Only root or su can write to NT shares

Post by Jack Palmadess » Wed, 08 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I've yet to see this posted anywhere so here goes. My roomates and I all
connect to the net via a cable router connected to an NT box with lots
of disk space.  We all have directories on the NT box to store our
stuff.  I connect via Samba using my Suse 63 box and my md7 laptop with
no problems.
I become root or su and then use smbmount to mount the NT box to a dir I
call /server   My problem is that I can only read or execute from the NT
mount. I cannot write to the NT box unless I login or su to root.  This
is ok but rather annoying.  I have pw encryption turned on of course.
Also security=user. I would like normal users to be able to write the
the NT box freely.  What needs to be set?

I've tried the following

checked out the permissions for the dir I created to mount the server to
and chmod 777 /server.
This had the effect of opening all the permissions up but as soon as I
tried to smbmount //server/shared /server   and then checked permissions
they were all set back to rwxr_xr_x  What gives?  This kind of points to
Unix permissions to me where I am kind of weak.  Why are they resetting
themselves?

Jack

Only root or su can write to NT shares

Post by Andrew William » Wed, 08 Mar 2000 04:00:00

You do not say what level of Samba or smbmount you are using.  If you have
2.0.5 (or .5a), upgrade.  All other levels offer this one way or another.
Look at section 4.14. on the link below and go on to the appropriate
subsection.

--
Mielipiteet omiani - Opinions personal, facts suspect, especially on my
        http://home.germany.net/101-69082/samba.html

Only root or su can write to NT shares

Post by Peter Wan » Wed, 08 Mar 2000 04:00:00

you should try looking at the "mount" man page.  more specifically,
look for the "uid" and "gid" and "umask" option flags with which you
can mount filesystems with certain permissions, and as certain users.

in general, when you mount a non-ext2 filesystem, you can't assume
that the permissions are set properly.  with windows filesystems
(msdos, vfat, ntfs, smbfs), since there is no real concept of
"permission", whatever permissions were on the directory before you
executed the "mount" command are overwritten by the default 755 unless
you specify otherwise during the mount.

good luck,
peter

Quote:>I've yet to see this posted anywhere so here goes. My roomates and I all
>connect to the net via a cable router connected to an NT box with lots
>of disk space.  We all have directories on the NT box to store our
>stuff.  I connect via Samba using my Suse 63 box and my md7 laptop with
>no problems.
>I become root or su and then use smbmount to mount the NT box to a dir I
>call /server   My problem is that I can only read or execute from the NT
>mount. I cannot write to the NT box unless I login or su to root.  This
>is ok but rather annoying.  I have pw encryption turned on of course.
>Also security=user. I would like normal users to be able to write the
>the NT box freely.  What needs to be set?

>I've tried the following

>checked out the permissions for the dir I created to mount the server to
>and chmod 777 /server.
>This had the effect of opening all the permissions up but as soon as I
>tried to smbmount //server/shared /server   and then checked permissions
>they were all set back to rwxr_xr_x  What gives?  This kind of points to
>Unix permissions to me where I am kind of weak.  Why are they resetting
>themselves?

>Jack

1. differences between su root and su - root

Hey there.  I have a problem.  I have a user who needs to ftp off my
non-ftp server using a tunnel through the firewall.  If the user tries
to ftp, they get the following:

422 [people2]ediprod:/gentran/prod> ftp nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn
Connected to nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn.
220 ieftp5 IE-FTP server (v4r1m0.e) ready on system USA.

(It hangs up with no logon prompt)

If I do a su root, I get the same thing:

246 [people2]ediprod:/gentran/prod> ftp nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn
Connected to nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn.
220 ieftp5 IE-FTP server (v4r1m0.e) ready on system USA.

(It hangs up with no logon prompt)

But, if I use su - root, I get a successful connection:

people2:/)ftp nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn
Connected to nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn.
220 ieftp5 IE-FTP server (v4r1m0.e) ready on system USA.
Name (nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn:xxxxxxx):

I did a path and env on both the su and the - su and the only
difference that I can see is this line:

su - root : AUTHSTATE=files
su root   : AUTHSTATE=compat

However, even if I change the AUTHSTATE in the su root with the
command
 people2:/)export AUTHSTATE=files , it still does not work.

Can anyone tell me what I am missing here and help be resolve this
issue so my user will be a happy camper??

thanks in advance, and have a great new year.

clark 'the dragon' willis

2. DHCP

3. su root: You do not have permission to su root ?

4. Linkkit and Xfree 2.1

5. Solution: differences between su root and su - root

6. Filtering Blues

7. su to a user then su to root in startup script

8. Eiger Labs PCMCIA SCSI

9. su problem -- su: Unknown id: root

10. GNU su (was Re: Preventing SU Root)

11. Could su but says BAD SU from normal user to root

12. Cannot su, or su - to anything ~ including root

13. Can't write to Linux share from NT Server...