |
 \ Wolfgang Szoecs  TFH-Berlin, Germany   \        /TFH\____-=0`/|0`/__|

  /HTTP://www.tfh-berlin.de/~wolfi/        /        `/-==_____/__|/__=-|
 /     Make Unix   -   Not DOS            /         *             \ | |
/----------------------------------------/                        (o)

FYI: A Bug in libc.so.4.6.27 Causing Problem in SLIP Setup

Post by Glen McCo » Wed, 24 May 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>Hi,

>I think I found a bug in libc.so.4.6.27, which causes

problems whenever the

Quote:>gethostbyname() is called.

I was having the same problem and using his workaround I
am able to ftp to using a host name instead of an ip
address. I was using InfoMagic's latest 4 CD set of
SlackWare 2.2.

1. FYI: A Bug In Libc.so.4.6.27 Causing Problem in SLIP Setup

                            ^^^^^^

This must be 4.5.26 - otherwise you'll be stuck with a non-working
system ! I suppose this was just a typo ?

* Our continuing mission: To seek out knowledge of C, to explore strange *
* UNIX commands and to boldly code where no one has manpage 4...         *

2. athena widget set ?? What's this? where?

3. bug in libc.so.4.6.27 ?

4. Yggdrasil Linux won't boot

5. sendmail and libc.so.4.6.27 problem

6. PCI card char driver

7. Found+fixed bug libc 4.6.27 - please comment

8. F7B code on 7043-140 ??

9. libc 4.6.27 bug

10. /lib/libc.so.4.5.26 and /lib/libc.so.4.6.27

11. Compiling libc.so.4.6.27!

12. Really odd request for ELF libc.so.4.6.27