"ping" a MAC address - which utility?

Post by NeXTste » Fri, 13 Dec 2002 04:49:25

is there any GNU utility to "ping" a MAC address?

I want to operate on layer 2

I know for HP-UX there's "linkloop" -- but ... what about GNU?

TIA, NeXTstep

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=linux%20ping%20mac

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.arachnoid.com

Post by Michael Heimin » Fri, 13 Dec 2002 05:53:24

> is there any GNU utility to "ping" a MAC address?

> I want to operate on layer 2

> I know for HP-UX there's "linkloop" -- but ... what about GNU?

man arping
Belongs (RH) to the iputils package.

Michael Heiming
--
Remove +SIGNS and www. if you expect an answer, sorry for inconvenience,
but I get tons of SPAM

"ping" a MAC address - which utility?

Post by NeXTste » Fri, 13 Dec 2002 06:55:08

Quote:> > is there any GNU utility to "ping" a MAC address?

> > I want to operate on layer 2

> > I know for HP-UX there's "linkloop" -- but ... what about GNU?

> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=linux%20ping%20mac

I checked before posting ...

Post by NeXTste » Fri, 13 Dec 2002 06:55:09

Quote:> > is there any GNU utility to "ping" a MAC address?

> > I want to operate on layer 2

> > I know for HP-UX there's "linkloop" -- but ... what about GNU?

> man arping
> Belongs (RH) to the iputils package.

thanks for replying

I checked "arping" - it seems like it is useful to get MAC address having
the IP address (arp request?)

I need something like:

Quote:>"pingmac" 00:50:c0:49:24:5a

"ping" a MAC address - which utility?

Post by Michael Heimin » Fri, 13 Dec 2002 07:18:48

[..]

Quote:> I checked "arping" - it seems like it is useful to get MAC address
> having the IP address (arp request?)

Right, arping is used, to anounce changed IP/MAC combinations to your
network. LVS (Linux Virtual Server) cluster use it.

Quote:> I need something like:

>>"pingmac" 00:50:c0:49:24:5a

You could 'ping <broadcastadr> -b' and run 'arp -n' afterwards to get
the MAC/IP . Haven't heard of a Linux tool, you tried a search at
freshmeat.net?

Could you explain what you are doing?

Michael Heiming
--
Remove +SIGNS and www. if you expect an answer, sorry for inconvenience,
but I get tons of SPAM

"ping" a MAC address - which utility?

Post by NeXTste » Fri, 13 Dec 2002 17:27:38

Quote:

> Could you explain what you are doing?

I want to know whether an ethernet interface is reachable, without using the
tcpip (or other layer 3) protocol.

I have problems reaching a host in my LAN. I don't know whether the problem
concerns the tcp/ip (a misconfiguration) or the "lower" level (let's say a
faulty cable, hub or whatever under the 3 layer).

"pinging" the MAC address would tell me that the ethernet interface is
reachable at 2 level. Then (maybe) the problem could be the higher levels

Anyway, just to let you know, I resolved the problem, using a software by
3com for windows (don't remember the name) - but it's a very big sofwate (20
mb) and even though I would like to have a unix implementation

Quote:> Michael Heiming

Thanks

Post by Michael Heimin » Fri, 13 Dec 2002 19:58:08

>> Could you explain what you are doing?

> I want to know whether an ethernet interface is reachable, without
> using the tcpip (or other layer 3) protocol.

> I have problems reaching a host in my LAN. I don't know whether the
> problem concerns the tcp/ip (a misconfiguration) or the "lower" level
> (let's say a faulty cable, hub or whatever under the 3 layer).

> "pinging" the MAC address would tell me that the ethernet interface is
> reachable at 2 level. Then (maybe) the problem could be the higher
> levels

Would try 'mii-diag/mii-tool' they can tell if the link is up. Or and
sniff on the device with tcpdump for arp. Of course this assumes, you
have a connection, preferable "serial" through a terminal server or
alike to the box. The error stats of ifconfig, usually give additional
hints, where the problem is.

Michael Heiming
--

Post by Timothy Murp » Fri, 13 Dec 2002 22:34:36

>I have problems reaching a host in my LAN. I don't know whether the problem
>concerns the tcp/ip (a misconfiguration) or the "lower" level (let's say a
>faulty cable, hub or whatever under the 3 layer).

Probably teaching grandmother to suck eggs, but ...
there is usually (always?) a little light on the Ethernet card
which flashes when packets pass through.
If there are no flashes when you ping then the card is not working.

Also, you should see what "ifconfig" says,
then look in /var/log/messages (and perhaps /var/log/dmesg)
to see if there is any mention of eth0,
and thirdly see what "lsmod" says about loaded modules.

I had your problem many ages ago,
and came to the conclusion then that there was no simple program
of the kind you are looking for,
and that one has to use slight detective work as above.
But things may have changed.

Just a few thoughts from a network-non-guru.

--
Timothy Murphy

tel: 086-233 6090

"ping" a MAC address - which utility?

Post by Raqueeb Hass » Sat, 14 Dec 2002 00:36:09

mii-tools, i believe.

raqueeb hassan
augusta, ga

Post by Michael Heimin » Sat, 14 Dec 2002 03:31:23

> mii-tools, i believe.

> raqueeb hassan
> augusta, ga

Strange, there's only mii-diag at Donald Becker's "Hp" (www.scyld.com).
RH and others come with mii-tool, however both work, the same way?

Michael Heiming
--

Post by Alberto Vassen » Sat, 14 Dec 2002 13:27:29

Quote:> I want to know whether an ethernet interface is reachable, without using
> the tcpip (or other layer 3) protocol.

For this reason I normally enable other protocols such as IPX and samba.

you may thus check thru other means: you may use for istance, the command
"net view" on a Windows PC, either get control over IPX of the remote
workstation by some useful utilities such as Laplink (Windows only), either
look on a NetWare server console which hosts are on by typing "display
servers"..

"ping" a MAC address - which utility?

Post by Stefan Taferne » Sat, 14 Dec 2002 18:03:40

Arping
  by Marvin - Tuesday, May 16th 2000 19:52 PST

About:
 Arping is an ARP level ping utility. It's good for finding out if an IP is
taken before you have routing to that subnet. It can also ping MAC
addresses directly. A rewrite that supports Libnet 1.1.x is included.

--Stefan