help: not detecting network card, can't find 3c509b at boot time (not P&P )

help: not detecting network card, can't find 3c509b at boot time (not P&P )

Post by Nils Rennebar » Sat, 04 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Problem: Linux doesn't detect my 3com509b ethernet card even though I
>compiled support for it into the kernel.
>Hardware:
>GATEWAY 2000, P5-133, with
>Adaptec 2940 SCSI adapter (chooses IRQ 11) (the SCSI hard disk is
>connected to it)
>CD-ROM ATAPI (Sanyo, chooses IRQ 15)
>Sound Blaster 16 (chooses IRQ 5)
>ATI mach64 (PCI) (chooses IRQ 9, I think)
>3com 509b (set to IRQ 10, I/O 280h)

Two more ideas to try:
(Remember: Working under DOS is no guarantee that no IRQ/port conflicts
exist.)
1) In the BIOS PCI setup disable the IRQ for all PCI slots except the one
with the adaptec SCSI controller (set IRQ to N/A). The graphics card
won't need an IRQ line afaik.

2) try a few more io ports, i.e: 300, 310, 320, 330, 340,...
2a) try the new 3com509 driver together with hardware configuration
utility running under Linux. See
  http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/linux/
3) Remove CD-ROM and SoundBlaster and try again.

Nils

Post by Cameron L. Spitz » Sun, 05 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>Problem: Linux doesn't detect my 3com509b ethernet card even though I
>compiled support for it into the kernel.
>3) force detection at Lilo boot promt:
>"linux reserve=0x280,32 ether=10,0x280,eth0"
>(I tried both with and without the reserve command. The irq and I/O
>address are set to 10 and 280h respectively in the DOS configuration
>program).

I believe the reserve= option is for NE2000 cards, not EL3.

Quote:>4) change the ID_PORT from 0x100 to 0x110 and 0x120 in the 3c509.c
>file (the address 0x100 appears twice in 3c509.c, and i changed it
>both places).

In that case, you have the new driver that tries multiple ID ports
already.  Put it back to 0x100 both places!

Quote:>5) disable Plug and Play. That is, I tried but couldn't find an entry
>for it in the DOS configuration program (There should be a line "Plug
>and Play: Enabled/Disabled" below the modem line in the configuration
>program, but it did not exist. However, the computer vendor helped me
>disable Plug and play all together in the BIOS setup (he claims)).

That's your problem.  Disable "Plug and Play Capability" in the
configuration menu.  If it's not there, you have a very old Etherdisk.
Get a new one, ftp://ftp.3com.com/pub/adapters/drivers/3c5x9xx.exe.
This is a self-decompressing zipfile.
(There is code in the new 3c509.c that unhangs one of the Plug and
Play hangs, but I believe there are others.)

It wouldn't hurt to try it without the Soundblaster, too.

Cameron
--
               ++++ stop de execution of Mumia Abu-Jamal ++++
       ++++ if you agree copy these 3 sentences in your own sig ++++

Post by Paul Gortmak » Tue, 07 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>>"linux reserve=0x280,32 ether=10,0x280,eth0"
>I believe the reserve= option is for NE2000 cards, not EL3.

The reserve= can be used to "protect" any i/o area. It is not specific
to any piece of hardware, or ethernet for that matter. (kernel/resource.c)
A proper device probe shouldn't probe a reserved address, unless it
is explicitly given that address, as in the correct example above.

It was originally conceived to protect SCSI card probes from stepping
into a live ne2k card and locking the system though, so you are close.

Paul.

help: not detecting network card, can't find 3c509b at boot time (not P&P )

Post by Georges Meni » Fri, 10 Nov 1995 04:00:00

I had the same problem recently,
with the 3Com setup disk, i ran the auto-configure option
in the installation program, and then i disabled the plug-and-play
feature.
After a power off/on the card was detected.

Georges

1. HELP! Kernel does not find 3Com 3C509B card

From netcom.com!rsuri Thu Apr 20 04:06:32 1995
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.help

Subject: HELP! Kernel does not find 3Com 3C509B card

Date: Sat, 15 Apr 1995 03:56:19 GMT

Hi,

I've just installed Slackware networking package.  The problem is that
on booting, the kernel does not seem to find the 3Com Etherlink III card
(3C509B).  The ethernet HOWTO says that this card is fully supported.

On boot, when the rc.inet1 file is run, ifconfig return the following
error message:

SOICSIFADDR: No such device
SOICSIFBRDADDR: No such device

Of course, the route command also fails with the message:

SOICADDRT: Network is unreachable

I've even tried setting the kernel parameter 'ether' in LILO as follows:
        ether=10,0x300,eth0 (I'm sure the IRQ and I/O addr are correct)
But this does not change anything.

The card is a month old and worked fine when I had a Windows for Workgroups
network running on this very machine.

If anybody can shed any light on this problem, I'll be very grateful.

Thanks in advance,

--- Ravin Suri

2. Linux and Teac 4x CDROM

3. ethernet card not detected at boot time

4. Why "fdisk /dev/hdb1" works but not "fdisk /dev/hdb"!?

5. 3com 3c509B Combo not detected at boot

6. Impress -> Postscript translator

7. my 3c509b not detected by installed kernel, IS detected when I use net root disk.

8. Linux+windows98??

9. Help!! NCR53c810 not detected at boot time!

10. Network Card not detected at boot up

11. 1 of my 2 ethernet cards not found at boot time

12. SCSI card not found at boot time ..