UK ISP (Virgin.net)

Post by Stephen Robinso » Wed, 11 May 2005 05:12:44

Hi All.

I'm thinking of switching ISP as the DNS is often unavailable on my
current one. The guys at work (all Windows) all use *.net for their
home ISP's and seem to love it. Does anyone know if it works with Linux
for dialup (or ADSL for that matter)?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

UK ISP (Virgin.net)

Post by Moe Tr » Thu, 12 May 2005 11:02:46

>I'm thinking of switching ISP as the DNS is often unavailable on my
>current one.

You could run your own name server. Block external queries if you
are worried about security.

Quote:>The guys at work (all Windows) all use *.net for their home ISP's
>and seem to love it. Does anyone know if it works with Linux for dialup
>(or ADSL for that matter)?

You really ought to be asking in uk.comp.os.linux - but yes, both will
work with Linux.  "Windoze Only" network protocols are not compatible
with the Internet, so even microsoft doesn't use them.

        Old guy

UK ISP (Virgin.net)

Post by Unru » Thu, 12 May 2005 13:51:31

>>I'm thinking of switching ISP as the DNS is often unavailable on my
>>current one.
>You could run your own name server. Block external queries if you
>are worried about security.
>>The guys at work (all Windows) all use *.net for their home ISP's
>>and seem to love it. Does anyone know if it works with Linux for dialup
>>(or ADSL for that matter)?

AAAARGHARLLABLEUIOO. It was a year and a half ago, but I found *.net
ADSL to be manned by incompetents all around. The connection was like going
through a tin can and string-- latencies of 5 sec often. I typically spent
20 min on the phone when trying to talk to anyone about a problem -- the
record was being put on hold for 1hr 15 min. I tried to cancel, was assured
that the cancellation was put through and then kept getting bills for 5
months (the only way it stopped was to order my credit card company to stop
paying, and then * threatened to stop my service. "Please, please do"
I replied.)
Now maybe they have improved, but I would need a huge bunch of convincing.

UK ISP (Virgin.net)

Post by Pats » Mon, 16 May 2005 18:52:34

Quote:> AAAARGHARLLABLEUIOO. It was a year and a half ago, but I found *.net
> ADSL to be manned by incompetents all around. The connection was like going
> through a tin can and string-- latencies of 5 sec often. I typically spent
> 20 min on the phone when trying to talk to anyone about a problem -- the
> record was being put on hold for 1hr 15 min. I tried to cancel, was assured
> that the cancellation was put through and then kept getting bills for 5
> months (the only way it stopped was to order my credit card company to stop
> paying, and then * threatened to stop my service. "Please, please do"
> I replied.)
> Now maybe they have improved, but I would need a huge bunch of convincing.

Further to this, one of my friends on * recently got a scolding
email telling him that he was 'using too much bandwidth and spoiling the
service for other users, so could he please limit his downloads.
Otherwise the might disconnect him.' For an UNLIMITED bandwidth
connection (what he is paying them for) I would class that as bad
service (contradictory even...). Just thought it would be worth mentioning.

Patsy

UK ISP (Virgin.net)

Post by Moe Tr » Tue, 17 May 2005 12:30:37

>> I tried to cancel, was assured that the cancellation was put through and
>> then kept getting bills for 5 months (the only way it stopped was to
>> order my credit card company to stop paying, and then * threatened
>> to stop my service.

I don't know the Canadian consumer credit laws, but down here, you can
dispute the charge on the credit card, and let the card issuer go after
*.   Probably to late now though.

Quote:>> Now maybe they have improved, but I would need a huge bunch of convincing.

I dunno - maybe some of it rubbed off onto the competition. I understand
that SPEWS (Spam Prevention Early Warning System - one of the important
mail black lists) is listing a major chunk of Telewest (the BBC story
says 900,000 addresses) "Blueyonder broadband service" about a week ago.
http://www.veryComputer.com/; The way
I hear it - it's windoze boxes used for spam zombies.

Quote:>Further to this, one of my friends on * recently got a scolding
>email telling him that he was 'using too much bandwidth and spoiling the
>service for other users, so could he please limit his downloads.
>Otherwise the might disconnect him.' For an UNLIMITED bandwidth
>connection (what he is paying them for)

I thought you were supposed to write a letter to The Times about this
high handed treatment   ;-)

Quote:>I would class that as bad service (contradictory even...). Just thought
>it would be worth mentioning.

Actually, I joke about the letter, but that might be an idea to pursue.
There is nothing companies like more than to be shown committing a Class 1
Category A case of gross stupidity, and have it documented by their own
hand.

        Old guy

UK ISP (Virgin.net)

Post by Unru » Tue, 17 May 2005 13:48:25

>>> I tried to cancel, was assured that the cancellation was put through and
>>> then kept getting bills for 5 months (the only way it stopped was to
>>> order my credit card company to stop paying, and then * threatened
>>> to stop my service.
>I don't know the Canadian consumer credit laws, but down here, you can
>dispute the charge on the credit card, and let the card issuer go after
>*.   Probably to late now though.

That was exactly what I did. As I recall I finally ended up paying nothing.
* was even so incompetent that when the credit card company wrote to
them asking for their side of the dispute, they never bothered answering
the credit card company!

1. name server address for virgin.net or anyone in the uk

can someone please tell me the name server address for
virgin.net as they seem to be ignoring me 5-6 messages
over 5-6 days

And can someone tell me where the faq for this group is
also has comp.os.linux.answers died or what ?
--
manics-at-rocketmail-dot-com

2. 2.4.8 NFS Problems

3. Recent problems connecting to virgin.net as ISP

4. tar to 4mm Tape Drive

5. Connecting to internet (Virgin Net (UK)

6. XFree86 4.0 : Problem with right click popup menus

7. virgin.net

8. Need Info about F90

9. PPP networking connection to virgin.net

10. Strange problem accessing Virgin.net servers

11. wvdial and virgin.net not getting together

12. dns settings for uk isp screaming net

13. Announce - ISP FAQ - UK ISPs