Bridge failover time

Post by Bria » Sat, 17 Nov 2001 04:28:09

Hello,
I have 2 linux bridging firewalls. One master / root and the other one
is the failover. Everything works good so far. The only thing I cant
seem to do is to get the it takes to failover below 40 seconds. I've
read the "how to" and I've tried the changing the settings like
suggested. But the failover time still takes at least 40 seconds. Any
ideas on how else I could lower this?

Bridge failover time

Post by Dean Thompso » Sat, 17 Nov 2001 21:44:20

Hi!,

Quote:> I have 2 linux bridging firewalls. One master / root and the other one
> is the failover. Everything works good so far. The only thing I cant
> seem to do is to get the it takes to failover below 40 seconds. I've
> read the "how to" and I've tried the changing the settings like
> suggested. But the failover time still takes at least 40 seconds. Any
> ideas on how else I could lower this?

Some missing details, like what sort of failover system are you using on the
two systems ?, are you doing something like LVS's approach to fail-over or are
you using some other program to handle your fail-over situation ?

See ya

Dean Thompson

Bridge failover time

Post by Cedric Blanche » Sat, 17 Nov 2001 21:52:33

Quote:>> I have 2 linux bridging firewalls. One master / root and the other one
>> is the failover. Everything works good so far. The only thing I cant
>> seem to do is to get the it takes to failover below 40 seconds. I've
>> read the "how to" and I've tried the changing the settings like
>> suggested. But the failover time still takes at least 40 seconds. Any
>> ideas on how else I could lower this?
> Some missing details, like what sort of failover system are you using on the
> two systems ?, are you doing something like LVS's approach to fail-over or are
> you using some other program to handle your fail-over situation ?

Using spaning tree protocol between to Linux bridge, you can reduce
failover time to about 12 sec.
It is longer than failover provided by some Linux-HA or VRRPd.

--
BOFH excuse #58:

high pressure system failure

Bridge failover time

Post by Bria » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 02:39:35

Quote:> Some missing details, like what sort of failover system are you using on the
> two systems ?, are you doing something like LVS's approach to fail-over or are
> you using some other program to handle your fail-over situation ?

Yeah I forgot to mention that I'm using STP. The how-to's claim that
they can get the failover time down to 12 seconds but I havent been
able to get it that low. 40 seconds seems to be the lowest I can get
it. I can live with it but I would be much happier with a 12 second
failover.